Vibe Z issues on cube orange+

Hi everyone,
we have a hexa 20inch prop setup, cube orange +

hard mounting on frame (with 3m dual side thin foam)

and we have done some vibe testing issues.

maiden flight, high level z vibes

and the second flight, we have tighten tie some frame wires to autopilot and the results are much better

any method to improve the z vibes more?

Hope this and this help you and good luck.

1 Like

New vibe test.
With the thick double sided 3M foam adhesive the vibe log improve but…

we see an extrange behaviour.

Vibe1 and Vibe 2 (isolated) have a lot of vibrations
Vibe3 (non isolated) have a very good values.

There is normal???

i had similar issue on same cube orange+. finally jusy adding external vibration damper may solve but never hard mount worked.

the issue its that in other drone frames and other cubes + (earlier series), we dont have any issues of vibes.

and we always mount the cubes hard mounting (3m double sided foam).

it’s probably a bad propeller or motor causing the vibrations, isolating the controller is just masking the issue.

i have got replacement new cube orange+ for my frame but its very worst incase of vibration compared to old cube.

its a new frame, very good stiffness. new motors (tmotor mn505) and new props. tmotor 2211

run the motor test one propeller at a time with the quad secured down and see if there is any large difference in z axis vibration between the motors, it should be obvious if one has much higher vibration than the rest.

The flight controller isn’t making the vibrations it’s just picking them up, the only moving parts are the motors and propellers so it has to be one of those making it shake.

do you experienced vibration issues with cube orange + vs cube orange?

cube orange + manage bad the vibe levels compared with standard orange cube?

i never used Cube orange i just compared CUBE orange+ vs New Balanced Gyro cube orange+

I conducted a comparative test between Cube Orange and Orange+. Previously, I affixed my Cube to the frame firmly using VHBs. I repeated the same process for Cube+, but encountered significantly higher vibration levels. Reverting to the original Cube Orange resolved the issue. Despite experimenting with various foams and VHBs for Cube+, the vibration levels remained largely unchanged. I plan to mount Cube on a vibration-dampened mount next, and I’ll provide updates on my findings.

2 Likes

This is the antivibration mount to use for a Cube and carrier, after exhausting all other possibilities.

Usually wiring and frame stiffness are the major contributors, after motors and props of course.
The typical/cheap antivibration mounts that are flat plates with 4 balls are NOT suitable.

2 Likes

Hi @xfacta,

Thanks for that. I’ve never seen this anti-vibration mount. We should consider updating this section of the wiki I suspect.

I’ve created a wiki to-do issue here Update recommended 3D printed vibration isolation mount · Issue #5870 · ArduPilot/ardupilot_wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Of note, those cheap ones with the silicone ball mounts that Shawn mentioned above seem to work well to tame the vibration on my combustion engined rovers.

But, as he mentioned, I’ve never had good success with one on a Copter and completely concur with the recommendation against them for that application.

1 Like

Yeah, at minimum you have to use the ones with angled silicon ball mounts, like this:

And a light weight FC can benefit from some weight fixed to the underside.

This is the sort that I believe is almost useless and should be avoided, where the silicon balls are already stretched

1 Like

These vibe levels are aceptable? (cube orange + still hard mounting)

we have made some work on FC wiring fixing amd the results are much better.

only imu3 (non isolated) have best values under 10 m/s/s

That could be OK - check if there is clipping.
You will need to examine a log periodically to ensure vibrations dont become excessive as motor bearings age, props become damaged and so on.

The harmonic notch filter configuration will be important.

I think Phillip said not to vibration mount his cube that was a few years ago. BTW I have some nasty vibrations on a new build going to do some testing to see why.

In this case the cube+ has hard mounted (with thick 3m foam).

1 Like