Using the boards from the hoverboard in autopilot.

very strange, does the stm programmer not detect it anymore?

Exactly, target not found. I got one controller to come back for a few minutes by shorting the capacitor on the NRST pin but then it wouldn’t program and verify and was dead.And this is a real stm32f103!

it might have been on its way out already, the quality on these boards aren’t fantastic.

Indeed. I have a box of dead boards for parts.

yea i have been buying up broken boards for £20 each most are just failed batteries but i have had a few with blown transistors and power regulators.

it would be nice to get telemetry from these boards into autopilot for monitoring board temperature and RPM.

what would be really nice is using the hall sensors to emulate a quadrature encoder so it can navigate without gps.

been out testing it in sand, it does quite well with the original tyres.

Had it out again today, the acceleration on this is cartoonish.

3 Likes

Super cool, my friend!

I think most of the issues discussed so far with respect to serial motor control and telemetry can be handled in Lua. Scripted custom drivers like that are likely the way of the future for ArduPilot.

2 Likes

I just read through the whole thread and watched all the videos! All very impressive! I never would have thought the hoverboard based units would run so well in sand. Man, if I had time for another project right now, I’d be working on one! Love it!

2 Likes

I keep looking at mars rover type articulating chassis. because the motors are in the wheels it would be relatively easy to make.

3 Likes

where do you get all your dead boards from, is there any criteria you look for when buying them?

they have to be the original old style ones, the slimmer newer ones use split mainboards that cant be reprogrammed.

I have just been buying all the broken ones i could get at a cheap price and ended up with 6, all apart from 1 had dead batteries, 1 had a dead main board, 1 was the modern type that i couldnt use, 1 had faulty hall sensors. so i ended up with 4 working controllers and wheel sets from 6 boards once I swapped some parts around.

A friend of mine with a bigger 3d printer done me a test tyre for the beach, it should have loads more grip on soft sand.

Is the tyre printed with TPU?

1 Like

I just bought some broken hoverboards to start and try to build a rover with them. Even Flipsky VESC are so expensive now, I can buy several broken hoverboards for the price of one of them. Even the set of 10" hoverboard wheels I bought a few years ago was more expensive than one broken but complete hoverboard.

1 Like

No its just pla plus, it should be ok offroad but it will probably come apart on road.

Cool, they are so cheap for what your getting. I was paying between £20-30 for them and your basically getting, 2 motors, 2 motor controllers, wheels, tyres and a chassis.

I wanted to go down the vesc route so i could link them all together with can for traction control but they are just too expensive now

1 Like

And a battery sometimes

Not very often i would say 90% of dead boards just have faulty batteries.

Yes, I bought the VESCs for 50€ on amazon or ebay. Now they are 80€+ on amazon and 100€+ on ebay. This gets really expensive if you want to build a 4wd or even a 6wd rover.

1 Like

exactly, i got 3 boards for the price on a single VESC.