RC radio input problems

Hello,

This is my first build. I’m using a pixhawk 6 mini with ppm encoder with a trigger and wheel style controller for an rc car. Everything works fine. I decided to use a joystick type controller instead. When I plug it in, in the radio calibration screen, all the green bars move up/down with each channel. It’s like all channels are being read as 1 which controls all of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

What brand radio and receiver?

Hot rc DS600

I’m not familiar with that type of radio. But if I remember correctly reading about it, that 4+2 receiver is only 4 channel and the channels are indeed coupled together. There’s another suitable receiver with true 6 channels. But no idea if that solves your problem.

Edit* found this part of the manual that perhaps helps a bit:

1.Function description The mixed control mode allows channel 1 and channel 2 to control two motors at the same time for throttle forward and backward or differential steering.

1. Setting method

a. The remote control is turned off first;

b. Press and hold the [channel 3] switch first, and then turn on the power switch of the remote control, the mixing indicator (green light) on the remote control panel will be on.

c. The operation method of opening and closing the mixing control is

the same, and the mixing control closing status indicator light will

go out.

I already tried it on that mix mode and it still didn’t work properly. Also, I got the 6 channel not the 4 +2. It’s weird because it works fine with just the esc and servo but when I plug into the pixhawk it doesn’t register. The reason I was trying this controller is because you can use with one hand. Are there another one similar to this that you’d recommend?

Is there a particular reason you need one handed operation? In general as a pilot flying you shouldn’t manipulate secondary control devices like a laptop with GCS software in flight.

If you need to activate secondary functions in flight then you should use controller with enough buttons or switches to facilitate that.

I’m not flying, it’s a boat. I want one handed because most of the time I’ll be using it on manual mode and it’s a lot easier with one hand. I’ve used the controller without the pixhawk. Just the esc and servo like a regular rc boat and the controller works fantastic. Also, this controller has 6 channels which is plenty of channels than what I need. I only really need 3. Steering, throttle, and one for flight mode I only need loiter. This controller has 6 channnels. I don’t even use telemetry so it’s not like I’m going to be distracted with my laptop.

Ok.

You can try forcing Pizhawk to look for PPM by disabling all other protocols.

If you have an oscilloscope you could check PPM encoder is producing correct signal.

Can you post a photo of the receiver setup?

Hi, I think I tried that. I can’t remember what the parameter was but “all” was checked, I I checked it, and instead checked “ppm” and nothing changed. the set up is a mess right now because I’m moved it from the rc car that I was using to learn the set up to my boat. But this is ppm encoder I’m using along with the rc radio above (I have the 6 channel no the 4+2)

It’s weird because if plug in only one channel, it sees it on the green bars correctly. Meaning it’s a joystick so it’s centered and left and right or up down are the max and min, but when I plug is a second channel, they both react the same but they’re not acting normal like centered. The stick being centered and left and down is min, but max I can only get up + right. If I do up only nothing changes, same if I do right only.

Seems like it should work, and it seems reasonable for your use case. But I’m not familiar with that hardware. I guess it’s possible that it’s producing output that is incompatible with ArduPilot.

It has the be the radio because when I use a different one everything works ok. Someone else had the same issue Ardurover calibration not working but and they were able to connect to UART ( not sure I how that is done) and they fixed it. I don’t think mine has UART, I think mine is PWM. The weird part is that if I plug in only one channel, that channel works properly. If plug in two or more they all merge and they’re not even centered or to at the min.

He is using a crsf protocol Rx connected to a UART configured for RC Input.

have you tried the ppm encoder with another receiver from another radio just to rule out a faulty encoder. you say the receiver works without the pixhawk and that the pixhawk works with another receiver, its the only thing you have not tested.

Yeah, I’ve tried a different transmitter with its respective receiver. I first set it up with a trigger and wheel rc car style with the receiver it came with. Then, tried this joystick one with its receiver. It didn’t work, so I took it off and put on the first one that work to make sure the ppm encoder didn’t break or had a loose connect idk. It worked so it leads me to believe that it’s the joystick radio.

I think your radio/receiver combo is a POS, most likely.

1 Like

Yeah maybe. I wish someone could explain why it’s reading the channels how it does. Even if it’s a POS it would be helpful to know why this one is, but the other that works is not?

Get a receiver that has a single SBUS output (or at least PPM), and avoid using that PWM to PPM adapter.

SBUS is preferred over PPM because the data within the frames includes other information, like if there’s a failsafe condition (loss of signal) - where as PPM is just all the different PWM channels merged into one.

How do I connect from that kind of receiver to my pixhawk 6 mini?

Pix 4 mini RC

1 Like

So the red is not connected? Which channel to I connect to on the receiver side?