MicroArduCopter, 3" props, Omnibus Nano, Success!

it can be done for sub $200, if desired, i do not really care about that part as it is all for fun and costs less than a crate of decent wine :slight_smile: - but, well, drivetrain with decent 4 motors - it is $24-26 per motor, ECSs are $17-15 apiece, or $60 for 4in1 unit - modern blheli32 type. old blheli_s can be found for quite less.

decent carbon fiber frame - around $100, less than decent :slight_smile: - can be found for about of $40.

FC stack can vary - one i just got - a kakute f7 is about $50 for FC. most folks use older F4 FCs - that can be found for $25 or so.

good video transmitter is about $50 - can be found for $20 if less than good :slight_smile: - again - i bet you get the point. r-xsr or r9mm receiver - $20. decent GPS unit is also about $35-$40. lidar i use - tfmini is $37.

all in all you get a bit of money spent on it all when it comes all together. most important part - FC needs to be on the rubber mounts - i will need to take rooster apart, it flipped on me today again as one prop was slightly bended - it was enough now to cause vibrations that did upset alt hold. it should be flyable with less than ideal props - i will need to suppress vibrations better.

Yea, what Paul said. What you see in the photo is $170. No Video hardware. I like building them and experimenting with the progress in technology. Itā€™s like building your own PC. You get what you want but are not saving any money :grinning:

Mine always get to be more expensive than Iā€™d like to admitā€¦
But I simply try not to ever add it all up :wink:
My frame, esc, FC, and motors and props are all about 160. But then my receiver, vtx and camera are about another 160. GPS ~40. Battery, ~15. Various straps, glue, wire, heatshrink, etc, maybe another 10.

Iā€™m getting close to $400. (maybe more after shipping on all that) But, itā€™s a 90 gram (w/out battery) HD camera auto-mision drone! Canā€™t buy that in the store.

1 Like

90g, wow. My 130 is 137g w/o battery and no video stuff. Motors account for it maybe, I used 1406 3600kv.

90g ā€“ Iā€™d call that a smart mosquito!

Itā€™s technically 95gā€¦ I shouldnā€™t exaggerate or underspec things hereā€¦
But yes, I think a lot of it is the motors. Iā€™m using little 1103 7800kv motors. Itā€™s still more power than I need! Donā€™t need powerful motors to lift 95g. (140-150g all up, depending on the battery)
Then every component I use is the lightest I can find. Unify pro VTX is very light. 20x20 ESC and FC. Runcam Mini Split cam, etc.
You can see it in the first post on the scale. Itā€™s 99 grams there, but my new GPS is 4 grams lighter than that one was.

1 Like

Cool, i also got 3600kv for my 3" build - and you say it has a good kick at 4s lipo? I was not sure about 3s or 4s. And 6000+kv would lock it into 3s only. Will see.

Split mini now has a version with a single board - but i am hesitant to burn an another $80 on it.

1 Like

Good kick is an understatement, itā€™s actually a handful. I tiny blip of throttle and itā€™s launching. I just bought a new 4S 1050mah battery for it but Iā€™m thinking about going to 3S.

1 Like

Somewhat OT, but any opinions among this micro crowd of the Holybro Kopis 2 RTF racing quad? Seems like a quick way to get a zippy quad running our favorite OSS firmware. Positive reviews. https://www.getfpv.com/holybro-kopis-2-fpv-racing-drone-pnp.html.
Obviously doesnā€™t scratch the itch of those who find building and experimentation at least half the funā€¦

Kelly

1 Like

It seems to have kakute f7, so you can flash both betaflught or arducopter into it, apparently. Seems like an ok build, a tad overpriced. Armattan frames all have lifetime warranty - that sort of justifies the $100 price. But, overall, it looks like an ok build. Good FC, modern esc and ok motors. As you already figured, i see most fun in building it but as a starting point it is a good kit.

Hi Wicked1,just a quick question my quad flies so well in stabilized as though the pids are spot on,when I do loiter,pos hold,circle etc I get small ossolations when it those modes,could you plese telll me what parameter to alter please,many thankā€™s

Does alt_hold work properly? Thatā€™s the next step.
If it is not smooth, try increasing your ā€œINS_ACCEL_Filterā€ to 20, or even 40.

If alt_hold is smooth, get back to me and Iā€™ll think about the PSC_ settings.

1 Like

thank you will do that dont think weather will allow testing tomorrow

Hi Wicked 1,I up the ins_accel_filter up to 40 and that cured it but its not holding alt as well have set it at 30 and will try again it was on 10 when I started but supper smooth now thank you so much

hi, pls define ā€˜not holdingā€™ - what does happen? the dead on alt hold at low altitude close to ground can only work with a lidar. baro will always have some propwash pressure on it - look at its log data - is it bumpy?

1 Like

Dont no what happened with that post,the quad is driftting up and down it did not do this wnen ins_accel_filter at 10,I will continue to play with this untill I get a happy medium,also I have a lidar here to fit when ive change a couple of hardware positionā€™s on the quad,thankā€™s for your help

What Iā€™ve found is that filter setting is directly related to the alt_hold/accel tuning.

The lower that filter, the lower the altitude PIDā€™s need to be. Since you raised the filter setting, Iā€™d imagine the PIDā€™s are too low, so now itā€™s not able to hold its altitude properly.

Increase the throttle accel PIDā€™s. And if you lowered the throttle rate and alt_hold P settings, you might need to increase them as well.
On my 250 size quad w/ the accel filter at 20, Iā€™m able to use the default PIDā€™s for the throttle accel pidā€™s. (I donā€™t remember what the default settings are, so youā€™ll have to look that up).
On my microquad w/ the accel filter at 10, I had to lower all the throttle accel and other altitude related PIDā€™s by more than 50% from the defaults.

1 Like

thank you Wicked1,will have a look at them and play about with them,and keep you posted,youve been so help full I can not thank you enough

Could u pls post your params file?

1 Like

will do the next time I connect to l computer,I use tablet for altering settingā€™s