MicroArduCopter, 3" props, Omnibus Nano, Success!

you’ll be surprised - i found one, at hobbyking, i think. and it was a perfect fit into chameleon cage as well. all looked good - only completely refused to stabilize. even its own stock camera was not stable - a garbage product.

you can see how it looked in the cage. the stabilizer controller is inside of that motor - an ideal solution, if it only would work :slight_smile:

this is it:

1 Like

Wow, things have changed since I looked into this a year or two ago!

Shouldn’t be long until they actually work :slight_smile:
Oh and at first glance I thought it was a full 3 axis gimbal, but that’s just one…
Not super impressive, then. For a single axis on a racer, I’d bet a servo would be good enough and lighter and easier… Assuming the gimbal mount stuff works on chibios.
It will auto-level, and you can assign a channel to it to manually adjust it.

2 Likes

The Hyperion Vengeance has a PWM controlled 1-axis camera that looks like you can make it work with most any FPV camera.

https://www.hyperion-world.com/en/p1774240-hp-fpven600cam

EDIT:
Might be the same thing as the Quanum one, though from what I’ve seen/read about the Vengeance, the OEM camera stabilizer works decently.

I’ll find out myself shortly.

1 Like

that looks like the exact same thing HK is selling, but for a much better price.

1 Like

While this thread is on the topic of construction, I should mention a couple things.

1: GPS
I installed the little matek gps/compass, and it’s great. It’s tiny, and still gets more satellites more quickly than the RTFQ Mini/BN-800 I was using.
It’s a little smaller than the GPS in my photo in the first post… That one was a CSG shop gps, which got destroyed the first day, while tuning the copter.

2: Crossfire
It’s great for medium-long range flights. It has mavlink telemetry. The nano receiver is tiny. smaller than r-xsr.
But, something they don’t make clear in the manual is that the telemetry link only works 100% in a relatively close range. After you get out further it switches to a limited telemetry link. GPS information is sent back, so you can still watch the trace in MP. But you can’t change any parameters or update missions. The altitude readout in MP stops working. HDOP stops, but sats is still transmitted. They have no technical documentation about what remains active in the limited mode.
I get the feeling they don’t have a lot of mavlink users, so it doesn’t get a lot of attention.

2 Likes

for radio topic - check the promotion at

this R9 stuff is quite interesting and r9mm receiver is smaller than r-xsr.

it is still going on. i got myself both lite and r9m - going to test it all soon. it is supposed to be up to 10km range, in max mode r9m does a dynamic 100mw-1w power, enough to hit the moon.

i bet 100mw would be more than enough. i did not test yet max range on my r-xsr - i think max i had it off was a 500-600 yards top. will see.

1 Like

Does the R9 system support mavlink telemetry? It wasn’t available yet when I bough my crossfire gear, so I haven’t done a lot of research on it.
That was my main requirement. That way I don’t need any converters or anything. Just plug it in to a serial port like a traditional telemetry modem. I originally thought I was getting full telemetry for the full range of my crossfire, and am kind of upset that it’s limited.

1 Like

from what i understand - yes, it does. i did not try it yet. i plan to put it on my long range 450mm go pro carrier that flies on a 5000mah lipo. not sure i want little rooster to go that far.

if you have X9+ taranis i would suggest to order that thing right away as it is now at promotion at 1/3 of its retail or so. r9mm receiver alone is $20. $29.99 for both is nothing.

i also got myself xlite radio but not sure i like it much. it has only 4 switches - 2 3position and 2 2position - it is quite restrictive compared to setup on the x9+, but, from other perspective, if used for racing small drone - i do not need gimbal control and all the different flight modes - will need to think it over. size wise it is nice - a copy of an xbox controller.
the problem is - r-xsr cannot be binded to both radios.

1 Like

Paul,

Any chance you can post a few photos of your current build?
Apologies if you already did, and I am too lazy/tired to scroll back through 128 posts in this thread…

Kelly

1 Like

It does. I use Frsky Passthrough with R9 systems and Alex’s excellent Lua Script on 2 different vehicles with PixRacers.

My 130 3" F4 Nano Test Bed. It was flying pretty well but had an odd crash so a bit of repair in process. On 4S this midget is a rocket. Still tuning but not bad for a hard mounted FC.

3 Likes

Does it work with mission planner and give you the ability to update mission parameters when you’ve flown out 500+ meters? Is it really full mavlink telemetry, or are you just getting basic telemetry readout on your transmitter?
I did a little research, and a lot of people seem to say it doesn’t really work, or is limited to 300 baud which isn’t enough for MP to get all the data.
But… things change fast and some of those posts I was reading were probably a year or more old.
I’m looking for full telemetry, as if I was using a standard rfd900 or whatever traditional telemetry modem.

No. It’s purpose is to display Mavlink data via Frsky passthrough protocol on the Transmitter. It does not replace a duplex telemetry system. I would imagine you would get the same data via OSD on your video device.
Project details here for those with Frsky:

1 Like

it is done on the Rooster 6" frame. I got it pre-built with drivetrain ‘as is’ - it came with a betaflight on the clracingf4 FC. then it was replaced with a kakute f7 aio and got split2 board added, tfmini lidar, halibro gps.
here are links to google drive - i bet it can be wrapped here to show up correctly as images - i am not sure how.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ydpWbsDGhQhEqowuYcYEN5hUm2DrisCbA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10SbDvP-o-37uzChanQjC11E6QgO6szYdtw/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R2OiGV64FmcmxSVOWbR2ccW9Qr_RAENknQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UaTXUQpG_cJzHbxJU5nUDsHVW2S-liAoMQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QRbIAojt9Q-jhb_YiJDXIbzQ2LyEvIVgAA/view?usp=sharing

so, if time permits in some future i will swap motors and ESCs to new ones i just bought, and will unsolder gps wires and put in shielded wires for all uart lines - but for now i have other ideas, will try to do all the same in the 3" format first on the owl frame - i want one safe model for my 8yr old daughter to fly - she really wants one but i am afraid to give her rooster of 7" chameleon.

hi, did you put an inverter there to feed frsky passthrough out?

on other topic - i have spent some time yesterday to setup frsky xlite taranis radio. it is a neat little thing but only comes with 4 switches - 2 pairs of 3 and 2 position switches.

i have found and done some setup to convert front panel trim cross buttons to work as 4 individual 2 way switches - a simple press turns it on, a press with ‘shift’ button turns it off - it allows to set 4 additional channels which is more than enough.

1 Like

That sounds pretty good. I go backpacking w/ my drone and have been thinking about getting a smaller transmitter. Someone already designed a 3d printable adapter so I can mount my full size crossfire in the new smaller module bay the xlite has.
I don’t need a lot of switches for the type of flying I do when I hike (which is mostly just manual flying around, looking at what’s around the area, etc)

without those additional 4 switches xlite is handicapped.

2 switches on the left i use for channel selection in the usual way - 1 3pos and 1 2 pos gives you 6 fligth modes.

right lower switch is a motor kill. upper right 3pos switch turns in simple mode and very top - optional, i set it to autotune now.

and this is it, if you do not have those 4 additional channels - it is not enough - to have RTL, to have fense, to have object avoidance, etc - you need more channels.

Depends on the FC. PixRacers don’t need one, Pixhawks do. The F4 Nano didn’t work w/o one but the R-XSR I have has both inverted and non-inverted SmartPort connections so I have to get back to that and try it again.

Thanks for the photos Dave and Paul. I’m normally a fixed wing fanatic, but these microArduCopters have me intrigued. What’s ballpark cost of frame+motors+ESCs+props+FC+GPS+cam+VTx+battery? Sub $200?

Kelly