Servers by jDrones

Hard landing causes all parameters to be reset to defaults?!?

(Chris) #1

About a year ago I set up a flying wing and spent a couple of days tuning and tweaking, since then it has given me 20+ hours of beautiful flight. Today as I threw it the prop adapter came a bit loose, so with no power it just came down a few meters away, hard but not hard enough to break anything.

After tightening the prop adapter I was about to throw it again when I noticed that the elevons were no longer doing elevon mixing, and my flight mode switch was not doing what it should.

I eventually discovered that every single parameter had been reset to the default values… how is this even possible?!?

I found some other similar cases, none of which seem to have any resolution:

Anyway since today’s plans with that plane are totally wrecked, I will instead spend the time going around to all my other planes and backing up their settings!!!

(James Pattison) #2

Thanks for the report Chris.
This shouldn’t be possible: someone will definitely look into it.
Do you have a log from that flight, and an an earlier flight (preferably same firmware version)?
Hardware configuration too please (flight controller and how it’s powered at a minimum).

(Chris) #3

Sorry I don’t have any logs. Now that I think about it, this was running the firmware provided by RadioLink for their Mini-Pix board, before they officially contributed to ChibiOS, so possibly not relevant to standard Ardupilot.

(James Pattison) #4

Ok, no worries.
Thanks.

(Matt) #5

The only way I’m aware of that this could happen is if someone or something set parameter SYSID_SW_MREV to 0. That will initiate a parameter reset on the next boot.

(Nathan E) #6

Do some boards have a physical reset switch that could cause this?

(basti) #7

@Naterater MiniPix does not. another (unlikely) possibility might be some issue with SD card parameter backup handling, like SD being ejected or displaced. i remember there was some issue with param handling that @tridge fixed over the course of https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/8888

i don’t know if that ever was relevant on RadioLink branded fw though as i never followed their update / version history.

basti.