FC and ESC all in one supported by Arducopter

An update on the Aikon AK32PIN V2 32Bit 35A 2-6S ESC. Aikon says it’s not stable at 2S so yet another 4in1 with bum information even on the manufactures website. Can’t blame the retailer here they just listed what they understood.

Here is another one:
Main description:

Spec for the same ESC:
ESC 2S

Can anyone suggest a 2S capable 4in1 preferably BLHeli_32?

@wicked1 is your man for 2s capable gear - I believe its slim pickings

That ESC works fine for me on 2s. Well, whichever version they were selling last year. All of the microcopters I’ve built have that ESC in them now. (I’ve tried a lot, and that one worked the best for me)
Even the Omnibus Nano many of us use is not rated for 2s. But, it works.

For me, the AK32PIN was one of the best low voltage ESC’s I tested. It definitely works down to 5v. I have seen my voltage drop down to under 5v and not had any issues. (though when that happens, I quickly ease up on the throttle to get the voltage back up). Most ESC’s I tested, even ones listed as supporting 2s, stopped working around 6.5-7v, which was not nearly low enough. The Ori32 (which is listed as 2s) goes dead at just under 7v, which was not usable.

Edit, I just read up a little… I don’t think the H7 you’re trying to use is rated for 2s either! (It has an 8v output). But I do expect it to work. I also have one sitting on my bench, and a wiring diagram all filled out and waiting for me to start soldering.

That’s good to hear! The same one, BLHeli_32 version? Down to 5V is good also as the power plan for this quad is a 2S Li-ion pack. 3s if it simply doesn’t work.

Yes, I know the 8V BEC won’t work.

I use the AK32PIN w/ 2s LiIon all the time.

LiIon are difficult… But worth it. Low voltage is a problem. Slow charge time is inconvenient. And magnetic interference is a challenge. I built a couple packs differently… Like, positive lead is long on one pack, while I built the next one backwards, and the negative lead is the longer one. They don’t work on the same copter w/out re-doing a magnetometer calibration.
But OTOH, I can fly for 20 minutes on a little 3" copter.

I didn’t notice what size vehicle you’re building, but doubt a little 3" prop copter could lift 3s.
The copter I’m working on now is a 5" prop copter, and am hoping to use 4s LiIon w/ it.

My ak32’s are definitely the BlHeli_32 version. I’m just not positive if they are v1 or v2. The boards look the same to me… When I look up v2 on google, it looks the same as the boards I have.

The plan is a 5" low pitch prop with 1404 3800kv motors. I have a ZOHD 2S Li-ion pack I use for a plane and I’m trying that 1st.

I was going to return this ESC but I think I’ll get to soldering! Thanks much for the tips.

That’s great! I have been wanting to do exactly the same… Basically smallest motors I can use to swing the props. But, for this project I decided to not spend any money, and am using old 22xx motors. And I decided to build a gimbal for it w/ a bunch of parts I already have sitting here, so it’s not going to be light anymore.

Yes. I built a 4" ~6mo ago with the Kakute-Mini and it flies great but it’s heavy and after the FAA action I want a sub 250g so here we are.

Urg…

Here’s where I am on mine… (Motors are a bit large for this cam, but they’re what I have)

Although I think I’ve decided to drop the 3rd axis and mount it hanging out front, so I can point the camera down.

That’s very cool! I’m waiting for motors.

Hey @dkemxr
Dave for the H743-Mini.
How are you powering it Is it direct from the battery with it’s own onboard bec or does it need 5vdc on some pin.

Right from the battery. 2S-8S capable. In my case it’s from the 4in1 ESC. Use the Vbat and Gnd pins on the 8-pin connector.

perfecto…One less part in the build.

@andyp1per I noticed that BLHeli passthru doesn’t work with the Matek H743-Mini. Using latest -dev version and latest BLHeli suite with a BLHeli_32 4in1. I had to flash it back to BetaFlight to configure some motor directions. I haven’t seen this reported elswhere so I’m wondering what the problem is I might be having.

1 Like

@dkemxr I’ve seen this on a Durandal, I suspect it’s timing related - if I get a chance I will take a look as I have a H743 slim

Are you using my bi-directional dshot config or the regular one? If you are using the regular one try the bi-dir config just in case its due to timer/dma allocation

The regular -dev version. I’ll give the bi-dir one a try. At some point this would ne nice to get working as there are some new developments in BLHeli__32 that the ESC I have supports and flashing back and forth to Betaflight is a pain… Sine modulation and variable pwm frequency. I realize neither of these will make a practical difference in how I fly but it’s still fun to experiment!

Note: To be clear I have not flashed the firmware that support these features so that’s not the problem. It’s still on 32.7

@andyp1per Moving this over to the Bi-dir thread where it belongs.

@dkemxr
Hey Dave I got my Mayek today.
I went to their site got the instructions to flash it. Used the STM32 programmer.
Slick as poop. It was done in no time and working. I am super impressed with it. It seems fast and so very small. Wow.
I bought it for a project that I might not be going forward on so not sure what I am going to do with it just yet.
But wow…thanks for the suggestion.

That’s great! Yea, I have had my 5" only flying in the house because it’s so darn cold outside. There is some weirdness with Roll creeping in while it sits on the bench heating up but I have been playing around with the new IMU TC comp in Master and it could be entirely related to that. Also, the combination with the 4in1 I have doesn’t run bidirectional dshot while others have had no problem. But again I have been playing around with a beta version of the ESC firmware so maybe it’s to be expected. Regular ESC telemetry works good to drive the notch filter.

cool
Well I have no interest in bidirectional…so no worries there.
Let me know about the temp compensation… sounds interesting.
I was sent a whoop frame and wondering if it can go on that, I am not sure what I will do with it.
I have a swellpro Spry frame and was going to put in on that machine but there just isn’t the space for it.]

so things that make you go hmmmmmm

Just to be clear if you haven’t been following this. Bi-directional Dshot sends RPM data back to the Flight controller on the same ESC signal wire. So after every DSshot data packet* is sent RPM data is returned. So RPM data is received at the ESC update rate. Wayyyy faster than the telemetry rate on a serial port from standard ESC telemetry and a serial port is not required for RPM data. A better reference for the notch filter.

*OK, I’m not sure if it’s after every Dshot packet, Dr. Piper would have to answer that :grinning: