Copter-3.6.0-rc11 available for beta testing

We’ve just released Copter-3.6.0-rc11 for beta testing and it should be available for download using MP and QGC using the “beta firmware” links in a couple of hours.

This is a relatively minor update which includes just the following 3 bug fixes:

a) PosHold fix to initialise desired accelerations (fixes a possible fly away risk)
b) Automatic compass orientation fix to account for equivalent rotations
c) ChibiOS fix to RSSI voltage reading

There are a few issues we are looking into including those listed below, but I’d really appreciate it if people could remind me of issues they have seen in recent release candidates that they have not received satisfactory explanations for so I can be sure we can’t missed anything.

I’m somewhat hopeful this could be our final release candidate before we “soft launch” Copter-3.6. FYI a “soft launch” means we officially declare that Copter-3.6.0 is safe for general use and ask normal (i.e. non beta testers) to use it but the download is still only available using the beta testing link. This goes on for a couple of weeks and if all goes well we make it the default version for everyone.

2 Likes

Hi, I have safety button not working on Pixracer with ChibiOs (no problem with NuttX). Is this something known?

Hi Randy, regarding my question in 3.6.0 rc10.
14 days ago:
I have loaded on both my Helicopters Copter 3.6.0 rc10 the ChibioOS version. On both Helis with identical FC Pixhawk 2.1 cube and LIDAR-Lite 3 Laser Rangefinder. In both Helicopters the Rangefinder is not working with ChibioOS. But loading back NuttX Copter 3.6.0 rc8,rc9,or rc10 the Laser Rangefinders are working. This is repeatable.
I must let you know I do not connect my Lasers with the I2C cables.
It works perfectly on both Helis but with NuttX only.

Randy,

Would you incorporate the patch https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/pull/9423 into Copter-3.6?
This affects the altitude of HOME which auto set on arming, then waypoint altitudes.

Horiuchi-san,

I was not planning on including it but after a chat with @wickedshell I think I will include it in our next release candidate. I don’t actually understand what it makes better. It seems like we haven’t seen any cases where it really makes a difference… anyway, I’ll include it because we think it’s low risk to include.

Fred,

Re the lidar-lite3, I guess the sensor is connected using PWM as described here on the wiki?

Hi, i cant make it flying, no i/o thread heartbeat(),it works fine with 3.5.7, did anyone had/solved this problem?

Yes, and I use it that way on both Helis and it works only with Nuttx on both. I fly the newest 3.6.rc11 and I am happy so far. New Loiter is not that solid hovering anymore what I am used to with the old one.
I also changed to the Chibios even with my Quad copter. All good but my Lidar lite - PMW do not work in Chibios.

Hello, I had also this problem but only with my pixhack v3 and was able to solve the issue with using a different sd card (SanDisk ultra class 10) . With pixhawk 2.1 never saw this warning massage.

Randy,

Thank you for planning to incorporate.
I am concerned about the following case:

• Suppose drone is on the ground, and EKF origin altitude is 21.92m.
  • On arming, HOME altitude is automatically set to 21.00m, not 21.92m due to this bug.
  • The relative altitude on the ground will be calculated as 0.92m, so the takeoff altitude is 0.92m lower than expected, and following WPs will be handled similary.
1 Like

Thank you for your reply , i tried at first with a Kingston class 10, same problem , then i put the Sandisk, i had in my Mobius, and its working…very sensitive!:wink:

1 Like

Fred,

I’ve investigated the LidarLite PWM driver not working under ChibiOS. I’m afraid to say that this is a known missing feature of ChibiOS. It’s on the to-do list to add support for RangeFinders that output PWM but it’s unlikely to be done for the 3.6.0 release. It’s possible we will resolve this in a later point release (i.e. 3.6.1, 3.6.2, etc). Until then I’m afraid the NuttX build is the one to stick with if the LidarLite PWM range finder is a required.

1 Like

Sergey,

Thanks for the report. The Pixracer safety button issue is also on the list to investigate.

Sergey,

I’ve tested the safety switch on a Pixracer with ChibiOS and I’m not seeing any real issues. Perhaps I don’t know exactly what to look for. Can you be more specific about the issue that you’re seeing? What are the symptoms? If you have a dataflash log that might also be helpful.

@rmackay9 sure I will retest today evening.
Maybe it is related to the exact BRD_SAFETY_OPTION value. For me it is configured in a way to require a button press to arm; Then any further press cannot disarm. I don’t recall the exact value but I will report.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I will wait until it is fixed in Chibios.

Hey all,im flying since first beta and i can say its awsome. I really like new loiter… Im testing it on my F450 with pixhawk fmu4. The only issue i saw in this beta’s was when i first time take off and back the throttle to mid the quad continiue to raise alt to about 4-5 meter then stop. This was fixed i think in rc9 and now is fine. Also i see as some other people here that new loiter is not lock in position in hover like PosHold. I tryed to reduce LOIT_ACC_MAX to 150 and i got less wobling around. Keep this good work up!

1 Like

Randy,
On safety button doesn’t work on Pixracer. Still repro for me.
I’ve done a further testing:
With BRD_SAFETY_OPTION = 3 - works well on both ChibiOs and NuttX
With BRD_SAFETY_OPTION = 1 - works well on NuttX, does not work on ChibiOs.

Do you want me to create an issue? Also there are bin logs exists but I believe there nothing interesting except details I’ve provided above.
Thanks!

Tested today Rc-11 and it seems fine in general flight and GPS loiter mode is cool. My small quad has some jerks but smooths out about 50% in flight. I noticed smart return to land was missing error checking told me about the missing flight mode so that’s nice. some pre flight logging messages. Running Pixhawk.

" https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jfi19lmnsrvb36/IMG_1929.MOV?dl=0 "

" https://www.dropbox.com/s/82g3f9aksptfn4d/IMG_1927.MOV?dl=0 "

1 Like