Control RunCam Split 4 video recording from a radio transmitter

On the Split4 with CAM_RC_TYPE=3 and default options:

• Video start/stop is controlled by setting your RCx_OPTION to runcam control
  • Right stick hard right enters the OSD menu or presses enter on a menu item, hard left exits the menu, up down are up down

Same on the hybrid on the regular HD uart, but on the SD uart the stick control is betaflight - left stick hard right to enter menu and enter option. Right stick to navigate. RIght stick hard up to enter advanced menu. Basically it operates more like the 5-key remote.

That said, you say you are checking control surfaces while not armed, is there a way of controlling this? I might have to disable this while in the OSD menu.

Finally tested on tiny copter with RunCam Split 4 4k - start/stop switch now in fact working! :+1:

Menu works too - you did it, thanks!! Will be checking F405-WING with Hybrid next asap.

Could you make a version of this (for F405 and F405-WING) that also works with the latest Yaapu CRSF? It stopped working when I installed the above version.

As for control surfaces: I was just wondering if checking aileron directions on a wing before launch/unarmed would always invoke the menu. But itā€™s not a big deal as you can always navigate back out of it when it appears.

Probably best to wait for @yaapu to rebase his code and then ask for a build, he is doing a number of changes at the moment.

The aileron directions thing - I have an idea how this might be solved. I am guessing you do this after pressing the safety switch (or donā€™t use a safety switch)?

Ok, the real (outdoor) flying season is over for me anyway, so no problem to wait.

I just looked up what a safety switch is (actually quite interesting that you can enable/disable certain channels only, might use that in the future). Iā€™m just using an arm switch on everything (and sometimes I even flip it in the right moment).

Now also tested on F405-WING with RunCam Hybrid - start/stop switch works there as well!

The menu / modes (CAM_RC_TYPE=3) are a bit odd though. Left stick left brings up ā€œHD Previewā€ (= recording stopped) mode or ā€œQR modeā€ (AP OSD disappears mysteriously).

In both cases, recording is stopped if it was running. But the real problem is that very often I end up with a combination of ā€œQR modeā€ and the AP OSD after exiting the modes mode with right stick right.

In that situation, recording cannot be started anymore via the switch, so I have go into modes mode again and try exiting it again until I get a combination of ā€œHD previewā€ (= recording stopped state) and the AP OSD. Only then can I start the recording again via the switch.

This could occur very often when checking the surfaces before flight or even by accident. Maybe a quick fix would be to simply extend the time it takes for the stick movements to be detected? Like for example, modes mode would only be entered after right stick hard left being held for 5 or even 10 seconds?

Yeah, I didnā€™t create separate menu structure for HD/QR - I think probably what you should do is simply disable OSD entry from the sticks on that camera I think CAM_RC_CONTROL=0 should do it.

Well, it would be nice to be able to use QR mode to switch from 2.7k/60fps (windy days) to 4k/30fps (calm days) particularly on this small 600mm wing, so if itā€™s not too much of a hassle to increase the ā€œdetection timeā€ā€¦

Another question, since Iā€™m no coder: Once @yaapu updates his binaries, will your latest version of RunCam control be automatically included? Iā€™m not aware of how this works, new additions sometimes seem to magically appear together with someone elseā€™s latest contributions, and sometimes not.

My current changes are merged so as long as he rebases they will appear in his build

So thinking about this you really need to move the OSD entry to a switch if you want to test your control surfaces. I was thinking I would disable the servos in OSD menu, but that does not really help you - if you want to be able to test the control surfaces you cannot also be able to enter the OSD menu using the sticks.

I personally would be totally happy if I just needed to hold the sticks longer (a few seconds) for the menu functions. When I test the surfaces, I just quickly wiggle the sticks. So if that wouldnā€™t trigger the menu (or in case of the Hybrid, the QR/etc modes selection), Iā€™d be all set. The only drawback in my opinion would be that it slows down navigation, but since I wouldnā€™t access the menu that often, it wouldnā€™t matter to me.

In any case, itā€™s not urgent - I put all my batteries to storage now as I always do this time of the year. Itā€™s just getting dark too early and also too cold to have fun flying outside.

I have a Runcam Hybrid. l can change it with two switches. In one channel I have RC7_OPTIONS = 78 and I can start and stop recording. In another channel I have RC8_OPTIONS = 79 and changes into QR reading. I have not checked other options to enter ihe OSD menu.

I know the reply comes a bit late but Iā€™m only just starting to fly again after the long winter break. Thanks for the hint, will try this solution with 2 channels, and also disable OSD entry from the sticks with CAM_RC_CONTROL=0.

But since Iā€™ve been out of touch for months, I thought Iā€™d better ask first: Do I still need to look for special binaries in order to have Yaapu and Runcam Control, or is it now included with newer AP versions?

All included in the latest versions of 4.1

Great to hear, thanks.

Odd thing I noticed: Two of the CAM_RC values have changed by themselves after upgrading to the latest dev version, specificly:

CAM_RC_FEATURES,119 changed to 0
CAM_RC_TYPE,1 changed to 3

Is this supposed to be like that, and if yes, what exactly does this change mean?

The first one is set on startup, 0 means its not working which is bad

CAM_RC_TYPE shouldnā€™t change

Thanks, I havenā€™t actually tested RunCam control yet as the copter is only half-assembled at the moment. Will report back on how it goes.

Finally got around to testing this with a RunCam Split 4k. Start/Stop works perfectly with RCx_OPTION = 78, which is great.

RCx_OPTION = 79 does nothing on this cam, because it has no QR mode. Instead here we have an HD menu mode which is navigated by the 2 buttons on the cam PCB (not the joystick input which is for analog). But even if it was activated via OPTION 79, it probably wouldnā€™t be possible to use it with most switches on the TX, as it requires momentary pressing of 2 buttons, and only one switch on my TX is momentary.

Itā€™s not really important, the Hybrid is better than the Splits with its 2 lenses, and this will remain my only Split anyway. I will test Hybrid QR mode via 79 on another craft next.

Yeah its a pain - I communicated with RunCam about this as the driver for this camera is buggy, but didnā€™t make much progress. I thought the HD menu only had a couple of options, it didnā€™t seem that useful to me.

On my ARWing Mini, the QR mode of the Hybrid will be really important to change resolution/FPS depending on wind conditions. But the Split 4k is on my little 3" copter on which the PCB buttons are easily accessible when needed.

A few weeks ago I heard of a new Hybrid 2 - I hope they didnā€™t pick yet another method to do settings with that oneā€¦