Control RunCam Split 4 video recording from a radio transmitter

While the switch assigned for RCx_OPTION = 78 (start/stop) works great also on the ARWing, I couldn’t get QR mode to work via RCx_OPTION = 79 so far. AP OSD displays “RunCam Control Middle/Low/High” but the cam won’t switch to QR mode.

Unfortunately both LEDs on this Hybrid stopped working last year, so I can’t verify QR mode by the green light, but from my earlier experience using stick menus I think “QR Mode” should also be displayed via the cam OSD (like “HD Preview” in stopped recording mode).

Is there anything I might have overlooked? CAM_RC_CONTROL is still = 0.

I have a hybrid I can try. Can you possible post the details - all your settings, which FC, which uart you are connected to on the hybrid

Maybe it would save some time if we could somehow ping @andresrc who had it working, to find out if the displaying of “RuncamOSDControl Low/Mid/High” is normal when using the supposed QR switch - because I have a feeling it’s not supposed to show. By the way, I have RCx_OPTION = 79 on a pot since I ran out of switches, but that shouldn’t matter, should it?

I assume the connection is fine as I had everything working including QR mode last year, but only via stick movements which interfered with my ability to test surfaces prior to launch. Now start/stop recording works perfectly via a switch, so I don’t think it’s a wrong connection that keeps the QR switch from working. Just trying to save you some time. :wink:

The message is a new feature :wink:

Sorry, I had a big crash and my hybrid is not working anymore. I can’t help now, but it was working nice with two switches.

Sorry to hear that. :unamused: Can you remember if “QR Mode” was shown in the video feed (instead of, for example, “HD preview” in stopped recording mode), or something like “RunCamOSDControl Low/Mid/High”? I’m pretty sure I saw the cam displaying the mode last autumn, might even have a recording of the feed. Probably I still have something set incorrectly.

I am having same issue with runcam hybrid v2 and matek h743 wing fc with ardupilot. O seemed to have everything set up correctly. I don’t need the camera osd menu. I just want to start and stop hd recording via a switch. Have any of you found a solve for this issue.

I’ll try my hybrid this weekend and let you know

Thank sir, I am at a loss of how to solve this issue, but I really appreciate your help and looking into it.

Yeah, I’ve tried it and am encountering some issues. I will dig further into it in the week.

Ok, I have done a PR that I think fixes the issues I found:

Currently it mostly works if you select CAM_RC_TYPE = 3 and make sure auto recording is off

Ok ,set cam_rc_type= 3, even though 3 was not an option. Only shows 1= nothing, 2 = bmmcc. Still does nothing. I did notice on my ardupilot message screen when flip the switch on tx for video recording start it states invalid channel option 78.

Are you running 4.1beta3? There is no support in 4.0.x

I will look this evening to see what version firmware I am running, I believe it was the latest stable version, but will check this evening.

Also , I forgot ask you a question. I was using my laptop for ardupilot mission planner ( windows version)to change all my parameters, but after about a week of using it to set up my wing it started to have issues. every time I open mission planner it will freeze up, so ended up downloading mission planner (Linux version) on my tablet which does not freeze up, but did notice that some of the parameter settings that was on the windows version does not seem to show on the app based version. Have you come across windows based version of mission planner freezing up constantly and if so did they have fix for that. I have seen a lot of talk about other people having this issue, but no one has really addressed the issue. Cause I am wondering if the app version has limitations as far not being able to some parameters that would show up on the windows version, I will definitely look tonight ,when I get home and check the version of the firmware that is installed on my matek h743 wing fc.

Use the beta - I’ve not had any issues with that

Ok, I am running mission planner 1.3.74 version and ardupilot v.4.0.9 firmware on matek h743 wing fc. What version firmware do suggest for fc to solve the runcam hybrid issue and do I need a different version of mission planner for different fc firmware? Oh, and thank you by the way for all of your help, very appreciated.

You need to use ArduPilot 4.1 - since there is currently no beta for Plane you may have to wait. Copter 4.1 beta is out.

Well, here we go again. I moved a Split4k from an F405-CTR (where start/stop worked perfectly) to an F405-WING. On that FC I used the same UART I’m using in another wing to control a Hybrid (UART 6), which also works perfectly there. F405-CTR was AC, now it’s AP (obviously).

The settings are the proven ones, yet start/stop won’t work:

RCn_OPTION = 78 for start/stop
SERIAL6_PROTOCOL = 26

CAM_RC_BT_DELAY,7000
CAM_RC_BTN_DELAY,300
CAM_RC_CONTROL,0
CAM_RC_FEATURES,247
CAM_RC_MDE_DELAY,800
CAM_RC_TYPE,3

One thing I noticed is that the features populated by querying the cam include all boxes ticked - except “Stop recording”. So I ticked that one manually but even after many attempts the cam won’t react to the switch I set. So what is it this time? :wink:

And something I noticed while working on this and really got me excited: There is now SERIALn_PROTOCOL = 27 - Smart Audio?! I found this page but it looks a little broken on my browsers: https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs//common-vtx.html

I was really waiting for this. So far I’ve been controlling SA VTXs directly from the Crossfire RX but of course it’s much nicer to have it integrated into AP. Also some VTXs (Rush, for instance) don’t understand the SA signal coming from the TBS RX so I had to press physical buttons on the VTX with those. Can’t wait to try it out!

So the only difference is the flight controller and it works on one and not on the other? Or are you saying the difference is AP vs AC?