Control RunCam Split 4 video recording from a radio transmitter

I now also have a RunCam Split 4 available for testing, connected to an F405-CTR with ArduCopter, in case more debugging is needed.

This one has the same 2 physical buttons as the Hybrid, one of which is again start/stop. The other however doesn’t switch to QR reader mode but instead menu mode. This brings up a menu that can be navigated with the 2 physical buttons.

Additionally, a joystick/pad can be connected - I have yet to check if it brings up the same (HD/4k settings) menu or a separate one for FPV settings (PAL/NTSC, aspect ratio etc.) only but I assume the latter.

Maybe RunCam should stick to just one variant to make things a little easier…

Ok can you try this one with the patched firmware I posted - sounds like it may be more appropriate

• CAM_RC_CONTROL only configures methods to enter the menu, so if I don’t want to enter the menu (and instead just emulate pressing the 2 physical buttons), I could practically ignore it completely?

Yes you could set it to zero to disable menu entry

• Likewise, RCx_OPTION = 79 only refers to the menu, so I don’t need it either?

Correct

• RCx_OPTION = 78 is the one to assign a channel/switch on the transmitter to pressing the 2 physical start/stop and mode switch buttons?

Correct

• CAM_RC_TYPE has the following options: “RunCam Split Micro/RunCam with UART” and “RunCam Split” - but without a UART, there is no cam control possible?

By UART here I mean “joystick control over UART” which not all cameras have. The issue is that you need to know how to get in and out of the menu. Currently the code caters for 3 different kinds:

1. Cameras that have two buttons one of which switches between OSD and non-OSD
  2. Cameras that have two buttons one of which switches between OSD, Picture mode and non-OSD
  3. Cameras that have no buttons but support joysticks

The default behaviour is to support (1) & (3) (type 1), the odd one out is (2) (type 2)
The two cameras you have now include extra options!

While menu navigation would be nice to have as a bonus, the by far most important thing to me and the thread op is simply a switch on the transmitter that starts and stops recording at high/low position. So recording could be started manually at launch, without opening the hatch again to press a tiny button on the RunCam Hybrid/Split. Sometimes it takes a few minutes from connecting the battery/closing the hatch to the actual launch, and the 4k video recorded during these minutes is just wasted sd card/disk space.

Yes understand and this works on all the RunCams I have that support video recording

Urgh, so ultimately we are going to have to support 2-key and 5-key modes at the same time. I suspect for now it makes sense to be able to configure which one you want.

I would need one for F405-CTR then.

I think I’ll then focus on the Split 4 and leave the Hybrid aside for now, because the Split is in a tiny copter, much more convenient to handle for testing than a wing.

There is no F405-CTR target, what firmware do you usually use for this?
The options are MatekF405, MatekF405-STD, MatekF405-Wing

I use MatekF405 target firmware. Thanks!

Thanks, it’s a tiny copter though, probably should have mentioned this more clearly. :wink:

Thanks, I was a lot more successful now. I found out that I can start/stop recording in the following way on both RunCam Split 4 and RunCam Hybrid - with 1 difference:

RCS4:

• Right stick right -> menu appears instead of AP OSD (and can actually be used, nice!)
  • Right stick right -> both AP OSD and menu disappear - as long as no menu entry is blue = selected!
  • In that mode (which shows only the recording format) recording can be started/stopped by right stick up or down
  • Right stick left -> back to AP OSD

RCH:

• Right stick left -> AP OSD disappears
  • In that mode (which shows only the recording format) recording can be started/stopped by right stick up or down
  • Right stick right -> QR mode (can probably be used to adjust HD settings)
  • Right stick right -> back to AP OSD

So while recording via switch is still not possible (runcamcontrol low/mid/high has no effect in any state), this seems like a viable way to start/stop recording. :+1:

Question: I saw a message “PREARM: IN MENU” or so, but only on the RC4. But I guess the whole RunCam control is disabled while armed anyway, so the AP OSD cannot disappear in flight? For even more safety, maybe a check for minimum throttle could be included, so that all the right stick actions only work when the left stick is down, even while disarmed.

In any case, I had almost given up on this - I’m glad I tried again!

Er, well pleased you got something working - but this doesn’t sound right at all! Which firmware was this with?

Yes the OSD controls are disabled while armed.

I am seeing whether I can get some of these devices to debug on.

It was on F405-CTR (RCS4) and F405-Wing (RCH) using the latest versions you had posted for those.

Anything that works is ok with me personally. :wink: But RunCam should really send you some samples, with all the work you put into this already. They probably only tested it with BF and maybe INAV themselves.

Ok good info thanks - so my updated firmware does fix something!

The hybrid has two UART connections - which one are you wired to?

I’m going to be able to get these cameras one way or another, stayed tuned

I use the bigger pads for FC connection and the smaller ones for a joystick (analog menu only, not the menu brought up by RunCam control) - although according to the manual, the smaller ones are sometimes also used for FC connection, but only in case of FW update via app… I guess they couldn’t make it any more confusing. :wink:

Yes, I also think the only way this can ever be solved completely is for you to have those cams yourself.

EDIT: The joypad is used for both menus after all. Analog (FPV) menu is entered by long-pressing up, otherwise it’s the digital menu.

I have reproduced the problem on the Split4 4k and it looks like a firmware bug to me. I have opened a ticket with RunCam.

@sandre @UnknownPilot

Matek405-Wing/Plane:

Matek765-Wing/Plane:

Matek405/Copter:

For the Runcam4 4k set CAM_RC_TYPE=3
For the Hybrid using the Video/QR menu (bigger UART pads) set CAM_RC_TYPE=3
For the Hybrid using the Race menu (smaller UART pads) set CAM_RC_TYPE=1
On the Hybrid video start/stop will only work with the Video/QR menu. There is currently no way to control both menus at the same time.

Let me know how it goes

I’ll get to it asap. In the meantime, could you briefly explain how it’s supposed to work if it works correctly, i.e. what the stick movements are supposed to do? Especially start/stop, because last time I had it working via right stick up or down - but while the menu is shown, that probably won’t work because it then navigates the menu. Thanks!