Benewake TFmini LIDAR works on Ardupilot

Yes there is a new model released with I2C interface

1 Like

Ah new model…I missed that.
Super thanks…now I have to think of what I want to do with my current build. I am in teh process of designing an integrated power board and have connections for a serial FT Mini. Perhaps I should mod the design while I can to add I2C.
Thanks for letting me know, can I find it on the Benewake site. I don’t see it there but maybe I am not looking in the right place.

1 Like

Most of the info is within this thread, read back to 105 :wink:

1 Like

Found it. Thanks
Thanks for the support.

1 Like

@ppoirier Yes, you are right, after changing the I2C TFmini address successfully, it will be saved in the flash, even if it’s powered on again, it will not change this address. : )

1 Like

Hello, friend, if you interested in TFmini with I2C interface, we have an open task to develop/add the I2C protocol to the latest firmware for APM developer, welcome to check.

TFmini I2C version Datasheet below:
02_TFmini-I²C-Datasheet V1.1 EN.pdf (401.6 KB)

Pls check my another Blog for more info:

Hi,
Are you talking about a new TFMini module, with i2c support, or is it possible to take existing, Serial, TFmini and convert to i2c using the new firmware?
Cheers.

2 Likes

@Shao Hi, the TFmini module is with I2C support. And we hope to make it works with Ardupilot & Pixhawk directly. Pls check the Firmware Development Task file to know more. : )

Sorry still not quite clear - are you saying that at some point in the future I will be able to take my existing TFMini modules, purchased last year that are currently serial, apply a new firmware and use them as i2c instead, or will I need to buy new/different TFMini modules to get this feature?

1 Like

no there is a new TF Mini that supports I2C.
The old one is still serial

1 Like

Thanks Ricky. So for existing projects the converter is still the way forward if we want i2c? To be honest I’ve come to terms with using a dozen CP2102 usb-serial adaptors as these can power the TFMini too so not that bothered…
Do you know anything about whether the new TFMini Plus will support i2c out of the box?

2 Likes

Yes I am no expert but I know there is an I2C version. I have attached the tech notes on it.
I believe there will be two versions going forward. I2c and UART.
I am seriously thinking of moving to an I2C version so I am not taking up all my uart ports.

Enjoy the read.,
02_TFmini-I²C-Datasheet V1.1 EN.pdf (401.6 KB)

1 Like

I did see that datasheet before; it’s a bit strange as it’s not listed anywhere on Benewake’s page so I was half-wondering if it actually simply refers to this product, which is just the normal version with an external serial-i2c adapter: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14786
This seems a bit different to a few other discussions; one from Benewake talking about a task to add firmware support for the i2c, and to this image, which shows a TFMini (V1.5.3, no other markings) but talks about i2c addresses - I’m a little confused; can’t find where this image originates either…

At this point I would defer to Patrick.
I got an email a week ago about the I2C version. But Patrick is the pro on the subject.

1 Like

I am guessing that technically both units could use the same hardware platform (see below), but this might not be possible for different reasons like support or warranty, @Siya might be able to answer.

They are sold as 2 different units @ sparkfun

2 Likes

See this is why Patrick is my hero
Plus he is Canadian…Thats an extra point for him lol

2 Likes

Yeah, feel like the Sparkfun offering confuses the matter. This device, part of that product, is a separate serial-to-i2c converter, produced by Benewaake, which would work just fine with any TFMini:

That’s not the same as the circuit in the other image, which appears to show an actual TFMini module that natively supports I2C (which is also what the thread about firmware elsewhere implies).#

My question, basically, is: Is there a separate TFMini module that supports i2c without the “boost” board? If so, where can one get it and other related questions.

1 Like

This is not a Serial to I2c converter, it is a power conditionner + a I2C bus driver… look on previous posts above , I made the same wrong assumption :wink:

2 Likes

Aha. Thanks so much, that makes a lot more sense!

1 Like

Hi, everyone. TFmini I2C version and TFmini UART serial version are two different versions, we could say they are different TFmini. : )

2 Likes