Widening servo range - 180 degree servos

Hey.
I need a 180 degree servo for vectored thrust tailsitter.

1. Looks like it’s preety hard to find any 180 degree servo with torque enough to handle a bigger machine. Do You know any high quality, high torque 180 degree servos up there ?
  2. Is there an option to widen the PWM range on the servo rail output, like from 500-2500 to widen the operating range of some digital servos ?

I use some very strong HiTec brand servos to control hydrostatic drives on a zero turn lawnmower. I’m not sure what specs you need, but they make quite a few 180° servos, one of which would almost certainly work for you.

EDIT:
Amazon link to the servos I use, which are probably overkill for your project.

HiTec homepage where you can see the entire lineup.

2 Likes

Thank You very much. Indeed, I can see the 7xxx series is programmable, and it can rotate 180 degrees. Lots of options there.
As for Your servo - is it 180 degrees stock, or do you have to program it with some kind of hitec device ?
They don’t give the rotation range in any specifications :confused:
Thanks !

you can use mission planner servo calibration menu to set the PWM range you need.
I use JX 180° 4409MG servo to tilt small 2212 motors and I can get 180° travel from 500 to 2500µs. But for a thrust vectored tailsitter or bellysitter you dont need 180°.
+80 - 45 is already correct for a bellysitter. Dual-motor tailsitters - #912 by losawing
I think Hitec servos must be programmed to extend the travel range. @lorbass use hitec servo for a successful belly sitter Dual-motor tailsitters - #1016 by lorbass

I’m pretty sure the HiTec digital servo range can be programmed for a full 360° rotation. Mine is near 180° without programming, but I never measured, and the stock throw was adequate for my needs.

3 Likes

I didn’t know how to use 500 to 2500µs range, but I found it on full parameter list - looks like this is the way.
As for “a thrust vectored tailsitter or bellysitter you dont need 180°. +80 - 45 is already correct for a bellysitter.” - You don’t unless you want to be prepared for flipping upside down during landings.

I want to extend my pan/tilt travel range. My servo spec calls for 500 to 2500uSec.
Does anyone know how to change this?