VTOL Plane Project - Follow our journey!

A thing to note is that we could not flip it in Qhover but it is happy to do barrel rolls in Qloiter.
Is Q_ANGLE_MAX still active in Qloiter? Are there different PIDs for qloiter which could be the issue?

Thank you all

Ok, we found Q_LOIT_ANG_MAX and it was higher than our Q_ANGLE_MAX. We’ve lowered and are going for another try.

Things that we are testing now are

• Q_LOIT_ACC_MAX
  • Q_LOIT_ANG_MAX
  • Q_LOIT_BRK_ACCEL
  • Q_LOIT_BRK_DELAY
  • Q_LOIT_BRK_JERK
  • Q_LOIT_SPEED

Will report back

Really big overshoot and oscillation. :confused:

Hallo
Is the hover stable without using GPS on qhover or qstabilize mode? I have a plan to build vtol without GPS module. Thanks you

1 Like

Yes but it drifts in the horizontal plane :slight_smile:

Hello everyone!

Today we updated to 4.1.0 fw and went for an autotune. It performed pretty good in yaw which left us excited to try another axis. Roll has been a troubling thing for us and thus we decided to go for that.

The rig crashed each time we tried to go for a roll autotune.

Videos here and log from the final flight (Qautotune of roll) here.

We would really appreciate any help and input from anyone with more experience!

Hey!

We believe our issue of the excessive rolling is due to the ESC’s not being calibrated properly. They were set for a slow spool up as they’re helicopter ESC’s.

We’ve changed this and are going for a test flight later in the day.

hugs and kisses

ESC’s were absolutely the issue. We are just about done with the test rig and are now shifting focus on to the x8 body again. We’re planning on taking off from water within a month.

Yesterdays testing

@Kungsfiskare

Good to know that you guys have figured out the issue. Best of luck with the next tests.

Cheers:)

1 Like

Flotation tests yesterday. Seems to float quite alright and we are now going forward with assembling the body. Note that this fuselage was the same one that crashed 3 months ago. We glued it back together for economic reasons :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey people!

We’ve assembled our little prototype now along with a smaller C-1 Chaser based version of it to test forward flight and because its awesome :wink:

We are encountering a lot of compass variance, which we believe is due to the power cables being just above the cube in the fuselage. We tested this by putting our phones in the fuselage and indeed it was turning the compass by up to 20 degrees. We have a second external compass, a here2 module, mounted in the front of the fuselage. We measured here as well and did not get any compass interference.

We tried to force the software to use the external compass and NOT to use the internal one but we simple couldn’t figure it out.

So to summarize; we have a problem with magnetic interference from the power cables.
Any tips and ideas for solving this are most welcome and will be tested!

A video we put together to show what we’ve been up to lately.

We’re having trouble with our compasses. We’re running a cube orange with a here2 GNSS module. We can’t seem to get them to calibrate and have a lot of compass variance errors. We initially assumed it was due to magnetic interference from the power cables and thus moved them far away from the cube but this has not corrected the issue (although we ended up with a nicer cabling setup).

If anyone has experience with this I’d love to hear it. At this point we are trying anything :smiley:

are you ouside with GPS lock and away from metal? Strictly you should empty pockets of phone keys ect also. if one is not calibrating you can always disable it.

1 Like

We have a metal container about 10 meters away. I’m assuming this could be terrible for the compass? I’ve also had my phone in my pocket and a laptop 2 m away. I think I haven’t realized how sensitive this equipment might actually be… Tomorrow I will empty my pockets and go to a field to test it out. I’ll get naked if I have to!

P.s. I’ve seen videos of people doing the calibration indoors and saying it turns out fine - are they wrong?

10 meters is probably fine, its the close stuff that is important. Indoors is sometimes fine, depends on what the building is made from. Outside will always be better, especial if the compasses are mounted in a less than ideal spot.

1 Like

Alrighty, thanks for your help Peter!

Do you have any experience with the pixhawk 2.1 + here2 module?

yes, should calibrate fine some times its necessary to disable the internal if the cube is near power wires. External should work fine.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips!