Unable to determine motor count

Try to run the driver installation on the marked USB Serial Port.

Did that. Now the USB Serial Port is listed at COM4. It appears in the connection dropdown, too. It doesn’t connect though. :expressionless:

Unplug the telemetry radio, does COM4 disappear?

Yes, it does disappear!

EDIT: The trackpad is doing the weirdest things now. The cursor is moving wildly around the screen even though I’m not doing anything, and that worries me greatly. I hope this wasn’t caused by any of the driver software.

EDIT 2: Behaviour is back to normal. Windows just forced an update out of nowhere. :woman_facepalming:

The laptop is not running Windows 10, or is it? I guess Windows installed a serial mouse driver in addition to the serial port driver. Now the serial data from the telemetry radio is interpreted as mouse movement. The serial mouse should be listed somewhere in the Device Manager. Disable (not uninstall) the serial mouse and it should be fine.

It is running Windows 10, which is like 98 out of the 99 problems I’m having. :sweat_smile:

Thank you, I will disable the serial mouse later and tell you if I managed to connect the telemetry radio with MP; I have a meeting with my professor in a few minutes, so I cannot test it immediately.

I have a PS/2-compatible mouse listed, but there is only the option to deinstall, not to deactivate. I unfortunately don’t see anything else that could be a serial mouse.

When I plug the USB mouse in again, it appears as HID-conform mouse, under mouses and other pointing tools.

I’m not sure if it has anything to do with the mouse since the mouses don’t appear under COM & LPT.

If it is behaving normal again, with the telemetry radio plugged in, there is nothing else to do. Does the autopilot connection through COM4 work now?

Unfortunately, it still does not connect through COM4.

The problem has to be somewhere between the MissionPlanner software and the USB port.

With my MacBook, the telemetry radio is recognized immediately and I can start going into different modes and communicate with the vehicle over telemetry. Both telemetry radios (the one at the GCS and the one on the vehicle) are connected (solid green and light) and communicating with one another (blinking red light).

The USB Serial Port should work perfectly fine, as the device manager doesn’t detect any problems with it. The MissionPlanner is the one linked in the ArduPilot documentation, so I don’t think there is a bug there.

There seems to be a missing link between the two though, which is odd.

Under SETUP, Install Firmware, it doesn’t show that I have any firmware installed or selected, which is odd, since I have ArduRover installed. It might be the missing telemetry connection causing this error.

However, since the Heartbeat message asks to check if firmware is installed (as a general remedy) under details, I could try and download ArduRover 4.4 again and see what that does.

Sorry for the late reply, too, I was really exhausted after doing nothing all morning and early afternoon besides trying to get the vehicle connection to work and listening through a 1.5h conference. :sweat_smile:

To rule out some sources of error, I would connect the Pixhawk4 to the Windows laptop with a USB cable and see if the connection works then. It will most likely be on another COM port.

Thanks, COM10 is the one that works.

I’m indoors and it’s late, but the AHRS is considered unhealthy rn and the status is giving me very small vertical speeds and a huge yaw angle even though the vehicle stands still, but I think that has to do with the GPS not connecting rn.

I unplugged the cable and tried connecting with the telemetry radio again. Now, if I connect with AUTO, it connects to COM4. So it’s connected now.

I will try the cruise learning, ACRO and STEERING tomorrow then.

Thank you for your help! I’m so happy that it’s connected now, I almost feared that I wouldn’t get it done anymore today. :relaxed:

I might not be able to get around to do the tests today, unfortunately.

For the cruise learning in manual mode, is there anything special I have to do/keep in mind?

I’ve tried to find tutorials on youtube about that, but I either get ArduPilot videos unrelated to the topic, or videos related to yachts, skateboarding and Tom Cruise. :see_no_evil:

If you have a resource at hand that you would provide me I would be extremely thankful.

As always, thank you already in advance for your help!

Have you not read thru the Wiki on how to setup and configure a Rover?
https://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/rover-first-drive.html

What you are asking about is under Tuning Speed and Throttle but it wold advisable to read the entire guide after 5wks of trying to get that Rover going

Hello Dave. I haven’t read the guide yet because at the beginning of my thesis, I was not supposed to set up the hardware at all. Furthermore, my professor and I had originally agreed to use PX4 and QGroundControl, then he said he would rather use ArduPilot because it contains the Rover firmware, and now I am using MissionPlanner for the tuning only because QGC doesn’t have the analysis tools that MP has.

Of course I am reading through the docs at the same time, but the past weeks I had been busy mainly with connecting the hardware properly, since the person who was originally supposed to do it (so I could focus on autopilot programming, the key point of my thesis) made quite a few connection errors and broke a part due to these errors.

So please understand that, under these conditions, I have not been able to read through the entire guide yet. :slight_smile:

You have to assign a transmitter switch to cruise learning. Switch cruise learning on, drive at the desired speed in manual mode (with GPS fix) and during driving, switch cruise learning off. Cruise speed and cruise throttle should be updated to the new values.

1 Like

Thank you, Sebastian!

I will check if the transmitter has a free switch somewhere. I have used a two-state switch for communication with the receiver, and there are several other switches that have been assigned to work with parts of the research catamaran.

For the rover, does it have to be a two-state or three-state switch, or is the amount of states irrelevant? Because I know that there is still a free three-state switch.

Thank you already in advance for your answer!

Looking at Randy Mackay’s video linked in “Tuning Speed and Throttle”, he uses a two-position switch to make the vehicle learn the cruise speed and throttle.

Checking the functions of the transmitter and the notes on which switch does what, there is only one two-position switch (SW3) left that is (hopefully) yet unassigned.

The questions I have at this point are:

1. Do I have to assign the switch to cruise learning first or does the cruise learning just register a switch movement and saves the values?
  2. How would I assign the switch? Is there a section in MissionPlanner where it says “assign switch” (or something similar), or do I have to assign with the transmitter?
  3. The cruise speed and throttle that is being registered, can I change the parameters manually after they are being saved? My vehicle is awfully fast and even when I don’t go full speed it races off and is hard to control.

I know that these are a lot of questions, and I’m reading the docs and watching tutorials in hopes of figuring something out myself, but I’m a bloody beginner so a lot of things are confusing to me.

Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate it a lot!

Many posts earlier, I suggested to use a new model in the MX16, so you do not mess up the catamarans settings by accident. It does not matter if you use a 3 or 2 position switch, just switch it all the way (over the middle postotion).

1 Like

I am using the new model, so that means for this model I can use all switches? That’s good, because for the model I’m using only SW8 is assigned (arm/disarm).

Did you copy the original model to create the new one?