I just wanted to share a project I have been working on with a bunch of kids from the 4-H. It started as a busted piece of Styrofoam we found doing a water way clean up, and has evolved into this. The original design was not stable, so we made a newer, larger one out of 1" Styrofoam sheets glued together. Power comes from a pair of 16000mAh 4S Lipo’s, 2 water cooled 90A ESC’s, 2 980kva motors spinning 6x4 props, and a APM 2.5 that we are still working the compass bugs out on. The motors are mounted to a shaved down block of aluminum and bolted directly to waterproof servos to provide steering.
The boat is 36" long, weighs 17lbs loaded, and draws just over a inch and a half of water. It’s currently fitted with a cheap used fish finder to do depth recordings, but will be upgraded to side scan sonar.