Tuning the Harmonic Notch

D’oh Yeah I guess it does say that right beside the colors :roll_eyes:… Thanks

You can see the harmonics there, though… The peak at about 50 is a 1st, and the one around 100 is 2nd, etc…

Ok, so that’s how I thought those went

Yes, so you are correct in setting the 1st, 2nd and 4th = 11.
I take it you have RPM data if you are setting mode 3?

Yes that’s correct, BLheli_32 Escs

And here is with the filter applied 1,2,4 harmonics

I mean its not terrible, but I would love to knock that peak down a little

Hey guys I have a 16inch X8 and just upgraded to 4.03 to try out the new filtering. The FFT graphs are much cleaner. BUT my VIBE measurements are just as bad… When In Fast Forward Flight I can see the VIBE measurements hitting red on mission planner - primarily on my Z axis… (Props are high quality and balanced).
Take a look at my FFT graphs, do you see anything off?

Z axis vibrations are related to frame rigidity, not to motor/prop imbalance. The z vibration is an effect of the prop blades interacting with the arms in an aerodynamic sense. There are two chances to improve the situation: a more rigid frame and more distance between the props and the arms. The latter one unfortunately is bad for control and efficiency.

Is this pre or post filter?

I don’t think that’s bad at all. It’s an octo - you are going to get quite a smush of vibrations that are hard to kill

Ok, I will “live” with it, thanks :slight_smile:

top graph is unfiltered, lower is filtered. I’m getting very high VIBE on Z when on high throttle - As per mission planner.

Arms are 30mm tubes, so that’s quite plausible. I’m thinking of printing “aerodynamic” covers like in the pic below:

Do you think that would help?

Filtered gyro values are fine. The filtering only affects vibes as a second order effect - if you have actual vibes then the filtering will not make them better.

I see, I’ll move the motors a little higher then and see how that goes. Thanks for the input

UPDATE: After moving the engines another 10mm further from the arms (as per @hsteinhaus) I’m getting just as much VIBE if not more than before.

Any other suggestions guys, @andyp1per ? I’m going to try and stiffen up the frame too as a last ditch effort.

The massive Z vibration has to be due to the flex in the arms I would think. Unless you’ve got something loose inside knocking against the flight controller. It’s possible that changing the flight controller mounting might help. @Leonardthall hard mounts his FC’s to a plate that has the battery on it. The mass of the battery then greatly reduces the harmonic vibration of the controller. Not saying you should try this - but sometimes soft mounting is worse depending on the mechanics of your setup.

As you can see in the picture the arms are 30mm carbon tubes, so the booms themselves have 0 flex whatsoever. However the Frame is a tiny bit flexible, but I still don’t think it’s that bad… Also when holding the X8 and giving full throttle I really cannot feel any excessive vibrations. I will try adding some lead weight on top of the FC and see if that makes any difference

EDIT: I just had another idea… do you think a motor plane misalignment could cause it ? The motor mounts can rotate around 2-3degrees around the boom but would this cause vibrations?

Is there a yaw bias present (CW vs CCW motor outs) ? It’s reported all the time on craft with round arms and opportunity for the motor or arm mounts to rotate.

There was a crazy amount present in the past like a 70%ccw vs 30CW - just from a couple degrees deviation … I fixed it using a simple bubble level, and now re-did the levelling to make sure… Unfortunately it didn’t really fix the vibes. What helped however is adding some weights ontop of the FC… It dropped my vibes on XYZ proportionally but still Z Peaks to over 60 at some points…