TFMini Plus LiDAR Distance Sensor not working with Pixhawk 2.4.8

I have setup the TFMini Plus LiDAR Distance Sensor on a Pixhawk 2.4.8 connected to the Telem2 Port.

All the settings have been carried out as per Benewake TFmini / TFmini Plus lidar — Copter documentation

Still the Status window shows no ouput on the SONAR fields.

The sensor is getting 5V when checked… the RX - TX are wired in a 6Pin DF13 connector as per the pinout on the above mentioned page.

Where am I going wrong??

-Sid

You did not describe the most important details . Are you using ArduCopter 4.2.1 ?

1 Like

sorry for not mentioning it.

it is Arducopter 4.0.0 .

with the 4.2.1 the Telemetry radio is somehow unable to connect.

Maybe the GCS version is outdated. Update your mission planner and use ArduCopter version 4.2.1 or later

Are you checking the “sonar range” field?

yes checking the Sonar Range field!

4.2.1 is giving problem with Telemtery comms…

The modules cannot talk to each other with 4.2.1 for whatever reason.

From the screen it is not clear. However you can look here and maybe find some useful information

now i have installed ArduCopter V4.2.1 (c8b6b674)

now i have installed ArduCopter V4.2.1 (c8b6b674)

Is the rangefinder in serial mode? Have you checked its output with a usb serial adapter.

Woha!

this is new to me… how do i do that? can you please guide me

For higher reliability, use an independent 5V supply for sonars, better than from tiny components inside the FC (great currents when triggered).

makes the case difficult because the DF13 port needs to be separated out for 5V which is a surely difficult case.

makes the case difficult because the DF13 port needs to be separated out for 5V and then it’s a diffenc

Hello Could you draw your connection diagram on page and share with me or take a clear picture that I can see which wire of LiDAR goes to which pin of TELEM2 port?Also your share parameter file to confirm if the settings you did are correct.

You dont need to rewire a tfmini plus it will work from the 5v of telemetry port without modification, its a low power device. Has the lidar been used before? Was it brand new?

Sid, you are on the right track. I had the same issue with the same configuration a couple of months ago.

The TFMini Plus does work with your configuration but it’s a bit tricky. In my situation, I installed two TF-Mini Pluses using Serial Ports 4/5, one for object avoidance and the other for altitude.

I follow the Benewake TFmini / TFmini Plus lidar documentation plus, as you did, plus the info in the following video. I was stuck until I found this great video and got it to work:

Part 2/2 How to set up Pixhawk with two rangefinder sensors, object avoidance, and height estimation.

|||-- Part 2/2 How to setup Pixhawk with two rangefinder sensors, object avoidance and height estimation. - YouTube --|||

It took me a number of tries to get all the parameters set correctly, but it works perfectly.

hi Thomas,

actually… the sensor TFMini Plus worked on the I2C connector… It seems like it was factory configured to work on the I2C protocol and not the Serial.

I will anyways check the video you have shared and thank you for that! :slight_smile:

1 Like