Striver mini VTOL 4+1 QuadPlane

Is it convenient for you to calibrate the ESC’s shape range again? Take a video of an ESC failure. If it is confirmed that it is an ESC problem, our sales colleagues will send you a replacement.

Sent Email to you w/link to video…

Just set up my new striver, going for a 12+2 and later down the track 12+4

Pretty.

MFE was quick to sort out my ESC problem so moving forward …

I hope this will work out.

Decided to use ring terminals. Think the Mauch will be OK if I slide the BEC over a tad.
Need to do the final testing of the wiring before securing everything …

Channel Assignments for the MFE VTOL param file if you use it:
Channel - Function
1 Ail
2 Elev
3 Thrott
4 Rudd
5 Ail
6 Elev
7/8 unassigned
9 Motor 1
10 Motor 2
11 Motor 3
12 Motor 4
13 Motor 5
the rest are unassigned

edit:
I noticed the BRD_PWM_COUNT in the MFE VTOL param file is 4

Thought it would need to be higher to use Aux5 for Motor 5 (servo 13)

Will find out shortly …

edit edit

I’m thinking ch3 - Thrott is for motor 5. ?

The servo 13 configuration is a shutter release (relay trigger mode), so BRD_PWM_COUNT 4.

Thank you!

(I was unsure)

Just have to wait 'till Saturday to get a battery plug then it will be ready for final checks :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I was uncertain which it was.

Aaargh! So close! The bad ESC didn’t calibrate like the others so until I get a replacement I’m grounded :frowning:

Everything else is done. Using a RFD 900x for telemetry and a FrSky L9R for the check flights.

My aircraft is almost ready she’s got 14 motors and a winch in the belly, with a 120m lidar and 4g & rfd telemetry

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

That is an interesting configuration. I look forward to seeing how it performs.

Cheers!

Quite unique Paul! Been trying to figure out how much all those motors can lift!

Good news for me - MakeFlyEasy is sending a new ESC :slight_smile:

I like a company that stands behind their stuff!

Over 24kg potentially However it would pull and insane amount of amps 600+ so I’m going to limit max throttle.
Has anyone had one of these in the air yet keen to see a few customer builds?

Hi Greg
I’ve been tracking you on the Nimbus VTOL, Freeman VTOL, and Fighter VTOL forums. And I observe that you have vast experience and knowledge in this type of aircraft, but above all that you guide beginners like me. So if you allow me, I will be consulting you with my doubts.

I am interested in assembling a Striver 2100mm VTOL 4 + 1. Which I acquired on September 14 from the UUUDrone Store on aliexpress at a cost of $ 953.45 with shipping included. So to date I am waiting for this product.

I am considering a quad power system in a LiPo 6s 21AH package. Could you recommend the brand and the C of the battery, where to buy and especially the characteristics of the charger and where to buy it.

So consider also purchasing the equipment you are recommending:

At the SunnySky USA store. Where I have already purchased engines and they have arrived in about a week.
• A SunnySky X Series V3 X4120 and its ESC T-MOTOR FLAME 70A LV

In Foxtechfpv. I have also purchased some things and batteries arrived in about a week and a half.
• Four 5008 / 340KV Brushless Motor / black (TL96020) and their respective Hobbywing XRotor 40A ESC (no BEC).
• Two sets of Fixedwing Mode Propeller APC1680
• Two sets of 1855 MARKII Matte Carbon Fiber Propeller CW & CCW

And at Banggood.
• Six Emax ES3054 servos
• Un MFE High Voltage 6V 10A 3-14S UBEC Module Voltage Regulator Module Step Down Module for RC Airplane Fixed-wing

So far it is what I have acquired.

I have a Holybro Durandal and its Pixhawk 4 GPS as a flight controller. To which I already loaded the stable-4.0.9 firmware but I have a doubt with the loading of the Makeflyeasy parameters located in Striver_VTOL.param (http://fw.makeflyeasy.com/Frame_params/Striver_VTOL.param). In the case of the Freeman, you will find the firmware and parameters for each type of controller. Could you guide me in this regard.

I also have a Taranis X9D Radio plus I know you currently have a Horus X10S, but previously you had a Taranis X9D. Could you help me with setting up my radio for the Striver.
Thank you very much in advance for your support and comments.

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the VTOL Plane forum!

The current draw on my larger Fighter 4+1 6s setup doesn’t seem bothersome when using a large capacity battery like 21AH. With all 5 of my motors on for a transition (worst case), the current is still under 100 amps on a 6s, 21AH pack that can deliver 630 amps continuous. The duty cycle for this transition period is very low.

The next worst case is hovering which I measured using a Mauch PM as about 60amps with payload (on the Fighter). This is about 15amps per motor. So again there is nothing being stressed on the component selection.

As for a battery pack or charger selection, I am using three older UltraPower 6s 30C 21AH packs from TroyBuiltModels.com. My charger is an FMA Revolectrix PowerLab 8 V2. These items were originally used on my DJI S900 hexacopter years ago.

As for loading the MFE param file, do it several times and remember to write the parameters to the flight controller from Mission Planner and re-boot the flight controller between loads. When finished, you should only have a handful of error parameters, some of which are read only.

There isn’t much to setting up a Taranis or Horus for the VTOLs. Below is my Fighter setups for both the Horus and Taranis. You can use them as a starting point or change them to suit your needs. Keep in mind that I am using the Yaapu telemetry screens on my setup as well. I attached my custom sounds for the Yaapu switches that you’ll see in the Taranis model setup.
Fighter FrSky Model Files.zip (2.0 KB)
wav.zip (194.8 KB)

Good luck!

It’s funny the labeling on that pack 630a continuous, because those battery wires look like 8awg, I’ve tested their ccc and if even at 200amps those wires would be getting hot, I bet around 300a the plugs would just melt off. It appears troybuiltmodel lipos are not around anymore either :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.
I always use 2 lipo in parallel for the extra burst high discharge and redundancy, currently using 2x 90c 6200mah CHL they are great and cheaper than tattu. Or my second packs are 2x 6s 8000mah 45c Tattu

Both FMA/Revolectrix and Troy Built Models are out of business. When you’ve been in the hobby for over a quarter century, brands come and go.

The idea behind large capacity packs is that you won’t hurt the cells with a mere 100 amp draw. This improves life cycles. The XT150-AS150 connectors handle up to 150 amps. Folks using a 12s system will draw only about 50 amps.

Tattu are good batteries. I haven’t tried CHL yet.

Cheers!

Fair enough, I’ve only been into the drones since 2018. My striver is basically complete however very tail heavy after I put the string in between the loops for the lift test, might have to try to throw some weight in the nose or add another battery, here’s some photos of my wiring disaster and a video of my
Rickroll start up tune
Oh and the chute servo is for a gender reveal payload release gender reveal we will hopefully be doing this weekend.

Ok, your ESC tune made me laugh! Excellent. I was in my prime back then…so long ago!

I see that you have an XBLINK system. Have you used this before? If so, how do you like it?