Striver mini VTOL 4+1 QuadPlane

Hi Greg,

Just a quick question if I may about the way that you have your flight modes set up on your Horus X10. Reading the above suggests that you have your 6 position rotary (centre) knob setup for your flight mode selection?

Are you able to list out the Flight Modes that you are using and the order that you have them situated on the positions of the knob from one to six? (with one being the far left position)

I am interested to see what you are using and the positioning of these, and how well you think this works and compares to having the same on a collection of switches.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I use the 6-position rotary knob for Flight Modes on my Horus X10. Flight Mode 1 is fully clockwise as it is on my Taranis X9D+. I have been using the Taranis knob for many years so the front knob on the Horus was merely a location change from the Taranis.

I tend to use QSTABILIZE as my emergency fallback mode and have taught my brain to turn the knob fully clockwise in a crisis. If the plane is blowing away then change to QLOITER in a calmer state of mind. :grinning:

I do have a different setup for my Ardupilot planes but weā€™ll stick to VTOLs here. So the flow is from quadcopter to plane to automated flight or return.

FLTMODE_CH,8
FLTMODE1,17 (QSTABILIZE)
FLTMODE2,19 (QLOITER)
FLTMODE3,5 (FBWA)
FLTMODE4,7 (CRUISE)
FLTMODE5,12 (Loiter)
FLTMODE6,21 (QRTL)(and sometimes AUTO)

Cheers!

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the very helpful info, as alwaysā€¦

So one new question then about your Taranis rotary knobā€¦did you replace one of them with a six pos rotary? The Taranis X9D plus 2019 ACCST/ACCESS version is the other radio that I am setting up and I have seen others that have replaced their SA switch with a 6 pos rotary encoderā€¦

I guess the same set of modes can be achieved with the use of two switches to keep the work flow sorted, but the Six pos Rotary feels like a far better fit for purpose and potentially less confusing solution - especially when youā€™re faced with a stressful situation - provided you have the panic button position mapped in your brainā€¦and far right or left makes it easy, although I suppose you could always setup the SH momentary (or anther switch) to override the current mode, into QSTABILZEā€¦?

As you say, being familiar with how you have set up the positions of the modes and the appropriate transparent automated responses in your brain is important for when things donā€™t go according to planā€¦

ā€¦Like spin training in a glider - climb in a thermal - induce the spin - use the transparent automated response (from repeated training) to deal with the emergency - fly the plane - repeat!..The only time I have ever felt really airsick is from repeated spin training exercisesā€¦but very worthwhile as the response is forever hard wired! These drills for all types of emergency responses (especially when it is something like a simulated - but real - tow rope break reasonably close to the ground) and the subsequent mind calming - ā€œemergency is over - fly the planeā€ mindset translates well to flying all types of RPA but especially the ones with wings that like to constantly move forward in real timeā€¦

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No, I used the upper right top area (as in all the mod. videos) like in the image below. You can always make a mix that uses one of the switches to jam the Flight Mode channel to one end.

TaranisX9Da

Yeah, the VTOLs have a different mindset for emergency saves. It helps to have both copter and plane experience. I still go over it mentally when testing a new build. Below is an example of a save using QSTAILIZE mode. I had some interesting test flights in 2017 before we discovered that my Ranger EX wings were twisting like a see-saw in flight. I abandoned the project as the design became too cumbersome to travel and set up. The new MFE designs make it very easy to set up, break down, and travel with a large VTOL.

https://vimeo.com/226548851

2 Likes

Hi Greg,

Thanks for that. Nice save but a close shaveā€¦yeah you can see a little bit of twisting as the Ranger takes offā€¦so your wings would have been washing in and out in various states of stalling and flyingā€¦Interesting

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Greg,

The Ranger EX is on my list to covert to a VTOL. I am now into reading a whole lot of other forums to see what you and others have done (and even going back to the very old ArxAngel thread on the RC Groups forum) to stiffen the wings but there is a lot to read through as usual. I know this is a VTOL Striver thread and I donā€™t want to hijack it - but are you able to just tell me briefly where you got to with this - or was it eventually an abandoned project?

Cheers

Jeff

I got to the end of your Ranger Ex posts - seems that you went on to FX-79ā€¦so I am in there now readingā€¦I have an FX-79 kit and also recently got a Skywalker X8 Frameā€¦so wondering if you could give me your brief thoughts on these as well in your reply?

Cheers

Jeff

All my projects over the last decade were about having fun and learning about VTOLs. The original VTOL firmware came from the FireFLY6 AvA design by BirdsEyeView Aerobotics. They went into the commercial market and added their modified Ardupilot Plane firmware in the repository. Tridge and other developers have been designing all kinds of VTOL configurations and features since. There were fewer host choices before MFE and MFD came along so we modified models that we could buy. Keep in mind that I had a hobby budget and only assisted in some commercial ventures where it was fun to spend other peoples money. I never try to influence others on my projects but merely report what I am doing.

So to make a long story short, my interest went from the initial expensive FireFLY6 to a few smaller VTOL conversions like the HK Bix3 and mini Talon quadplanes, that needed no setup, to larger VTOLs that became too cumbersome for me when my health failed. The MFD Nimbus was an easy conversion to tricopter VTOL and spoiled me on its ease of setup and tear down. Finally MFE came along with some great quadplane designs that not only didnā€™t need any modifications but broke down easily and went back into the box.

Cheers!

1 Like

OK thanks Greg,

Seems like you have been involved in a lot of different projects over this time and you appear all over the place in these forums with an amazing amount of shared experiences (both the good and the bad)ā€¦so your input is appreciated.

As you know I have a fighter on its way - in the freight system somewhere - and look forward to getting this built and flying at some stage, but I am still keen to pull together one or two other VTOL projects for test platforms before I build up the Fighter.

Cheers

Jeff

I learned to always fly ā€œ3 mistakes highā€ when testing. :slight_smile: Looks like you had just enough altitude.

Tempted !
Especially as my Freeman decided to retire itself yesterdayā€¦

Iā€™m weakā€¦

bought itā€¦

Hi Mike,

LOL! I know the feeling. :smiley:

Cheers!

1 Like

Itā€™s here!
Workbench is empty.
Time to start ā€¦

2 Likes

1st Problem ā€¦
Step 1, glue the supports for the main wing CF Tubes.
Step 1a, Drill out the supports because the holes are too small for the tubes !!

Made a comment on the build video and MFE responded that night!
Great to see they monitor their posts and respond!

Lead the way, Mike! Iā€™ll play catch up this winter. MFE also monitors these ArduPlane forum threads.

I hadnā€™t realized that you were stanordave from RCG.

Cheers!

You found me out!
Must have connections with one of those 3 letter agencies in the East ā€¦

Finished the wing harness - I HATE soldering. Especially w/shaky hands and old man eyesight.

No real problems. Just had to open the holes as mentioned, and noticed that the metal pieces on top of the wing that hold the square motor have an orientation after I installed them and noticed the front was up on one. (also donā€™t drop the little ones for the back - itā€™s amazing how well aluminum blends in w/a concrete floor)

Time for motors and escā€™s ā€¦

Asked a question but maybe someone here knows the answer.
Are the ESCs supposed to be left open or covered w/the metal plate. Unclear to me in the videos and Iā€™ve seen pictures where there uncovered and something mentioned about a special cover.

I can get the covers on but not sure if thatā€™s how to do it. Theyā€™re a tight fit. Had to move a cap on one that was binding w/the edge. Might get it done in a couple of days if I have some free time ā€¦

Update:
Got An Answer! Put the included thermal foam over the FETs and put the cover on.
Thatā€™s how I had it but was wary of it shorting out w/the close tolerances.

Wingā€™s are done!

Bad ESC so itā€™ll be awhile before its finished :frowning:

Speaking of ESCs, had a problem putting them in.
Some of them didnā€™t quite fit. The fit is very tight. I had to loosen the can(s) from the boards that didnā€™t go in (they just popped loose w/a little encouragement) and move them away from the edge then all was well. The yellow arrow hopefully shows where it happens.

I also put a spot of glue so they donā€™t move from their new position.
20210913_114059