QUAD X Motor Tailsitter without control surfaces (H-Wing)

Please keep in mind I only took the design so far. I never printed it. So I have no idea exactly how it would go together or if it would even work.

ok finally started the the H-Wing Clone.

I have successfully printed all the body parts, modded them as I found bugs and have landed on the final form for the Beta version.

I have a roll of polycarbonate for the arms and will start printing those parts in the next 10 days.
I am waiting on some CF tubes and connectors.
Also need to order a 4in1 esc and an Airspeed sensor. I have an Analog version but don’t know how to connect it to a Pixracer Pro.
So far this has been an interesting build. Winter has been interesting.

2 Likes

you can use the rssi input for an analog airspeed for this plane as it wont output above the 3.3V limit for the pin (plane wont fly 225mph!), even though its powered from 5v…rssi pin would be set to “11”…be sure to calibrate the airspeed sensor on a flight before ARSPD_USE=1 is set…read the wiki on airspeed sensors

Hey thanks
I wasn’t aware you could do that. Very cool.

Hey out there.
I need to confirm if possible that I have the motor order and rotation correct. I believe I do based on some documentation I found a year ago but wanted to get a check from the community.
I think @tridge or @andyp1per may have gotten a form of this model working in SITL.

Front View

Rear View.

I have most of this printed now and just looking to finalize the body to wing quick disconnect then I will assemble it…
Been interesting so far.
Edit.
I think I found the doc again so looks like I have it right

cheers

@rinconsantiago25
@kadir_bay
@windy

You folks at one point where looking for the files.
I have now printed the bird and here are the file if you still want them.
I have a basic build document also in the directory if you need it. It is a work in progress.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Pgv-rGrb6FgmSHPtMUMsfs6eMmU2dwLY?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Hi @rickyg32,
This looks to be an awesome effort and really interesting.
I notice there has not been an update for a while and the bin files don’t seem to show flight.
How does it fly?

Thanks!

Hey thanks.
I can’t say how it flies. I got the bird assembled and the basic config done but do to some competing priorities I had to set it aside for a while. I hope to get back to it soon.
The files are there if you want them.

cheers

1 Like

Amazing ! Love it ! Looking forward your test flight :wink:
I would like to try as well. How much kg of filament do I need ? I live in tropical area, LW PLA is not really recommended.

it’s printed from 1 roll. But I can’t say specifically how much.

2 Likes

Awesome project @rickyg32 ! I am trying to also build an H-wing Swan K1 style without the control surfaces, could you share or add to the G-Drive the parameters you changed in the setup? :slight_smile:

I stop to be a silent reader just to say it’s really an awesome project.
For now I focus on a DIY NDVI camera system and if endurance and payload allow, I would be very interested by this design.

Congratulation already for the awesome job you did!

Hi Julien
I added a file of a param export if that helps.
It’s in the G-Drive.
If you can’t find it let me know.

Hi @rickyg32 ,
Thank you, you are a legend!
How is the Cygnet flying? Has it gotten any airtime yet?

Hey Julien.
No sorry it hasn’t. We have had some health issues in the family that has taken up some time.
I wanted to let you know I added a second file. It’s an H wing arduplane file I was given.

cheers

1 Like

Hey @rickyg32, thanks for sharing, this is a great build. The google drive link doesn’t work for me - any chance you could reupload that link? I have a similar build and have been struggling to get the plane to perform a level turn - it wants to roll to turn like a conventional fixed wing, even though it should be capable of yawing. I’d be interested at taking a look at your params. Cheers!

Nathan give this a try

There is another chap building one right now and he may also have params to share at some point.
I might have to authorize your access so give it a shot. I don’t use it often enough to know how it all works.

1 Like

I sent a request for access, much appreciated!

You should have access now

1 Like

amazing work, can you share the files for printing?