Plane 4.2 beta release

Hello @tridge
Thank you very much for all you and all developers effort to make this system better and better.

About this issue:

Could you please clarify, how this works?
My key question is how to callibrate this battery remaining percentage ??

The reason of my question is, I found “problem or issue” when using Cuav Nora PM lite using CAN , that is supllied by CUAV.
I did posting this issue some times ago. The problem was, Mission planner display the remaining battery percentage WRONGLY. Eventhought Voltage and current display are correct… Also battery consumed was correct (in MAH). This is very confusing. So the battery remaining percentage is much lower than it should be.
Thank you…

we have two fixes for this in 4.2.0

• you can set a BATT_OPTIONS bit to ignore the “state of charge” from a CAN battery monitor and instead use integrated current
  • there is a BATT_CURR_MULT factor you can use to adjust the current multiplier

Not sure if this is on purpose but it seems Custom Firmware Builder Server is stuck in a commit of 20+ days ago.

Links to: a19fa24ccd

@Lanza thanks for letting us know! It was stuck as it was using the old git:// protocol. I’ve fixed it now.

1 Like

@tridge, I just received a support request for EKF’s not aligning and preventing arming on the beta 4 firmware. Maybe this is unrelated to the beta, but the log is attached here. I flew the aircraft without prearm issues just prior to this, so I’m not sure what the cause is. My flight was totally successful, although I did have to reassign the trigger and feedback servo_function parameters to -1 to get the camera working normally. That will be helpful for the release notes when 4.2 goes live.

the log shows EKF3 aligning and being ready 73 seconds after power on, which is really pretty good. Maybe the wrong log?

I’ve just released plane 4.2.0beta5. The changes since beta4 are:

• fixed a timer bug that could cause boards using flash storage to watchdog
  • added OTG2 USB on QioTekZealotH743
  • increased stack size on log and monitor threads
  • fixed rudder control when ARMING_RUDDER != 2 on quadplanes
  • fixed accel bias when an IMU is disabled in EKF3
  • improved QSPI support for SPro H7 Extreme
  • fixed @SYS file logging
  • fixed buzzer on MatekH743, going back to 16 bit timer
  • fixed H7 flash storage bug that caused re-init on overflow
  • fixed incorrect lock class in UART driver

The most critical change is the timer fix that could cause H7 boards with flash storage (eg. MatekH743) to watchdog.

Happy flying!

3 Likes

@tridge, I believe this log shows internal errors in the middle of a flight line that I have no other explanation for. Based on the trajectory, it appears to me like one ESC may have been inadvertently reversed causing a totally flat spin. Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Hello cool developer, it’s great to see you continue to develop.
Q_ENABLE = 1
Q_FRAME_CLASS = 1
Q_FRAME_TYPE = 16
Q_TILT_TYPE = 2
Q_TILT_MASK = 8:
Q_TAILSIT_ENABLE = 0
Q_TILT_YAW_ANGLE = 0
Function = 39 Please develop the tailtilt servo to respond to QSTABILIZE as well.
In QSTABILIZE mode, the tailtilt servo does not respond to the rudder stick.
Can you make the reaction visible on the Servo output screen when armed?

@tridge, we had a serious crash, I believe from an internal error in the log I posted a few days ago using the beta 4 firmware. Please check it out. Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I think you may be right about a motor reversal. It looks like the left motor went into reverse at the same time that you got an ISR flood internal error.
@andyp1per can you have a look at this?
The sequence seems to be:

• two ESCs running normally with DShot150, on PWM(5) and PWM(6), both giving ESC DShot telemetry. ESCs setup as 3D, to allow for reverse thrust landing
  • ISR flood on pin 57, the camera feedback pin (on SERVO8)
  • both ESCs stop reporting telemetry for around 1.5s, battery sensor current draw remains steady during this time
  • 2nd (right) ESC starts reporting telemetry again, then stops, then starts again
  • 1st (left) ESC starts reporting telemetry sporadically, only giving data infrequently, and the aircraft starts to yaw left, ending up spinning at over 1000 degrees/second, which is remarkably fast for a plane of this size (I presume this is a believer?)

I don’t understand the relationship between the ISR flood and the ESC reversal. An ISR flood is an external event, triggering lots of pin toggles, causing us to shut down that interrupt source. Was there some other event that caused both the ISR flood and the motor reversal? Or did the flood somehow impact the ESC?

@Naterater is the aircraft undamaged enough to run ground tests? Do the ESCs/motors still work? Do they operate in the right direction?

@Naterater can you send me a link to a normal flight where reverse thrust is used in landing?

Both motors and throttle appear to be commanded to maximum after the loss of telemetry. There is also significantly more vibration after this so it seems likely that was actually happening. Do we know why the motors were asked to go to maximum? There are also a bunch of radio failsafes before the ISR flood and internal error (the internal error is the ISR error it looks like?)

airspeed drops quickly when one motor goes into reverse. TECS responds by adding throttle.

radio failsafes in AUTO don’t affect plane, it keeps flying normally
The ISR flood error is the internal error, yes

Reverse thrust (barely) used in landing here. Although different firmware and autopilot. I don’t have any automated landings of the plane that crashed, although because of the gentle spin, it actually did little damage. I’ll follow up.

unfortunately that is an old firmware. I was hoping to see what the RawRPM field did with reverse thrust, to see if it went negative. This old firmware doesn’t log RawRPM.
Can you do a bench test with some reverse thrust and get a log?
Also, can you try a test where the motors are setup the way way they are setup in the crash, then you disconnect the signal wire from the ESC so the DShot pulses stop. I’d like to know how long the motors keep running for after the pulses stop.

@Naterater can you also tell us what BLHeli32 firmware was on the ESCs and what model of ESC?

Any change of putting TRIM _AUTO back in. SERVO_AUTO_TRIM doesn’t work for me as I have no speed sensor or GPS.

Hi, We are seeing very bad behavior in the flight controller and wonder if there is a fix? Basically we are seeing large ~5 deg pitch changes with large changes in Throttle in VTOL aircraft. I don’t think this problem is limited to Plane Beta 4.2.

Exemplifying this is a Convergence SITL model based on Plane Beta 4.2. Here we are seeing ± 5deg pitch changes with large changes ~ 70% in throttle. Here is the log file of our test, and a picture of the pitch (red), DesPitch (green), and throttle signals (blue):

Log file:

In comparison, the stock mini Convergence, or any quadcopter that comes with Realflight 9.5 does not show any affects of throttle on pitch. Since the flight control algorithm is different. This indicates the effect is being created by the Ardupilot flight control algorithm.

I am developing a large RC controlled tricopter VTOL using Arduplane and we are seeing ~ 5 deg pitch changes with large changes in throttle, making the vehicle very hard to handle and has crashed many times. Here are two videos of the vehicle being tested. The first has PID (a lot more P than I) tuning, and the 2nd has IPD (a lot more I than P):

First test using PID tuning:

Log:

Second test using IPD tuning:

Log:

Throttle (Blue), Red (Pitch), Green (Despitch)

We would like to find a solution to this problem.

Here is a link to see the vehicle and details about its construction:

I have also developed a CAD model of the vehicle and have it flying in RealFlight 7.5, but it does not use a flight controller and flies very well. The reason is that the vehicle weighs 200 lbs and is the size of a large station wagon, which has high rotational inertia, and large stabilizing gyroscopic effects from the 32in props. The key point is that the pitch does not change with large throttle changes. Here is a link to see the vehicle flying in the simulator:

We are now considering taking out the flight controller because the vehicle is too hard to handle with Throttle causing Pitch changes.

I’ve just released plane 4.2.0beta6. This is the 6th (and hopefully final!) beta of the 4.2.0 major release

• fix FIFO overruns on the BMI088 IMU
  • fix plane avoidance behaviour when in AvoidADSB mode
  • disable fatal exceptions on DMA errors on STM32
  • changed quadplane weathervaning to make pitch input optional for nose-in and tail-in
  • increased default scripting heap size on F7/H7 to 100k
  • added ICM42688 option on MatekH743
  • added ICM4xxxx option on QiotekZealotH743
  • rename INS_NOTCH parameters to INS_HNTC2
  • added Q_OPTION for RTL on failsafe in Q modes, for ship operation
  • disabled setting of highest airspeed when disarmed
  • fixed init of file descriptor in logging
  • cope with gaps in log listing, and reduce impact of log listing on EKF and ESCs
  • avoided repeated message on “failed to detach from pin” for RPM
  • improved error messages on GPIO pin configuration conflict
  • use narrower bitwidths for dshot, giving more accurate timing
  • added MatekF765-Wing-bdshot target
  • fixed use of DO_SET_SERVO with SERVOn_FUNCTION=0
  • several improvements to SPRacingH7 support

Happy flying!

2 Likes