No throttle sent to ESC on channel 8

Ozzy, the external compass is the only way to go. I would not even bother with the internal compass. I’m sure you were just trying to get things working but I wanted to pass that along. the only other thing I can think of is the location of where you are doing your compass calibration. Looks like you are doing it in your house which most of the time is fine. but maybe try doing it outside away from the house and make sure you don’t have a magnetic wristband on while doing the calibration. that could affect it too if you kept it close to the compass while calibrating.

the location of the pixhawk is a little tight but probably workable. Be sure the cabling has a some slack to it. they can cause vibrations expecially with the pixhawk 1 since it has not vibration isolation for the IMUs.

Also get that beeper away from any sensor. It is a bad guy for interference.
The motor is very close. Strong magnets!
But I do not like that mast for the external GPS-Compass. Is that high class Stainless steel? If not there is your problem. Aluminum I hope.

I will recalibrate outside my home today
But I had calibrated another pixhawk and same one before with no problem till I moved the FC to the new location

Also all my cables are tight on the frame and little loss when they get close to the board so that any vibration caused by the frame not passing through the cables.
I will remove the peeper away and the very important point that Fred_goedsert made about the mast!!

Yes the external GPS mast the one you see color stainless steel is the shaft I have for my trex 450 for its rotor head
I cut it to the Long I want and use it !

I will get aluminum today Incase

I will fix these issues and report back

I appreciate your help guys

Ozzy

What I have previously done when trouble shooting GPS/compass issues , is to take the FC and GPS off the heli and mount it on piece of wood, allowing me to easily take the unit outdoors, away from metal objects and do a initial calibration/setup. This will at least confirm that it’s not something with the units themselves.

I found an old 450 shaft and held an magnet to it. The magnet sticks hard. No compass will really work with such a piece of steel close by.
In the past I had those Pixhawk v1 always put side-wards at the frame of the Heli with much better vibration results. Rob Lefevbre did that too.
You change than the AHRS_ORIENTATION for Roll. Because the old pixhawk has no internal vibration system for the IMU it works on its side with best results. But your Heli has not a lot of free space in the center of the frame for that. ( servos )

Problem solved !!! Wowooo guys you are great!

FRED you are grate Man, once I took that Evil and took the Heli outdoor for Calibration like what Bill said! It worked with my like a champ!

Implicit made a good point and I didn’t confirm that to you! yes I did the calibration outside the heli

and had no problem but that Shaft was the deal killer also calibrating outdoor is super easy I didn’t have to repeat the calibration to get good reading…thank you Bill ! Oh and I moved the peeper up away from the board! :):smile:

guys ‘’’ its working now! :smile:

I disabled the internal GPS USE2 ,0 USE3,0 and kept the USE,1

I flew it and it was much much much easy to fly and was study like setting there in the sky!

I didn’t change the tuning for P and D from the last old location … I think I will have to retune the P and D again! to see if I can get higher numbers!!

here is the flight logs please tell me if there is significant vibration like the old location…

thank you so so muuuuch!
Ozzy

parameters for the old FC location tuned P and D.param (14.1 KB)

1 Like

OK… so I was learning how to read the logs graphics, from what I see that the WIKi says
the normal value should not be more than 30

mine is under or at 25

so I am good I guess! the Y axis is the most higher at 25

so I tried to go back and tuning the PID again

started with the D and couldn’t go more than 0.00
anything above that the oscillation will start from the ground before hover !

its windy yes! but I don’t think the windy day will have that effect on the tuning

I was upwind when I tried to hover!

but the Heli was flying really well!

so the PID tuning on the old location was better as it was giving me 0.001

do you think I am still have issues to solve?

I also added aluminum plate to add more rigidity to the air frame!

here is the pics of the VAB graphic

thank you
Ozzy

You vibes look better. I haven’t looked at your flight log yet.

Did you try values at 0.0001? The tune feature won’t let you go that low so you have to input it manually, fly and then change it. Start at 0.0001 and then increase in 0.0001 increments. Any little bit of D term will help

I think if I use 3mm moongel instead of Kyosho 5mm Z8006 will help reduce the vibration of the Y axis

Since the moongel have more flex than Kyosho

I will try them today and start the adjustment from 0.0001 and go up

Hopefully I can get it !
Thank you !
Ozzy

I didn’t like the Gel-moon product, yes its good as a vibration absorbing material!

but was pain to put it in ! I tried it but the vibration was more !

so, I reused the Kyosho 5mm tape… this time I put only small SQ in each corner

with duple side table on both face and bottom to give total of 7mm thickness
the result is better in my flying test… I took a look at the VIB log and the Y axis is under 20 at the end of the flight it jumped to 32 but that maybe for the landing !!

I couldn’t get higher more than D 0.001

I tried to do the hover trim but I couldn’t find the roll angel value from the logs to put it in AHRS_TRIM_X
as the Heli drifting to the left!

I Zero the ground using Iphone digital level
then placed the heli on the top of the frame and its 0.00 and that for both X and Y

then I zero the Pitch by clicking on mission planner Heli setup, manual
and make sure the blades read 0.00 in both X and Y

then I went to the Flight data screen and checked the Horizon level and went to AHRS_TRIM_X, and adjust it to be on zero horizon
then same with AHRS_TRIM_Y

then flew the heli and was drifting to the left!!!

so I downloaded the logs but I couldn’t find the value for the Roll angel to enter it in AHRS_TRIM_X ?

so I tried to change the value of the AHRS_TRIM_X manually but it didn’t work !!
here is the logs before I changed the Hover trim adjustment

thank you so much!

Are you using MP Heli screen to setup the Helicopter?

@bnsgeyer Last time I did that (couple of months ago) my config was scrambled. Any recent experience with MP ?

I use the full parameters screen on MP
And when I change the AHRS_TRIM_X I see the horizon level screen change

Edit: I like MP because it’s giving me all the tools to NAV around and easy to use

The helisetup screen what I use to fine tune the heli! It’s giving me the best way to set the passthough and Active mode to set the Max and low pitch degrees !!

So
I leveled the heli completely 0.00 on the ground and I adjusted the AHRS_TRIM_X till the Horizon read 0 level

And I flew it but was drifting to the left

My question is on Wiki says ; after hover the heli lend it and go to the logs and check the ROLL Value ; insert it in AHRS_TRIM_X

But I can’t find the RILL angle !!

Where to find it !??

Thank you
Ozzy

OK, I was able to do the Hover trim ( manually entering the X values in the parameter) but when I had it level stable, I lend it and put it on a flat floor and the pic of the Horizon look scary!!!

take a look ! again ( the frames was checked and its 0.00 and the floor also 0.00

also put small level indicator on the pixhawk and it read 0.00, bladed were all tracked 0.00 at 0.00 pitch!

I don’t know from where the pixhawk brought that value to be stable!!

unless there is defected thing inside the FC!

Thank you!
Ozzy

I have my ATC_HOVR_RLL_TRIM set to around 3.5 degrees (350 centidegrees) in order to keep my heli from drifting in a hover.

I tried the 350 but start drifting… so I set it back to 0

and now its 90% setting in its place!

but on POSHOLD it start to swinging very slow and that swinging like circle start getting bigger and bigger

don’t know why!
parameters of Aug-6-2019 at 9-12PM.param (14.0 KB)

thank you
Ozzy

Ozzy,
I’m not sure if you understand how the ATC_HOVR_RLL_TRIM parameter works in the software. It is designed to add that roll angle on top of your stick inputs so as to keep the aircraft hovering at that roll angle to maintain no drift in a hover. That way in stabilizing mode not constantly holding the stick to the right to maintain a no drift hover in calm winds. The reason why helicopters require a right wing down attitude while hovering is because the tail rotor is thrusting to one side and that is countered by the aircraft roll attitude.
So my recommendation to you is to set your mother roll trim parameter to 400. And set your AHRS trim X value to zero.

Edit: @flyingdragon my last statement should read “So my recommendation to you is to set your ATC_HOVR_RLL_TRIM parameter to 400. And set your AHRS_TRIM_X value to zero.”

Thank you Bill for the clear explanation!
that will make it easy for me to re-do the hover trim again!

I have the Yaw going to the right and the Heli nose to the left…

is there any parameters I can set to straight (stick center) Yaw?

Thank you
Ozzy

I don’t know what this means? You will have to be more specific.

Sorry, when I hover it and let the stick alone it will yaw to the left.

I have to keep my hand on my rudder stick giving it right stick to keep it heading straight

kind of a gain setup

but its become really smooth after lowering the Vib and tuned P and D

I left the I to 0.18 same as VFF like what Wiki recommended.

and didn’t change the ATC_RAT_RLL_IMAX,0.44 or ATC_RAT_PIT_IMAX,0.44

the other question I have is that on wiki saying that on (hover trim )

Load the helicopter with its normal payload, and hover the helicopter in no-wind conditions in Stabilize flight mode. Land it and pull the log, noting the roll angle that you had to hold with the stick to keep the helicopter from drifting. Enter this value in the ATC_HOVR_RLL_TRIM parameter in centidegrees
where to find that value in the Log?? I been looking all over the logs can’t find that value?

I know you said put the value of 400 in ATC_HOVR_RLL_TRIM, but I am just trying ti see where is rolll angle value in the log??

Thank you so much Bill…
Ozzy

In mission planner, after you download and the open the log. You will see on the left hand side a list of messages. Hit the plus sign next to the message that reads “ATT”. You will then click the box next to Roll and that will show a trace. You then have to determine when you were in a steady hover and determine the roll angle from that.