Nimbus Tricopter VTOL

Made some servo servo housings to replace the wonderfully reliable E-max servos if anyone is interested, have .stl or .catpart files. Probably could help make mods if you have a particular servo.

One day the bird will fly!

1 Like

Which modes are people using for forward flight? FBW?

Kevin,

Please post your .stl fileā€¦thanks!

For initial testing, use FBWA. Once you are happy with a few flights, you can try CRUISE and LOITER modes as these are used to calibrate the AS sensor before enabling it.

2 Likes

Youā€™re the best, thanks!

Hey Greg, our pitch is reversed in Qhover but correct in FBWAā€¦ ever encountered a similar issue?

Pitch from the transmitter control or pitch from the flight controller compensation when moving the plane nose up or down?

It seems correct from the transmitterā€¦ It either works in Qhover and then not in FBWA or vice versa. All other movement seems fine.

You definitely want it to work properly in FBWA mode. Make sure that your safety switch is pushed and you are disarmed. I would go back to using the Mission Planner screen in the Radio Control Calibration section of the WiKi and verify proper setup.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you, we figured it out!

Hey we have some parameters set for our first fbwa flight.

Q_TILT_MAX - 45 DEG
Q_TILT_RATE_UP 200 DEG/S
Q_TILT_RATE_DN 50 DEG/S
LIM_ROLL_CD 15 DEG
LIM_PITCH_MAX 20 DEG
LIM_PITCH_MIN -15 DEG
ARSPD_FBW_MAX 22 M/S <- CONSIDERING RAISING
ARSPD_FBW_MIN 14 M/S

If anyone has an immediate objection to these or an addition itā€™d be great!

Thanks

I donā€™t have any objection since we all fly our planes differently with different weights. These are the parameters that I have different from your settings. The ARSPD_FBW values are so that I have 14-15ms speed at mid-throttle. After many flights, I realized that my Nimbus could fly quite slow so there was no need to fly faster for fear of stalling.

• Q_TILT_MAX = 65
  • LIM_ROLL_CD = 4500 (45 degrees)
  • ARSPD_FBW_MAX = 20
  • ARSPD_FBW_MIN = 9

Also, on the initial flights, as mentioned above,

• Set ARSPD_USE = 0 and ARSPD_AUTOCAL = 1 for the calibration flight.
  • Verify operation in flight log.
  • Set ARSPD_USE = 1 and ARSPD_AUTOCAL = 0 if good operation

Cheers!

3 Likes

Youā€™re the best, will do!

Would you recommend to have the tilt_rate_dn/up at those values we have set them to? Weā€™re concerned that we put in the wrong values as weā€™re not sure of the dynamics when transitioning.

I didnā€™t flag them because they are identical to mine.

@GregCovey, attached are the .stl files for the servo mounts, if you have a specific servo you are using I can modify the .stl for you and send it over. The aileron servo mounts are a direct fit for the original ones, just need to cut out the perimeter with an x-acto knife. Tail servo mounts can really be put anywhere, I have dimensions for placement if you want them.Aileron_Cover.stl (70.4 KB) Nimbus_Aileron_Mount.stl (243.2 KB) S3777SV _Cover.stl (97.1 KB) S3777SV_Mount.stl (221.5 KB)

1 Like

Hello Greg: Now iā€™ve been having a big problem, i can no longer get a GPS on the J T16 Pro or the Taranis , iā€™ve tried discover sensors at least 20 times after i waited on seeing it on MP that i had HDOP 0.8,gps grid cord and 14-16 sats i even tried adding a new sensor and rediscover then waited nothing happens i tried changing Pixhawks 2.4.8 tried 3 different new compass/GPS tried reinstalling yaapu scripts,sounds,widgets and nothing seems to work oh and iā€™ve changed telem ports on the pixhawks and changed serial protocol to 10 and i still get nothing and i just donā€™t get it it worked great before so would you have any suggestions ? Thanks B.K

If I read this right, you have GPS when using the MavLink telemetry to Mission Planner (or QGC) but do not have GPS on the Yaapu telemetry in either transmitter.

NO GPS means the radio is not receiving the MavLink status packets. Do you hear the ā€œdingā€ sounds on the transmitter when it is receiving messages, especially during a Pixhawk boot-up? Make sure that you have the correct versions on each radio. The latest for Taranis is 1.8.0. For Horus, it is version 1.8.1.

Hi Greg:That is correct Mp shows 3D Lock,14-17 sats 0.7-1.0 HDOP and Grid Cord i have the 180v on the Taranis and 181v on the J T16/ running the Horus version both TXā€™s when starting up ding ding yaapu telem ready both flash no telementry data / disarmed and NO GPS, i go to the telem page and it will not discover a GPS on either of my Transmitters ?? IDK Iā€™m Stumped FYI iā€™m running OTX v 2.3.7 but it was working perfect and now it wonā€™t discover a gps and thats what it needs to run yaapu script.
Thanks B.K

HI Greg: just wanted to mention i also tried different telem ports and i get the same results and when i disconnect the Tx says telem lost B.K

Try deleting all sensors first and then select discovery. The process only takes a few seconds so no need to wait any longer. Disable discovery when finished before exiting the screen. If that doesnā€™t work, I would ask Alex.