Nimbus Tricopter VTOL

Hi Steven,
thank you for your good wishes. What improvements for the flight operations are you expecting by running the 4.0.1 version?
Yes, documentation is a difficult issue (for this “RTF” product). Many versions are available, but the one you get along with your product is hardly the one that suits.
Anybody has an idea, how the different flight modes in Ardupilot are used in the Foxtech version? Some flight modes switch from copter to fixwing operation, e g. when going into ACRO mode…

Hi Pascal,
@GregCovey would be best to talk about flight modes but ACRO won’t be one of them for steady flight I have Q Stabilize, Q Hover, FBWA, CRUISE, LOITER, Q Hover.
I can’t afford to put $5000 aircraft in the air with unverified firmware, Tridge has confirmed this and I doubt my insurance would cover me. Also the because the foxtech firmware has its own source code you cannot be certain what effect parameter changes will have on aircraft performance or function.
Foxtech have documentation stating 4.0.1 so I know they have a build that will fly on standard Arduplane upgrades to 4.0.7 from there should be doable and there are obvious benefits to that, and others have been able to fly on standard Arduplane 4.0.x, but I’m not sure if they are using PG20. I was supposed to recieve a copy of these parameters from Foxtech today, but I recieved again standard Foxtech Parameters instead.

I would really like to have Arduplane 4.0.x parameters from anybody with PG20 version. if anyone could share.

Hi Steven,
okay, so running the supplied firmware is not necessarily a danger per se, but the lack of security about the parameter settings.
As far as I could identify, the version on my Cube is 4.1.0dev. I don’t know whether this is of any help…

Hi Pascal, In Mission Planner I don’t get any version displayed, so this is a positive for you. Yes mine is a security/safety issue around firmware version and parameters.

Hi Pascal, So I found I’m running 4.1.0dev chibiOS as well, I cannot find any relevant literature on it though, unlike the stable released versions which have lots of chatter. What dev. actually entails and weather it is inherently stable and weather the source code is consistent to 4.0.x. Hopefully I’ll learn more soon and get in the air.

Steve,

The meanings of the versions from the WiKi are below. When you use a “dev” version, it is from the “latest” category and meant for developers or experienced testers only. There are no release notes until it moves to the “beta” and then “stable” categories. There is a thread below for copters that explains some of the process, which should be the same for plane.

Firmware 4.1.0 Release Notes

• stable - this is the version recommended for new users. It has had the most testing
  • beta - this is the firmware to choose if you want to be part of beta testing of new versions prior to release as a stable version. Note that during some development times the beta release will be the same as the stable release
  • latest - this is the latest version from our git source code repository. This version is only for developers. The code may have unknown bugs and extreme care should be taken by anyone using it

Cheers!

Thanks Greg,
Well that says it all, looks like I’m on the ground until Foxtech gets its ducks in a row - or I manage to find a set of parameters running 4.0.6. I’m astounded that they would use this code as their retail firmware - Bordering on criminal.

Steve,

What makes you think that you need new parameters?

Hi Greg

With the parameters sent by Foxtech The PG 20 gets switched around ( can be fixed by adjusting servo 10 from 0 to 1 ) and Q-YAW is disabled just by loading stable version 4.0.6. Those are the errors I have been able to identify with my limited experience and just in a hover. I have been warned by Foxtech not to use any other parameters or firmware other then theirs which includes the developer firmware 4.1.0. - on a retail PNP model. I cannot legitimately fly for reward or pay with an aircraft on unstable firmware. I have previously asked for a functioning PG20 parameters on 4.0.x stable versions from this group the FB page and Foxtech, and none have been forthcoming. At this point I have probably annoyed too many people with my ramblings, but in the background my concerns are being taken seriously by Ardupilot and Cube.

Take care

Steve

Steve,

Perhaps it’s not as black and white as it seems. Some companies do provide their own custom firmware and parameters. So the “dev” label can also come from a company doing their own compiling and building after making custom changes. This combination would likely have been well tested by the company.

I had a similar situation with the MFE Freeman. They provided custom “dev” software and parameters for their tilt-rotor VTOL which worked much better than the standard release firmware. There were new parameters exposed that could not be entered into the standard release firmware but I knew it was well tested and now others have proven it as well. Their latest model, the Fighter 4+1, can use regular release firmware.

Both Foxtech FPV and MakeFlyEasy are Corporate Partners of ArduPilot.

Cheers!

Hi Nimbus crew, what’s the Servo type for the motor in the aft? I read the documentation a few times but didn’t notice anything about the aft motor, only that the two front motors throttle should be set as left and right motor throttles, which I assume are 73 and 74. I guess the aft motor should be motor #4 per the copter doc, but would appreciate your input. thanks

[edit] i just chanced upon this page which uses servo function 33, 34 for the two front motor throttles, rather than 73,74…i assume because he has flown before, he must be right?

Hi Greg,
I understand that many do and have flown this Firmware, and had it not been bought to my attention I would probably be flying it too. But I’m glad he did.
The Australian standard UAV operations manual states.
’ Avionic and control systems software is only to be updated after the version has been confirmed as being stable '…‘Where an issue arises with the new software / firmware is to be rolled back to the previous stable version’.

So even if I wanted to, as a commercial operator in AUS I cannot. This is why I have sought a stable version of PG20 parameters on 4.0.1, which is the last reference I can find on foxtech website of them using Stable firmware.
I work as a full time Rescue officer, some of what we do others would consider dangerous, I don’t because the gear we use is rigorously tested (stable) so it won’t fail, and we operate to procedures (manuals) that minimise Human factors. The same principals apply throughout aviation.

I have also been following this build of yours and it will probably be my first home build. I’m glad it uses latest Ardulane.

Take Care

Steve

Hi Ron,

There is no servo associated with the rear motor. It is only used when hovering.

Cheers!

hi Greg I meant setting the function of the flight control output connected to the ESC of the aft motor. it was not explicitly explained in the documentation, but i think it should be ‘motor 4’. I am also confused about the ESCs of the two front motors, whether they should be ‘left/right motor throttles’ as the documentation suggests or ‘motor 1/2’ as the link I pasted used. i don’t want to find out the hard way in a flight test.

Hi Ron,
as far as I can say for my Foxtech Nimbus, the three ESCs are controlled via 33,34 and 36, respectively, so you are guessing right about Motor4.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Petrou,
Re reading this thread and found this link, thankyou. I will give these 4.0.1 Parameters a try. Have you manged to get your nimbus back in the air or have you decided on another build?
Steve

Ron,

I agree with Pascal. See post #185 or 186, whichever has the Pixhawk wiring diagram.

Cheers!

1 Like

HI All,
Just a little positive update, I have recieved my 14Ah 15c battery and tomorrow will go do a longer test flight in Q mode. As for my previous concerns this what I have found out through discussion with Tridge. The 4.0.1dev used for my Foxtech is not the current master version and is less stable- this was identified due to the Q-yaw functioning when on the ground when in 4.1.0.(foxtech version) This has been removed form 4.0.x stable versions and disabled in current 4.1.0 master. PG20 can be set to either 0 or 1 in servo 7 depending and once set remains or by passed if using a single battery. I have not had any further issues with this. I’m hopeful that the source code will be released to the development team soon.

She flies… well hovers
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Auv-5QlGCPQojwyjvoLulQSkHVEv?e=hOfYjA
password: sheflies

Congrats, Steve.
I had a similar experience during my maiden. A bit nervous, but worked out of the box and hovered stable. As you, I haven’t had the nerves to go into transition or cruise yet. It’s a bit cold here and not getting better for flying.
Almost 6 minutes of hover is not bad for the battery, as I measured around 40 Amps at hover. What type of battery are you using ?
I realized that you seem to have a similar issue with disarming as I had. Only randomly I could disarm via the RC controller.