New User & New project - Deciding on Firmware/Vehicle type to suit mission

Hello Everyone,

I’ll try to keep this short-ish; I’m a new user, and hopefully not the first to be a little overwhelmed by the scale of choice available. There’s an awful lot to read and I’m getting through it, but at this point I need a little nudge in the right direction, please…

The project is for a water based craft that will fly using a live hydrofoil wing requiring stability input for pitch and roll of the foil and height of the hull above water. The craft will also need to loiter/hold position in moving water before execution to follow a path.

I ‘think’ the most applicable firmware/vehicle type to start with will be a quadplane, substituting vertical rotors for thrusters to loiter/hold position and then transition to forward ‘flight’ using hydrofoil elevons and propeller.

I’m banking on the ability to customise the function of each input/output, but as there doesn’t seem to be a vehicle type already listed I need to to start with something.

Your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated, as is the wealth of information in the forum!

Kind regards,
Berto

My guess is that you’ll need to use Rover, which is what we generally use for boats. It will need some changes though.
You should chat to @iampete, he is the one who works most closely in this area

Hi @Berto

I have a hydrofoiling project of my own,

So far I have done (but not yet tested) the code for active roll and pitch control on rover.

Not put very much thought into altitude stabilisation, was planning to see how far I can get with just roll and pitch, my boat should handle altitude by itself. Not really sure what you mean for loitering? Rover will loiter in a water flow fine but do you mean some system that actively keeps it out of the water?

What is the application? We could do a plane type loiter where it keeps moving.

1 Like