New Tuning Instructions Wiki Page

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers

Good work, handy, very handy.

I’ve simplified and fixed a couple of things in this updated sheet, please download and it try out while I work out how to get it functioning in the Tuning Process Instructions doco.

3 Likes

It looks a little cleaner and I like how you separated out the battery settings from the others. The new suggested settings are appreciated. I noticed that three parameter have been removed from the new spreadsheet:

AUTOTUNE_AGGR
MOT_BAT_CURR_MAX
MOT_BAT_CURR_MAX

I am just curious what was the reason for removing them?

It’s good to know someone is checking :slight_smile:
For those settings the defaults are the correct settings and shouldn’t be changed unless you undertake a little further investigation. I was keeping in mind this spreadsheet is for initial setup, and for first-time builds.
They’d been included before because I was tweaking them previously and needn’t have been in that old spreadsheet.

1 Like

I updated my spreadsheet again to fix mistakes in parameter names, please download a new copy

11 Likes

That is looking good mate. The values seem to work well accross the full range of aircraft that are practial right now.

Well done!

That spreadsheet is awesome. It matches the hand calc values that I do all the time. What would be super cool is… if you could export those vales into a text file that I could use to upload into MP :slight_smile:

I really do think there you be a “How to Setup your Multirotor with AP” sticky that includes this sheet as well as a link to the tuning page.

There seems to be a bunch of folks posting their “I crashed” or “it just does’t fly right” type of threads that never set all the initial tuning parameters before their first flight.

That is just what you can do, copying the data and import them to your FC (via a quick edit in notepad ++)

I did try that, and yep… Copy, add in the comma and good to go

Here’s the notepad++ instructions

• Enter your prop size in inches , and the number of LiPo cells .
  • Copy/Paste the calculated values into notepad++
  • Search, Replace
  • Select Search mode “Extended”
  • Find what: /t {tabs}
  • Replace with: , {commas}
  • Save As some_filename.param

I toyed with the idea of getting the spreadsheet to generate a param file but then you lose cross-platform compatibility, and it gets quite complex.
It’s already proving difficult to get it working as an “online” interactive sheet or calculator, but I haven’t given up yet.

3 Likes

Great work so far. It’s much easier than having to look up the tuning page everytime in order to remember all the settings

Was going to suggest something in javascript to post online. Should be able to host via github pages if you keep it simple.

Hi Shawn

Question on your spreadsheet. the PSC_ACCZ_P parameter does not allow a value lower than .5 - 1.5 as the options… my current Mot_THST_HOVER is .3282355 … any suggestions on this?.. Thanks!

It’s just a warning in MissionPlanner, in the full parameters you can set any value required.

Hi Shawn…

The spread sheet works great for someone like me with limited experience- thanks again as I successfully flew a new copter today with full confidence in your settings… to you have any suggestions on PIDs to begin with prior to running autotune… based off props, battery weight etc

Thanks again

@xfacta

Shawn

Your BATT _ keys do not exist in AC4.0.3

I get a message saying they done exist. I well looking for them, and they are not there

Not a big deal just figured I would let you know.

Thanks Dave
I can see them OK in AC 4.0.3 and AC 4.0.2 on actual craft, and I see them in the doco Complete Parameter List for both AC 4.0.x and AC 3.6.x versions. https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/parameters.html
It must be that you haven’t selected a BATT_MONITOR current and voltage sensor type and rebooted.

All the additional BATT2, BATT3 settings have nothing under them either until you select a BATT2_MONITOR value (and so on down the list).

@xfacta. Thanks. I will check this out in the morning.

I’m going to suggest to everyone to leave INS_GYRO_FILTER at default 20 instead of using the calculated value in the spreadsheet - UNLESS you’ve got a small frame, say 12inches or smaller, and in that case you will need the calculated higher value INS_GYRO_FILTER along with manual tuning and higher PIDs.

I’m not suggesting this is ideal for every combination - the idea is to create a fairly stable starting point where people can get their multirotors in the air and move on to Autotune.

I’ve updated the spreadsheet with this caveat - please download a new copy if you need to.
The spreadsheet works well in LibreOffice if you don’t have the Microsoft products.