New FIMI Manta VTOL Fixed Wing

Every once and while my manta does a flip when I switch from FBWA to QLOITER.
It rights itself so as long as high enough no damage. But wonder what is going on to cause that. Any else have that happen? Perhaps I need to slow down a bit first? Or perhaps speed up? Just curious to see if it’s just my manta. I’m using the built in FC. Normally flies great apart from this weird flip.

Yea when I switch from FBWA to Q stabilised it does a roll sometimes,not sure what is wrong with it,maybe one of the devs could have a look

Mine has done it about three times already, after switching from FBWA to QLOITER. But it was already in a quasi-steady state, while descending. Two 90deg flips forward in a row. The wind always blew stronger. The same thing happened to me a few times also with Convergence from E-Flite, in a similar situation. I think it could be the wind and discharged battery. The high currents during the wind stabilisation could cause a drop in voltage and goofy reaction of FC. During flip was the current around 50Amps. It would be good to check the logging data. Or it is caused by some wrongly set parameter, but I think this is less likely.

1 Like

The back transition to Q-modes with this unlucky product is like playing Russian roulette.

Me and a friend from a local forum have also experienced numerous rolls, somersaults and, even worse, sudden dives into the ground with this aircraft during the transition to Q-modes without finding any indication of a firmware error, faulty parametrisation, discharged batteries or similar etc. On the contrary, I now suspect that due to aerodynamic causes while props are tilting and under certain wind conditions, the wings are blown so unfavourably by the propwash that lift suddenly collapses on one or both sides. In the case of tiltrotors, other manufacturers have already observed this in their Tritilt VTOLs. Unlike Fimi, however, they then withdrew their product from the market. As far as I know, Fimi has not yet asked any of the developers for commercial support or become an Ardupilot partner. Although they desperately needed it. As it is today, the Manta is best rebuilt as a fixed wing or thrown in the rubbish.

Just my 2 cents
Rolf

2 Likes

Hi All,

I bought the version without the fc as i want to put my own in. My setup:

Speedybee F405 wing
Speedy bee 4 in 1 esc
Matek gps and compass
3s li-ion
Elrs
Walksnail vtx

I have set it up from scratch in ardupilot and this is the first time i have used ardupilot. I think i have my head around most of it.

The problems still to solve:
Manta swinging back and forth in yaw
Stop the manta drifting in hover

I had a lot of sever hover issues but most of them were solved with calibrating the escs, it turns out there is not a d-shot version for the SB f405 wing so had to do it the old fashioned way.

The thing that im curious about is, how is the @tilt setup of the rest of you, i have set it up for vecterd thrust, how have you lot set it up.

Things i am going to do:
Glue the wings on as the lactch is a joke
Relocate the gps as i think the magnets / fc are having a negitive effect
Stiffen up the hinges on the tilt arms as there is a lot of slop.

This link doesn’t work. Is there anywhere else for the factory parameters

I just redesigned the motor mounts with less slop, it now uses a 4mm carbon rod as the hinge.

Need a bit of teeaking but its solid as a rock, no more side to side wobble.

If anyone wants it ill put it up on cults when i have it perfect.

1 Like

Thank you Ian,and can you please post here as well when ready

Will do my friend, i just need to move the hole for the control rod up a touch as its rubbing. It will be up tomorrow.

How is everyone finding the cg, mine is ballancing now but i have no fpv gear in it yet

1 Like

Yea I am just resetting the cg I put on a camera gimble and made it very difficult to get C o G right but taken gimbal off now,from my outlook on the Manta it is not the best produced craft but it does fly so so well im kinda house bound at the moment but want to do some serious VTOLing with both the Manta and Heewing

Did you ever fix your flip over problem? I’m pulling my hair out. After weeks of trying I can’t raise the throttle without the aircraft flipping to the right. I think I’ve tried all the suggestions and am almost ready to give up and try INAV

1 Like

Im not able to fly at the moment,but I had the Manta flying reasonably still needs little tweaking

I ordered another esc, and soldered the motor exactly. From my experience, arduplane needs M1, M2, and M3 exact. I took the FC and ESC apart, and soldered the wires from FC to the new ESC. M1 M2 and M3 need to be exact as before.

Yes. Then, it worked.

Hey Ian

Came across your post randomly on googling and after crashing my Fimi Manta and ripping off some pads on the stock PNP flight controller decided to get some new parts and coincidentally got the exact same as yours.

Any chance you can drop your parameters in so I don’t have to start from scratch. If I figure out the hover issues I will let you know. Waiting for one final part before I rebuild.

Also BTW not sure if you seen this but this thingiverse GPS mount is what I am printing as I write this in polycarbonate. Maybe worth printing it if you have a 3d printer.

Cheers mate.

Hi are your motors going the correct way and do you have the correct motor order?
Motor 1 is front right - ccw
Motor 2 is rear - cw
Motor 4 is front left - cw

@Heresjohnny

you can get my latest param file here: Manta Vtol 12-05-24.param - Google Drive

At the moment, it will hover fine.

The out puts are - s1 - s4 Servos - s5 - s7 motors

2 Likes

Legend, Thanks Ian, once I get it together I’ll let you know how I go. Not sure if it will work however have you tried QAutotune?

1 Like

I have but, i think the problems that i have a due to the gps location and the latral slop in the motor mounts that i have now sorted.

Ill put the files up later

1 Like

Ahhh got you, let me know how it goes. Nothing worse then when you get instability and all your thinking about when your hovering is don’t suddenly crash lol.

Good luck.

1 Like

I’ll try that thanks

1 Like