My 1st Rover Project

Sorry Mus, I’m not familiar with that.

I’m using waypoints that are close together so I don’t want the rover crossing over each waypoint path. I would have thought the Here 2 would have given me better positioning but it really hasn’t made any improvement. I would have been happy with even 10-20% improvement from the cheap GPS modules but it hasn’t even achieved that. It’s Literally the same rubbish. Very disappointed with the Here 2 GPS which is apparently a “better quality module” it really isn’t any different from the £20 modules you can buy from amazon. £300 down the drain🤦🏻‍♂️

Which kit did you buy? Have a link?

The Here2 has the same M8N uBlox chip as the cheapest GPS modules. I suppose the really cheap ones may have clone chips but I don’t know. I have used everything from an $18 module to a Here GNSS (1st edition) and many in between in cost and the differences are not that great. My Rover has a Here GNSS and it has expected positional accuracy in the meter range.

Meter range is ok but this thing is far off meter range. And when the rover moves it’s even worse.

how are you testing this?

I have made a waypoint mission in my garden. I watch the rover and watch it on MP. It’s all over the place. It doesn’t stick to the waypoints at all & the position it shows on MP is far from stable. It’s obvious that the GPS can’t get a decent fix on its position.

do you have a tlog?
http://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/common-mission-planner-telemetry-logs.html

I’m out right now but once home I can get the bin & tlogs sent over👍🏼

Wanted to ask if there’s a way to update/tune the Here 2 gps via U-Centre? I tried to connect it but no data showed up. As this person suggested there’s a way of implementing PPP (Precise Point Positioning) somehow. I’m guessing via U-Centre but I wouldn’t have a clue how to do this unless someone on here has any experience

And your garden is probably surrounded by trees, buildings and other stuff that blocks the view low to the horizon I would think

Both the Here 2 gps & my very cheap gps modules were both tested in the same garden. There are some houses and some low level bushes. Both the Here 2 & the cheaper stuff you can buy off amazon have identical results in regards to accuracy. I think Here 2 is just pricey due to the name & not what it can actually do. From what I’ve seen it’s the same as the SE100 & that even had a better HDOP.

Here 2 GPS HDOP at best is 1.2
SE100 GPS HDOP at best was 0.6 & it’s not even a dual gps.

Something isn’t right here unless I’ve overlooked something regarding parameters etc

Has anyone hooked up the Here 2 GPS to U-Center? I would like to see what satellites it’s receiving as it states in the product description:

• Concurrent reception of up to 3 GNSS (GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou)
1 Like

Try it yourself and see if you get anything useful out of it.
http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-ublox-gps.html

And those cheap GPS modules do have concurrent reception of 2 Sat systems

It also has a IMU, a barometer and a CANbus chip. Not that any of that fancy kit is of any use to Mr. Noob. That’s one down side to CAN, it adds cost. We use CANbus output amplifiers on some of our sensors for Automotive Markets and they add significant cost to the amp.

I’m using the CAN mode right now. The setup was straightforward and the LED’s are all working just fine. Only downer here is the accuracy

That’s cool CAN is working but you are not getting any advantage from it. Well, OK LED’s…

For the few guys that are using CAN for everything (sensors, esc’s, etc) it makes a lot of sense for a very clean configuration.

Does using CAN make a difference in GPS positioning? I’ve tried both and can’t see a difference so far

No, it’s just a communication bus, it’s carrying the same info as I2C or a serial port. CANbus is useful when you have multiple chanells of data like the Here2 has with those other sensors. But again there is no advantage to you. It’s like buying a weather station with wind speed, wind direction, barometric pressure, rain gauge, humidity and temperature when all you really wanted was a thermometer :roll_eyes:

2 Likes