Monocular obstacle avoidance using companion computer

Is there anyway for the companion computer to fly with only one camera as FPV pilot does, such as avoid obstables in the camera?

Anyway or companion computer software do the job like above using just one camera for FPV flight to avoid obstacles?

Hi @lida2003,

It’s quite complicated for an AI (or similar) to fly a vehicle with just a single camera. You could do some googling for monocular SLAM.

I’m sure it will be possible in the future with the fast advances of multi-modal AI but I don’t think we’re quite there yet.

Thanks @rmackay9

As it’s quite complicated (It’s a quite long stuff. And I’ll take a look at monocular SLAM later.)
I think I can learn this step by step.

Firstly, let myself to be the pilot telling the drone to move forwad/backword/left/right how many centmeters.

Secondly, let well developed technology to do the job or test thoes code out there, maybe monocular SLAM(as it’s not there yet now) etc.

So Is there any software avaliable for me to try the first step: using command (mavlink) to tell the drone to got from here to there? (something like DJI tello)

As now, I’m trying to telling my drone to move as I commanded. (Finally, maybe it can fly by it self for preset distance and land safely.)

Here is my drone with Raspberry Pi3B+ on it. Is there any code avaliable for me to try?

Guided mode accepts commands to move the vehicle if that’s what you mean.

If you want to actually talk to the drone then the most advanced we have is the MAVProxy chat module. It’s very much just a proof of concept though.

1 Like

Yeah, I have read that post. I’ll try it and learn the code. Is there any code for kind of indoor test?