MicroArduCopter, 3" props, Omnibus Nano, Success!

Hi Alberto, Yes this is the correct procedure and it worked for me.

What is your value of MOT_THST_HOVER ?

The wiki says to set a value lower then expected as initial setting for this parameter (say 0.25), then when in hover the correct value should be learned.

Andrea, my current values is:

MOT_THST_HOVER,0.35
PSC_ACCZ_I,1
PSC_ACCZ_P,0.5
MOT_HOVER_LEARN,2

Now alt hold worked!! :slight_smile:

I tried autotune single roll axis but donā€™t start. Both as flight mode and with CH7. I set the motors that do not start with armed quad and gas at zero. what can I try to start autotune?
With 450mA 2s it flies almost 5 min 3.7V cells

Thanks!

It wonā€™t start unless you are hovering stably and your throttle is at the midpoint, so you need the hover thrust set correctly.

Hi,
on mission planner, works CLI interface? For me and Hakrc mini f4 no worked

And another question ā€¦

how can autotune work if the D gain starts at 0.001 and Iā€™m already at 0.00016?

You need to set min D waaaaay lower. I use 0.0003 on my 3"

Has anyone using 2s (@maroquio @Hugues, and I forget who else) found any new ESCā€™s that work well? Iā€™m planning my winter build with the new small f7 board Andyā€™s been using, and a micro 4k camera. There are a bunch of new 20x20 escā€™s on the market, but all of them Iā€™ve found so far say the minimum is 3s. Needs to be blheli_32.
The Aikon Iā€™ve been using is alright, but doesnā€™t do current over telemetry. And itā€™s a bit heavyā€¦

@andyp1per, the progress youā€™re making on the filters is awesome!

This one claims 2S. I have used Spedix on other craft with good success. GetFPV or Raceday Quads.
Spedix GS25 25A 4-in-1 2-4s BLHeli_32 Dshot ESC

Tried itā€¦ It cuts out at just below 7v. Which is the case w/ most of the ESCā€™s that said they support 2s last year. (ori32 being anotherā€¦ I tested at least 5 different ESCā€™s last year that all said they support 2s, and the results were not good on any of them. Other than the ak32. Blheli_s escā€™s were all fineā€¦ But I want telemetry)
The voltage can droop down to about 5v on 2s. The ak32 Iā€™m using now works down that low and fails gracefully. The motors start twitching a bit before they go, so thatā€™s a sign to ease up on the throttle and land ASAP.
But Iā€™m mad about them because their documentation said, and still says, supports current over telemetry, and it does NOT. It supports current over analog, but not telemetry. But, at least itā€™s an option. And maybe I can get analog current working on the f7 boardā€¦ the f4 Iā€™m using now doesnā€™t have enough ports for it along w/ telemetry.

I think we had this conversation. Iā€™m using an Ori ESC. But its on 4S. That is maddening that the stated specs are wrong. On Raceday Quads they show several claiming 2s but you likely know better than they do!

Hello! Iā€™m with 3 new ESCs to test, two from Cicada (BLHeli_s) and one Mamba (BLHeli_32). The best up to now is the Lumenier 20A 4in1, but no telemetry too. I will keep you informed when I do the tests.

1 Like

Andy, with 2" and D 0.0003 shakes, so apply this, but in according with arducopter wiki. But for values below 5", so i can have this high value for D

PID Controller Initial Setup
INS_ACCEL_FILTER - 10Hz to 20Hz
INS_GYRO_FILTER - 80Hz for 5 inch props, 40Hz for 10 inch props, 20Hz for 20 inch props
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT - INS_GYRO_FILTER / 2
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT - INS_GYRO_FILTER / 2
ATC_RAT_YAW_FILT - 2
ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX - 110000 for 10 inch props, 50000 for 20 inch props, 20000 for 30 inch props
ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX - 110000 for 10 inch props, 50000 for 20 inch props, 20000 for 30 inch props
ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX - 27000 for 10 inch props, 18000 for 20 inch props, 9000 for 30 inch props

This part of wiki:

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/tuning-process-instructions.html

If your D is too high you will smoke your motors. You just want to give autotune the flexibility to find the right D. If you are following the wiki and still getting shaking then all I can suggest is turn on the notch - that works wonders for me on these small quads.

I love my Tekko32 - plugs right into the KakuteF7Mini port and telemetry is all done. But min 3s - why the fixation with 2s?

Two legitimate reasonsā€¦ I have a LOT of 2s batteries that I really likeā€¦ The 950mah grapheneā€™s. They take all the abuse I throw at them and keep goingā€¦ I puff every other battery Iā€™ve tried (I eventually donā€™t pay attention to my voltage on a flight and drain them completely and they puff). But, it has been a couple years since I tried any other batteries, so maybe things have improved.
And 2nd, I also use 18650ā€™s when I want to fly long range or for a long timeā€¦ Those keep me in the air for 15-20 minutes, which is pretty good on a little 3" prop copter. I donā€™t think I could lift 3 18650s.

And besides those, I ā€˜feel likeā€™ my copter performs better than the people Iā€™ve talked to running 4s. And by that, I mean local people or people in betaflight racing type forums, who might not be the best at building quads. You guys might be getting better performance than the locals around hereā€¦ But, I can fly 80 mph. I can fly for at least 6 minutes w/ the graphenes (Iā€™ve gotten 11 minutes on a slow hover). Itā€™s obviously not as powerful as a 3 or 4s battery. But theyā€™re lighterā€¦ so, that evens out the performance.

Dkemxr, yeah, weā€™ve had this conversationā€¦ Iā€™m just seeing if anything has changed since 8 months ago or whenever that was.

Interesting. Iā€™m flying with 850mah 4s graphene - by my calculation that should give me 12.75Wh whereas you will get 7.125Wh, so Iā€™m interested why your performance is so good. Do you think itā€™s the weight of the battery? Mine come in at about 120g

120g for just the battery? My battery is only 50g. My lightest ardu-microcopter is about 137g all up.
My philosophy w/ these has always been to keep them as light as possibleā€¦ Thatā€™s part of why I originally went w/ 2s. For these small inefficient props, I think weight makes a big difference.

And I was thinkingā€¦ is there something like cavitation for props in the air, like there is for boats? It seems like at some point maybe the props will spin faster but not move any more air. But, I donā€™t knowā€¦ maybe thatā€™s not an issue for the relatively shallow pitch of these propellersā€¦

I guess you pay for the punchout :slight_smile: My 75c batteries are 120g, 45c 100g

if I put D at 0.00016 it vibrates, with 0.001 it donā€™t shakes and motors is ok ā€¦ not hot. I donā€™t understand why the minimum D in autotune starts at 0.001 and cannot be changed in full parameters list. Maybe thatā€™s why autotune doesnā€™t start?