MicroArduCopter, 3" props, Omnibus Nano, Success!

Hi wicked1,could you please share your pid’s,im down to .08 and 07 on pitch and roll ans still massive vibes,many thank’s

I started w/ p=.03, i=.03, d-.0005
Auto-tune increased them to about p,i=.04 and d=.0009

Start w/ the lower numbers… You probably have to set them in the full parameter list, as the extended tuning screen might not let you go that low.

You should also change your filter settings…
Change these too:
INS_GYRO_FILTER = 80
INS_ACCEL_FILTER = 10 (Some people have trouble w/ this one this low… Maybe leave it at 20, or some have put it up to 40 to fix issues w/ altitude hold)
MOT_THST_EXPO = 0.5
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT = 40
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT = 40

SCHED_LOOP_RATE=800
(This last one is sort of experimental at this point)

2 Likes

I should also mention, I have relatively weak 1103 motors and 2s batteries.
A more powerful setup would need even lower PID’s.

Generally bigger copters need larger PID’s because there’s more mass to move, and more powerful batteries/motors need lower PID’s.

1 Like

Amazing thread here wicked1. Congrats on the slick build!

I’ve been trying to get a 3" ‘MicroArducopter’ (also with an Omnibus Nano) to work in Drift mode for a couple weeks now with little success. I got it tuned well enough to fly around confidently in Acro, but it would pitch, roll, and lose altitude all over the place in Drift. I was in dire need of help when I came across this thread.

Thank you for sharing your settings, there are a few that I didn’t even know of. I will tune accordingly and be sure to report back!

Here is my 3" setup:
Omnibus Nano V6
Airbot Ori32 4-in-1
Taoglas GPS
1306 Emax red bottoms
Runcam Split
TBS Unify Race
Axii Stubby
FlySky-A8S

Best,
Andy

2 Likes

I am so greatfull to you wicked1,will put them in and try again,you are a pure star in my eye’s,cheers im owe you a whiskey or 2

Cool work @wicked1! I’m trying to tune the position controller of my small copter (~250). Surely I’ll test your parameters, but can you check my logs and video here?
(I’m using motion capture to have precise localization and tune the parameters as smooth as possibile)

1 Like

Just been out with my one flying very nice in stabilized but like a jack in a jumping box in loiter or position hold have xy velocity and increased xy position in extended tuning any other advice please

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153418808@N03/44511851681/in/dateposted-public/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/153418808@N03/43794044694/in/dateposted-public/

Is it smooth in altitude hold?
First tune stabilize. (Sounds like that is ok)
Next, tune Alt_hold.
Then last, tune Loiter.

So, let me know if alt_hold is ok, and then we’ll know if it needs Z tuning or XY tuning.

-That looks like a much more powerful copter than mine, so you might need some very low PID’s.

1 Like

Hi,firstly what is your name dont like calling you wicked1 as your so helpfull,so reduce P in alt hold in extended tuning
when i was out alt holding was like pids to kigh jumping about

yea it is a 5 inch quad,and thanks for your help

My last name is Wicke, so that’s why this is my forum name :slight_smile:

Alright, so for Alt_hold tunig, the names of these values have changed, and I don’t have time to figure out their new PSC names. But I think you can still decrease these values on the “extended tuning” screen under their old names.

So, on the extended tuning screen look at “Throttle Accel” and lower them a lot. I had mine all the way down to p=.1 i=.2 d=0. (I was able to increase them to p=.2, i=.4)
The next box over, I think is called “Throttle Rate”, and I put it on 3 (default was 5).
And the next box over is “Altitude Hold P”, and I have mine on .3 (default was 1).

All these settings have different names now in the “psc” section, but you’ll have to figure that out by seeing which values change there when you change these settings. I don’t remember, and can’t look it up right now. I was able to lower the values from the “extended tuning” screen, but not increase them. I had to find their new PSC name to increase them.

2 Likes

Also, you need to cover your barometer w/ foam. I needed a lot. I originally had a small square of foam over the baro, and it wasn’t enough. I had to cover my entire flight controller with foam, and then put tape around the edges of my flight stack to protect it from the wind.

You can watch your altitude in Mission Planner while you hover in stabilize. If the values make sense, then it’s ok. If your altitude reading is wrong, you need more barometer protection. Mine was showing me at -10 meters or more, until I added more foam and tape.

1 Like

done every thing can only get the throttle accel P down to 0.5 wont go any lower going away to look for more foam got a bit in there now but will do a proper job lol

Hi wicked1 really happy with the way things are going,its just getting better ,loiter,pos hold,Alt and RTL all performing nice just need more tuning,going to try recalibrating the esc’s as when put power on fast it really wowbles and yaw’s to the left.
With out being patroniseing im really so grateful for your help,thank you

Thanks, I’m happy to help. I’m just passing on information I’ve gotten from the developers and other people using Arducopter.
If you get a very good tune, post your settings.
My settings work, and get you a decently working copter. But they aren’t perfect. No where near as good as my little betaflight copter for manual flying. But then betaflight isn’t a robot and can’t do most of what arducopter can.

2 Likes

Hey guys Im having trouble with my Airbot ori 4-in-1 esc. blheli32 only sees 3 esc’s 1 tru 3 but not 4 Im guessing thats a hardware problem without a fix.Right?

1 Like

Sounds like it. I have one of the ESC’s and no problem seeing all 4 in the configurator.

1 Like

Figured that and it has to be the most expensive part on the whole build

1 Like

I don’t think I already mentioned it here…
But they sell the ori32 as a 2s ESC. It is NOT!
It stops working at 7v due to low voltage cutoff in the mosfets they use, and they cannot fix it.
I have 3 of them, and they’re all useless to me!

In airbot’s defense, they apologized and refunded me for the one I purchased directly from them.
GetFPV ignored my rma request…

1 Like

I’m on 4S. It’s too bad all the vendors, including Airbot themselves,still show it as 2S capable…

1 Like