Long range OF(Optical Flow) Suggest

Hi
I want to use optical flow sensor in my project and remove GPS from drone and I want to find long range OF.
I don’t know limitation of this sensor but I see this topic. In this topic, Chris said this sensor has no limit except altitude!
This mean if I buy long range rangefinder(for example 500m! :cold_face:) it works fine in more than 100m height???

Any suggestion for best OF sensor?

Regards

1 Like

Range 80 mm to infinity

Arkflow

PAW3903

Check with the IC manufacturer.

1 Like

The optical sensor is not the limiting factor. The lidar measurement is. For accurate position hold you must know the distance to the ground with a high enough accuracy so that the scaling for relative speed is correct.
The higher the altitude however the lower the position hold accuracy as movement across the ground is less apparent. So after as alt increases - depending on the lens of the OF your speed estimate will suffer even if your lidar measurement is spot on. Causing your position hold to not be very accurate.

So if you mainly need the OF sensor for high altitudes then I suggest getting a sensor with a more narrow FOV, so even at 200m the ground is clearly visible to the camera.

1 Like