Jumper Xiake 800 Flight Controller

Looks great. Did you break your props landing in forward flight?

Been flying mine quite a bit but I am new to arduplane.

1/ FBWA is bloody awful. Itā€™s like angle mode in INAV, which I avoid like the plague.

Itā€™s not really flying but more like making suggestions to the FC which it ignores. (I can see it would be okay if you just wanted to fly in a straight line.) Is stabilize more like INAV acro or I am looking for Arduplane Acro? I was thinking of setting switches up to go QSTAB->FBWA->Stabilise or maybe Acro as I expect going from QSTAB to Stabilise/Acro or vice versa would be suicide. What is the practical difference between Acro and Stabilise?

In short, anyone tried it out in a less restrictive forward flight mode?

2/ Using QSTAB on a windy day I found it very difficult not to go floating down wind.

Any setting changes I can make to increase my ability to fight the wind?

1 Like

Yes, correct :+1:. I got the switch wrong. I changed the setup to what I use for multi rotors and disarmed near to ground :grimacing:

Iā€™ve flown now the Xiake 4 times & did an autotune. I changed also the servo_auto_trim setting to 1. It seems that improves flight characteristics over time. Stabilized mode is definitely better than fbwa. I have somehow the feeling that the CG might be located too much to the rear. I will add a small weight before the next flight & try manual mode (Iā€™m a fixed wing noob but fly about 2 years DYI multi rotors). Letā€™s see if it stays in one piece :joy:

Here my last flight (till disarm). Jumper Xiake800 VTOL tuning #fpv #fpvdrone #vtol # - YouTube It would be great to see other peopleā€™s flights to compare.
BTW: remaining voltage in the (old) 3000mah lion pack was ~3.8 V

1 Like

Have you read and followed the tunning instructions or at least did an autotune?

If you are a bit tail heavy cant you just push the air unit forward instead of adding weight?

How have you attached the air unit to the shelf inside the fuselage? Double sided tape?

1 Like

I glued it on - a zip tie is probably also an alternative. The air unit is relatively light & needs cooling/ airflow. I will check the cg again according to the Mini Hawk project. The lion pack I used today is in addition little bit heavier Thant the Tattu 2200 mah pack. The 4000 mah lion packs that I ordered will be even heavier.
I will do a test flight with the lightest pack I have & a small front weight (fishing weights).

1 Like

Autotune discussions in this thread seem to be about fixed wing flight. My question was about hover. It is so self-levelling that trying to fight the wind to remain stationary is very limited.

Are you suggesting auto-tune will help in hover in windy conditions to fight a head wind?

2 Likes

First flight. Mainly me fighting FBWA plus keeping it close as I was having range issues with the supplied ELRS receiver.

First Flight

1500 mah. 10 minutes and landing about storage voltage. DJI OSD if you select subtitles.

1 Like

Thank you for posting & great weather! Do you have the feeling the stability is ok in fixed wing flight? (Maybe I have wrong expectations, as Iā€™m just used to fly multi rotors)

.Summer here. It was the first day it was cool enough, in the last few weeks, to stand in a field and fly. Despite how the water looked it was quite windy with strong gusts. Planes, particularly wings, are notoriously wobbly for FPV. A plane is like a boat, bobbing along on the air and a quad is like a car driving on a road. All that aside, yes it was stable enough for a wing. Most of the instability in my video was because I usually fly in manual/acro and I was giving FBWA a lot of stick movements just to get it to turn a bit more and it kept ā€œbouncingā€/self correcting back to level.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the insights! I had already the feeling that my expectations were too high.

This is a plane with vista footage ( non stabilised ) on a good day using Inav acro (air mode). This is about as smooth as it gets for me.

1 Like

You didnā€™t post a link, but I browsed already a channel :wink:. I think I found the video you mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmB-fjZ4BnI

I should mention as smooth as it gets for proximity flying.On a very calm day, if you get up high above any turbulence and just cruise straight in FBWA/Angle modeā€¦

1 Like

Maidened mine yesterday also. Sorry no video as it was a wet dismal day.

Couldnā€™t get GPS lock so rth couldnā€™t be tested.

Hover still loose, not done any tuning. Just flew los in FBWA ,a couple of transitions back to hover were a little wobbly, but that was just me getting used to it and probably not giving enough throttle.

2 Likes

Does qloiter or loiter require a compass?

Made an account just to say thank for this effort, saved my crossfire receiver from being burnt out :wink:

3 Likes

Do we have any buzzer availability with this aircraft? The tall grass is taunting me . . . .

FYI to anyone else having initial stability problems, i had to adjust the min/max servo on my right motor, wasnā€™t centring/symmetrical as the left, was visibly off 20ish degrees.

3 Likes