I Need Guidance on Fine-Tuning PID Parameters for Quadcopter Stability

Hey ArduPilot gurus,

I’m building a sweet quadcopter with ArduPilot, but its flying skills need some work. I’ve been following those tuning guides and tweaking the PID settings based on how it flies, but it’s still jittery in wind or when I push it a bit.

Here’s the lowdown:

My Quadcopter: It’s a [your quadcopter model and setup], with some extra goodies like [mention any additional hardware].
The Problem: Flies great on calm days, but gets all wobbly when it’s windy or I try some fancy moves.
Tuning Troubles: Started with the default PID settings and adjusted them based on what I found online and what others suggested, but it’s not making a huge difference.
My Struggle: It’s tough finding the right balance between those P, I, and D settings to make it fly smooth without going haywire. Also, I’m not sure how to read those flight logs everyone talks about to see what needs fixing. I also check this: https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/pid-tuning-for-heavy-quadcoptlooker
Any tips or tricks you can share on fine-tuning PIDs for a rock-solid ArduPilot quad? Maybe some specific strategies you’ve used, or how to decipher those flight logs to pinpoint what needs work?

Thanks a ton for any help you can offer!

What do you want to tell us with that?

I recommend to read and follow the How to methodically tune (almost) any multicopter guide. Download the methodic configurator, follow each step in the configurator and edit the parameters and “param changed reason” to suit your copter. Upload them to the FC one by one as you read along. The guide and configurator tell you what documentation to read, what parameters to change and overall what to do at any given time. Do not skip any steps! Anything that might seem like a shortcut will result in more work and/or a worse tuned copter in the end.

1 Like