How to methodically configure and tune any ArduCopter

Can someone give me a hand?I’m dealing with a problem.
VTOL-expo.lua failed
use cuav pixhawk v6x flight control,firmware version arducopter 4.5.1
GCS message
2024/4/26 17:35:29 : Throttle disarmed
2024/4/26 17:35:25 : RC6: MotorEStop HIGH
2024/4/26 17:35:05 : tempt to call a nil value (method ‘get_accel_ef’)
2024/4/26 17:35:05 : Internal Error: /APM/scripts/VTOL-expo.lua:188: at
2024/4/26 17:35:04 : Throttle armed
2024/4/26 17:34:59 : Expo: Must be flying to tune

Your RC “emergency stop switch” is active. Disable that arm and takeoff.
That should clear the errors.

The error occurred before takeoff, and the engine shutdown occurred after landing, preventing the ground from bouncing

Do you have a link for that Ultralight version?

1 Like

We changed the ESC, Motor and Prop for better models.

After that we followed the Blog post again, from start to finish and updated all the files.

We now got:

• roll attitude p = 36 (the maximum is 36)
  • pitch attitude p = 36 (the maximum is 36)
  • yaw attitude p = 29,6 (the maximum is 36)

And that using an aggressiveness of 0.085 (below default)

So basically optimal results with minimal effort, the software automated most of the steps.

We re-wrote section 2.16 with motor thrust stand data

1 Like

The title was confusing some users, so changed it to better reflect what this Blog post is about.

hello @amilcarlucas ,

I am using speedybeef405mini, which is included in firmware limitation . I tried temperature calibration but i don’t find INS_TCALn_enable parameter. latest firmware 4.5.2.

Then, ignore step/file 02 and 03 by pressing the skip button twice, or select 04 directly in the combobox

1 Like

thank you @amilcarlucas , do i need to enable tcal_enable? i just enabled it but i don’t saw any message related to temp calibration in message tab.

You need to use the software and follow the instructions. Most of it is automated by the software

1 Like

Really complete post, I’m in the tuning of my now quad project, very happy to find this!

However, I run a custom arducopter firmware on a betafpv AIO board that has no sd card.

How can I complete the IMU temperature calibration without it? Could I use the .bin log downloaded via mavlink? If so, should I download the latest log directly after the completion of the calibration, before powering off?

1 Like

Yes, download that file and when asked on step 03 point the software to it.

I have to say a feel a bit stupid having spent so much time on it…
Finally I found the bug, just my custom build of Arducopter that has no IMU tmp calibration available.
As I fighted to obtain a build that fit in the board and disabled the maximum of items, I missed that option. When I realized the mistake, I tried to build the same version but with IMU compensation, and it was oversized for the board. I had to switch to 4.4 to obtain a firmware that fit.

The good new is that we have a very performing 2.5 inches whoop for all piloting skils, running 15 minutes (max) under custom 2S Li-ion battery, with MTF-01 optical flow and Rangefinder, with HD Vtx (walksnail or HDzero)

We stil did not made the whole protocol of tuning, I’ll keep yu in touch!

Will post more info, thank you again for help

Thanks @amilcarlucas!

This is a great tool!

I’m not good at English, so I’ll start by saying that I use Google Translate.

The aircraft weighs over 40kg and I’m using four X11Plus.

I used the x11plus template right away, and proceeded to the setup of the harmonic notch filter before flying.

I flew with ALTHOLD, but it reacted strongly to the throttle stick, and I couldn’t control it, so I forced it to land.

I thought there might be a problem with the parameters, so I reset it to the default parameters, set it up again, and flew, but it reacted excessively to the throttle again.

Please tell me which part I should check.

I apologize for omitting the temperature calibration.

V25.zip … Ardupilot Methodic Configurator data

flight log

Looks like you used an old version of the software, please update to 0.8.1 or newer.

The 00_defaults.param was incorrect, I fixed it. the file 11_initial_atc.param was missing I added it.

The problem is that throttle is not getting properly logged, so that ArduPilot Filter Review can not read the .bin file correctly.

V25.zip (26.0 KB)

Thank you very much.
Sorry I was not aware of the new version.
I will try the latest version (0.8.3) as soon as possible.
By the way, is there anything to check about the throttle not being logged?
Should I ask my logging question in the Copter 4.5.3 forum?

ALTHOLD, but I am also concerned about the issue of not being able to get throttle data as you pointed out.
I have advanced to number 18 using Methodic Configurator 0.8.3 and have flown it, but the Filter review tool gives me an error that there is no throttle data.
Sorry to be so criminal, but I am using notch filtering by throttle instead of ESC telemetry, and in that case, is there different log data that I should be getting?
Please let me know if there is anything I should check.
Thank you in advance.
Methodic Configurator data:

Flight log data:

I tried ALTHOLD since I was there, but it still rises dynamically and is very scary.
Even more so since we are making the flight in a small warehouse…
Flight log data:

Use MethodicConfigurator/QUICKSTART.md at master · ArduPilot/MethodicConfigurator · GitHub and load this directory:
V25.zip (38.6 KB)

In the component editor correct the Frame Take-off weight (TOW) min and max

In the parameter editor select file 14 in the combobox and upload it

Then try to fly again, I think you MOT_TRST_EXPO parameter might be wrong

2 Likes