How to connect Spektrum SPM4650 (SRXL2) to Matek H743-Slim?

Hi Guys:
ArduPilot Newbee here…

Has anyone been successful in connecting a Spektrum SPM4650 (SRXL2) Telemetry Receiver to a Matek H743-Slim flight controller? I have been trying to do that for a rebuild of my Diatone Tyrant quadcopter. I cannot calibrate my Spektrum DX6 transmitter in Mission Planner because I do not see the green bars on the screen.

If you’ve been able to do this, could you please advise how you SPECIFICALLY wired the two together, and EXACTLY what parms you modified in Mission Planner?

This is my second thread on this subject. I read everything I could find about the installation, and tried a number of great suggestions made in my first thread, but nothing worked. Details here…

Any specific info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Best Regards,
Dennis

Hi Guys:
I’m still searching for a solution. I cannot calibrate my Spektrum DX6 transmitter in Mission Planner because the green bars do not show up. If anyone has been able to connect a Spektrum SPM4650 (SRXL2) Telemetry Receiver to a Matek H743-Slim flight controller, please advise how you wired it, and what parms you modified in Mission Planner. I’ve read everything I could find on the subject, and have had some great suggestions, but this setup just refuses to work. I’m probably overlooking something simple, but as an ArduPilot newbie, I don’t know what to try next. I also posted this on the ‘RCGroups’ forum. If someone over there hits on the solution, I’ll be sure to post it here to help the next guy with this Rc/FC combo.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Dennis

Hi, I seem to have a similar problem…

I am trying to connect a FC Matek H743-Wing to a Spektrum receiver SPM4651T using SRXL2.
The receiver binds to my transmitter, but no obvious communication between FC and Receiver.

Does Arduplane (4.0.9) support SRXL2 on this FC?
What SERIAL_ parameter settings should I use?
Which UART/USART (Mission Planner Index please) shall I use?
Rx or Tx-pin?

These are the settings used:
Serial7_BAUD = 115
SERIAL7_OPTIONS = 4
SERIAL7_PROTOCOL = 23
RSSI_TYPE = 3
Rx6-pin on FC

-S

I got the SPM4650 working with these settings and S wire from the receiver connected to the Tx pin on the FC.

By working, I mean joysticks and several switches work in Radio Calibration tab and I’ve got telemetry data on my DX9.

Not quite ready for first flight…

Switches B, C, F, G & H appear to have no effect at this time.

Using ArduCopter V4.1.0-beta4

Tom

Thanks for info, I have exactly the same experience, but with iX12 and ArduPlane V4.1 Beta.

Stefan

Hi Guys:
!!!SUCCESS!!!

Had to step away from this for awhile… WAY too many priorities. For the last few days, I’ve re-read everything I could find about connecting my Spektrum SPM4650 (DSMX/SRXL2) receiver to my Matek H743-Slim autopilot. I applied everything I’ve learned, and was finally able to see the ‘Radio Calibration’ green bars for my Spektrum DX6 Radio!

Many thanks to all of you who have offered valuable suggestions. Without you, I’d be nowhere.

To accomplish this, I decided to start from scratch. I can’t stress enough… reboot Mission Planner, Rx, Tx, FC, and GPS/compass often! If you make ANY changes, reboot or you may get false results! Here’s what worked for me…

• Connected the SINGLE SRXL2 signal wire from my Rx to the Tx6 (Serial7) pad. For telemetry to work, must use the Tx pad.
  • Installed latest Spektrum v2.44 SPM4650 Rx firmware.
  • Installed latest Spektrum v2.08 DX6 Tx firmware.
  • Installed latest v1.3.75 Mission Planner.
  • Installed latest STM32 Cube Programmer (used to flash my H743 autopilot with Arducopter/Matek H743 firmware).
  • Using STM32 Cube Programmer, I did a full ‘Chip Erase’, then Flashed latest v4.1.1 Arducopter/Matek H743 firmware.
  • MP > Setup tab > Mandatory Hardware > Frame Type (‘X’ for my Diatone Tyrant).
  • MP > Setup tab > Mandatory Hardware > Accel Calibration (worked fine).
  • MP > Setup Tab > Mandatory Hardware > Compass (if this never completes, first hit the ‘Large Vehicle MagCal’ button, point your copter south, enter ‘180’, then run the calibration again).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > BRD_ALT = 0 (no need to use ‘1’ unless you MUST use the Rx6 pad on the FC).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > RC_PROTOCOLS = 257 (specifies that the Rx is using SRXL2 to speak to the FC).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > RSSI_TYPE = 3 (specifies that this is a receiver).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > SERIAL7_BAUD = 115 (115,000 baud).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > SERIAL7_PROTOCOL = 23 (Rx input).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > SERIAL7_OPTIONS = 4 (half duplex on single signal wire).
  • MP > Config tab > Full Parameter LIST > ***** WRITE PARAMS button, upper right *****
  • REBOOT EVERYTHING, power on TX, Rx, FC, GPS/compass, and CONFIRM Rx/Tx BIND (my SPM4650 Rx has a solid red LED)
  • MP > Setup Tab > Mandatory Hardware > Radio Calibration > !!!SUCCESS!!! (green bars show on screen!).

Hopefully, this will help any of you with the same or similar hardware.

Best Regards,
Dennis