Help build baitboat with GPS and waypoints

Hello everyone, I want to build a primer boat with the 3D printer. The complicated thing is that I don’t know how to ensure that the transmitter saves the GPS points that interest me (once I have taken the boat there) and that I can then automatically go to that point.

What components do I need? can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Its a bit niche, bait boats use one hand single stick controls so u can hold the ros in the other, id recommended just buying a purpose built bait boat, its not really an ideal application for autonomous rover, if you have a laptop setup you can upload waypoints from the map etc and create a mission but in the end it will be easier to just get a proper bait boat

That’s not that complicated. You can save Waypoints when you reach them driving manually and then run those Waypoints in an Auto Mission later.

Thank you very much for your response and sorry for my English (I use a translator).

I would like to be able to use a Flysky i6x or similar transmitter and be able to save the waypoints from it.

That is, I would take the boat manually to the area that interests me and with the Flysky by pressing a key I would save that point. Not need a map…

Later with another press, the vehicle should be able to get there on its own and be able to return home (it would be another waypoint)

Is this possible to do? What would I need?

Sure, easily done. Here is the reference info for Save Waypoint Recording Waypoints
You will really want a Ground Station to manage the Mission but it could be done w/o one. After recording all the WP’s you want, including a Home Waypoint if you are not using an RTL command, Switch to Auto Mode will start the Mission with those points.

I don’t need a mission planner, not tablet or phone… I simply place it at the point that interests me and I want it to save it and go to it later. It should be possible to save several points and only go to the one that interests me, for example if I have 4 points saved, I would only need to go to one to return home to recharge the bait and then go to another…

I’m new to this, could you tell me what hardware I need please?

On the other hand, I think that in the Flysky i6x transmitter I have to change the firmware to openTX, I don’t know for sure, I’m seeing a lot of information and at first it’s confusing…

Thanks very much for you time.

To do that you will need a ground station to edit the Mission Waypoints you saved.

You need a Flight Controller, a GPS Module and an RC System. The cheap Flysky stuff you mentioned will work but it certainly won’t run OpenTx or EdgeTx (successor to OpenTx). I would suggest something better like one of the Radiomaster models. Boy one ready to go with ELRS and buy a ELRS Reciever.

Sorry but I don’t understand the part of the ground station to edit the waypoints. I don’t need to edit them (other than deleting them when the fishing day is over, I could delete them when I get home)

I just need to save them from the emitter and have it go to one of the points.

This is what I need (not the marine probe part)

What flight controller do you recommend?

Ardurover won’t do that.

How much do you want to spend and how are your soldering skills?

Sorry but I don’t understand, in your first post you told me it was easy…

Spend as little as possible, I can do welding. :slight_smile:

Thanks

It’s easy to Record waypoints sequentially and then run that Mission hitting all the waypoints. There is no easy way to select one out of the list and go to it. That functionality you are talking about is from a Controller not running Ardupilot.

Matek H743-WLITE

It wouldn’t be terribly difficult to craft a simple Lua script to iterate through saved waypoints via an RC switch and then selectively clear the current mission on another switch. The WLITE would support that.

1 Like

with Mission Planner on a table or phone if it can be done right? What do you think of the Omnibus F4 Pro?

Can you explain me?

Thanks

Junk. And it won’t run Lua scripting as @Yuri_Rage is suggesting.

You need to raise your game to do what you want to do with the bait boat.

summarizing. What I want to do would be possible with WLITE and a lua script, and I wouldn’t need a ground base with Mission Planner, am I right?

Which transmitter would offer me the possibility of selecting a saved GPS point and directing the boat there as in the video shown above?

And any similar option that is not so difficult to solder? I’ve seen it and it’s a higher level for me, I didn’t think it was that much…

Thank you so much.

You have things summarized fairly well, but your project needs are rapidly increasing your budget, I think.

If you want a scripting capable autopilot that requires minimal soldering, the price point goes up. Look at the QioTek ZealotH743.

If you want to forego a computer running GCS software and operate solely with an RC transmitter, you’ll want one that can display some information (see Yaapu telemetry). The Radiomaster TX16S fits that description quite well. While cheaper options may be available, I wouldn’t recommend them for the use case you’ve presented, and the TX16S is the least expensive radio of which I’m aware that supports the feature set you’re going to want.

Waypoints can be recorded using the Save Waypoint RC option. While it isn’t included on the documentation page, all waypoints can be cleared by toggling the assigned RC channel while the autopilot is disarmed.

The “advance-wp” script from the first post in this discussion can be used to cycle waypoints. For your use, it should probably be modified a little to include a message that indicates which waypoint is selected along with a feature to recycle to the first waypoint index if it can no longer advance forward.

1 Like

Couldn’t this be done with pixhawk 4? It catches my attention that the cheap boat that I bought (flytec) for about $100 has all those functions… what happens is that it is small and works at 7v so it barely has any power… I don’t understand why something similar doesn’t exist in a free environment.

As for telemetry, I practically don’t need anything, just how far it is from me (home) and the possibility of choosing which point I want it to go to.

The Pixhawk 4 (if you’re talking about the one marketed by Holybro) runs an F4 processor, which is almost always problematic when attempting to run the Lua engine. The only link I can find to buy one shows it $50 USD more expensive than the more capable ZealotH743 that I recommended earlier.

Whether you need one value or 100, the only way to get the information you desire is over a passthrough telemetry link that is fairly robust.

If you already have a $100 boat that has all these functions, then use it. We are trying to show you the path of least resistance and lowest REASONABLE budget for ArduPilot.

EOL