Fighter VTOL 4+1 fixed wing

In that case u can set Q_VFWD_ALT =5m or more and front motor will stop once the vtol started sinking blow m so motor will not power and propeller will not sink in the ground.

1 Like

October started with a nice day so I brought my Fighter 4+1 VTOL to the field for some last flights before the snow flies. It still works well and the design allows me to handle it more easily with the disconnecting parts and box transport.

Here are a few photos from yesterday. I thought I had a video as well but the guy on the camera forgot to take off the lens cover. You just can’t get good help these days! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Uhu por is available in Spain. I’m not a fan of epoxy on foamies as most are stiff and foam flexes allowing the joint to separate.

The T-Motor AT4120/250 KV motors ordered from Banggood arrived today.

I am still waiting for the EMAX ES3054 servos recommended by MSE.

As flightcontroller I have a Mateksys H746 in mind, whose power supply will be connected to 6s. The current measurement of the motors at 12s should be done by a Mauch sensor.

Rolf

3 Likes

Did a couple of short mapping flights today take of weight was 11.6Kg updated to 4.1.0 stable release the hover is better than it has ever been and the transitions are super smooth, there is an odd behavior in yaw that I need to take a look at where it seems to accelerate rather than being linear I noticed it after the update

3 Likes

Jed,

I like your color scheme. It really dresses up the white base.

Thanks for the logs.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Have you figured out 12s propulsion system? Sry for asking so late

It’s 2 x 22000mAh 6s in series so 12s there is another camera in front of the batteries

3 Likes

Hi Greg,
This might have been posted before, but what Arduplane firmware version is recommended by MFE for use with their params for the Fighter VTOL? What firmware version did you use with your Fighter VTOL?

1 Like

Jed,

Your Fighter looks well packed. I’ll bet you get some serious flight time with your 12s 22AH setup!

Jose,

Normal APM Plane firmware and Mission Planner work just fine on this model. I’m using Arduplane version 4.0.5 (0bfa2638)

Cheers!

1 Like

Greg,

Do you think Arduplane version 4.1 would work ok with the MFE params for the Fighter and the Striver?

1 Like

Hi Greg

We can easily get 2 hours with plenty to spare even with a full payload at 19 m/s its pulling about 6.5A this one has the new power brick in it, it makes wiring nice and simple

Jed

1 Like

Yes. I’m starting with v4.1.1 on my Striver. Once I test a plane, I don’t usually update the firmware unless I see a problem. When I do update firmware, maybe once a year, I tend to test out everything again…within reason.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Jed,

Just wondering if you can let me know the details of the 22,000 mAh batteries that you are using? Lipo or Li-Ion? C rating?

That’s a very impressive flight time too…Have you set this one up with the same motor/prop combo as the Fighter in your earlier post?

Any other photos that you can share?

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jeff

They are Tattu 22000 mAh 30c Lipo’s

I get mine from Ben at 3DXR

Thanks for the info Jed,

It seems like this combo is giving you very good results and plenty of air time.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Jed

I was thinking of covering my fighter with Hanger9 - Ultracote Lite (iron-on)

What covering have you used on your fighter? Have you covered the whole aircraft?

I suppose it gives a fair bit of protection and gives the structure more stiffness. Looks great too!

Cheers

Jeff

Just wondering if anyone here has tried to use the 22,000mAh Solid State Li-Ion 5C from Foxtech (or similar), as a single battery solution as 6S or 2x in parallel as 12S, for the combined VTOL and Cruise application? The numbers seem to work, but I’m not sure if there is enough of a comfortable margin in it for the practical application of this?

Hi Jeff

Its laminating film the same as used for paper laminating

Cube carrier board designed for VTOL Herelink + RFD868 on the bottom integrated current sensor and 3 aux power outputs 2 x 5v 1 x 12v its had 5 flawless flights so far :+1: just need to do a few endurance tests

4 Likes