Fighter VTOL 4+1 fixed wing

Unfortunately, the engines have not been shipped from the MFE store.
MFE told me via Aliexpress that due to the “pandemic situation” they only ship by expensive air freight to the euopean union.
It’s not worth it price-wise, I will therefore look for other motors.

1 Like

Hello @GregCovey,
Hope you are fine…Just to share my experience using the new Matex M9N gps with Can bus. I only get maximum 16 sats., while my Cuav Nero pro (and also the Holybro Pixhawk 4gps) can get up to 30 sats. (I use dual gps system)… I am a bit disappointed with Matek M9N performance . I think Cuav Neo pro with Compass RM3100 is excellent… Have you tried the other M9N from GNSS store?

1 Like

Hi Tony,

The NEO-M9N chip has an issue with only allowing 16 satellites if the update rate is greater than 5Hz. This is a limitation of the NEO-M9N chip and not the Matek M9N GPS module. If you keep the rate set to the normal 5Hz then it will work.

No, I haven’t transitioned to my winter mode yet of ordering new stuff to play with. My interest in the NEO-M9N from the GNSS Store is in the size of the multi-band patch antennas for larger VTOLs. They are clearly larger than the 25x25.4mm patch antenna in the Matek M9N-5883. The 25x25.4mm patch antenna works just fine in the U.S. and seems appropriate for smaller models.

Do you know what the patch antenna size is inside the CUAV antennas?

Cheers and thanks!

1 Like

Hi @GregCovey,
I have checked the parameter setting of my Matek M9N is 5Hz which is default setting and I did not change it. So with 5Hz I got only 16 sats max. About Cuav Neo3 Pro, I am sorry, I have not got the antenna size yet… But ii is a bit smaller than the Here3 Gps… It is a bit bigger than Holybro Pixhawk 4 Gps. BTW, Holybro Pixhawk4 GPS is also very good. I got more than 25 sats, while Matek M9N only got 16 sats at exactly same condition…
Regards,

Due to the shipping problems of MSE motors from China to the European Union, I looked around for 170kv 12s quad propulsion motors available here and came across the 170kv T-Motor MN601S, which I have now ordered from a dealer in Spain who has them in stock.

I have ordered my Fighter and am looking at going with KDE motors and KDECAN esc’s (don’t look at the price). Since I don’t have the kit yet can anybody please confirm 21.5" props for VTOL will work/fit - Hover thrust 13.6Kg. I will be running a Parallel 6v system with multiple redundancies. On the front plan to run either T-motor AT4120 KV500 with 16/12 prop or AT4130 KV 450 with 17/10 prop (Over Kill?).

Steve

1 Like

21.5 inches are only 1.8 cm more radius compared to the standard 20 inch props. I’ll measure tomorrow evening.

My T-motor kit (601-X = MN601-S / Alpha 60 A HV / MF2009 ) arrived well packaged and fits perfectly out of the box on the 2.5 cm diameter MSE arm.

Now I am thinking about the propulsion motor.

Cheers
Rolf

1 Like

Hi Rolf,

It looks great! What was the cost of the T-motor kit?

Cheers!

Hi Greg,

I bought the kit from this store in Spain: https://rc-innovations.es/tmotor-arm-pack-601-s-170kv-alpha-60a-hv-mf2009
Shipping within 4 days within the European Union has been free at this price. But the 19% tax in EU countries was of course added.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks Rolf,
Since my post recieved an email saying they cannot ship it…it was a free shipping purchase, unfortunately no suprise here, that has happened twice to me now.

Take care

Steve

1 Like

Hello @Rolf ,
Your configuration looks great… Have you decided what Forward motor and prop. to use? I am curious to know the performance.
Regards

Hi @ton999 Tony,

From the data I am considering taking the T-motor AT4120 250KV with 16x8 APC prop. But I’m not sure yet
AT4120 Long Shaft_AT Series_Motors_Fixed Wing_T-MOTOR Store-Official Store for T-motor drone motor,ESC,Propeller

1 Like

So you need two of these 2x kits for $570euro each? That’s $1334 usd! It reminds me of the DJI motor/ESC/prop combo packs I used on my S900 hexacopter and Freeman VTOL only much more expensive.

It is a beautiful solution, just too expensive for hobby use.

Cheers!

Hi @Christian_H ,
Thank you for sharing your photos, your build is awesome.
Hi @GregCovey and gentlemen here, could you suggest the best way to glue this plastic servo linkage to the aileron (Epo). I usually use hot glue, but some times it is u reliable like this photo. There is no gorilla glue in my country, so I plan to use epoxy to make it really fixed , any suggestions ? Thank you…

1 Like

Hi Tony,

That doesn’t look like an MFE design so I’ll assume it is another plane.

I use Beacon Foam Tac under and over the plastic tabs so that it helps distribute the load off to the foam sides. Epoxy will also work but it yellows over time.

Cheers!

Thank you Greg, yes you are right… Sorry I forgot to mention that I want to build my MFE Fighter soon and I don’t want to have same problem as in the photo, that is my Talon Vtol…
But I don’t have Beacon Foam Tac in my country, so maybe I will use epoxy instead.
Regards,

Tony,

I’m not sure where you are but UHU POR is also very good.

On the MFE designs, the control horns are assembled from both sides (near a carbon spar) so they are very robust.

Hi Steven,
hopefully, the shipping crisis will be over at some point. It may still be of interest to see how far the rear propellers overlap the wing edge.

The stock 20 inches already slightly overlap the wing.

Rolf

1 Like

Thanks Rolf,
I’ll probably go with a KDE matched set in 18.5

Take care

Steve

1 Like

I run a set of 20x6.8 lift props on T-Motor 6007’s with a 19x10 front 20” is the max I can go it’s very efficient

3 Likes