E-flite Convergence Using Matek F405 Wing

I don’t use QACRO mode. Let me try to set it live…

My Q_TILT_MAX is set to 55 degrees.

you should also see the motors tilt when armed in QSTABILIZE
Just keep the throttle at zero to avoid spinning the props

Be careful at large tilt angles. At some point you might begin to lose stability; I haven’t tested beyond q_tilt_max=25 yet, but it should be OK at least to 45

QACRO mode doesn’t show up in the “Set Mode” list in Mission Planner v1.3.68 :frowning:

oh :frowning:
I thought that had been in master for a while now
It’s FLTMODE 23 if you want to set it manually
But you can just arm in QSTABILIZE to test instead
Are you sure channel 13 is showing up correctly? I’m using channel 8

No luck. I had it armed in QSTABILIZE mode (just like at the field) and the motors don’t rotate.

Q_TILT_MAX is now set to 45 degrees.
Q_SPD_BIAS_CH is set to 13
I can see Ch. 13 moving from below 1000 to above 2000 on the Radio Cal. screen.
v3.10.0-dev (12dbb444) ChibiOS

If you’ll post a log I’ll try to figure out what’s wrong

Ok, logs coming…

Mark,

Here are my logs from the testing. Log1 is the larger one from my flight this morning. Log2 is from the home test armed in QSTABILIZE mode.

Log1 (17meg)
Log2 (1meg)

Thanks…

So far, I can’t find any relevant difference in parameters between your log and mine, but I can see that my tilt channels respond to the bias input, while yours don’t.
I have tilt servos on channels 1,3 and you have them on 5,6

I’m also running the same version on my Convergence (PixRacer FC) and everything works as expected live on the bench. I can’t think of any reason why this should behave differently on the Matek controller though; any ideas?

Weird. I can try changing my Q_SPD_BIAS_CH from 13 to 8. At least it will be one step closer to your setup.

Channel 8 gets messy because that’s my Flight Mode channel…which was standard for Plane.

Mark,

I tried channel 10 allowing the Taranis to send the left lever to both channels 10 and 13. I could see them both move in Mission Planner and changed Q_SPD_BIAS_CH from 13 to 10. Rebooted. Armed in QSTABILIZE, I had no offset when moving the slider.

Sorry I couldn’t test it for you. Maybe something else will come up…

Cheers!

Thanks for trying. I’ll keep looking for the problem.

@GregCovey Sorry, I had forgotten a critical parameter.
Try setting Q_VFWD_GAIN to .05
In QHOVER mode, it sets the gain of the velocity controller, but I hadn’t noticed that if zero it disables the tilt bias code completely.

Ok, thanks, I’ll give it a try tomorrow.

Cheers!

Mark,

Setting Q_VFWD_GAIN to 0.05 did the trick! I could cruise around in QSTABILIZE or QHOVER modes and use yaw to turn. It was kind of like steering a boat in water. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if there was some hysteresis when changing speed or if the wind was playing tricks on me. I need to change my Q_TILT_MAX from 45 degrees down to your 25 degrees as full left lever got it going too fast. I’ll spend some more time with it because it was fun to tool around the field like an air bus and then switch to FBWA mode. Nice mod!

Glad it’s working for you now, and thanks again for testing.
I’ll probably need to add a new parameter for the max bias since Q_TILT_MAX is actually intended to control forward transitions.
Also need to remove the dependence on Q_VFWD_GAIN at least for QACRO and QSTABILIZE.
Have you installed an airspeed sensor yet?

No AS sensor for me. My transitions seem fine and the flights are too short to really see a benefit from an AS sensor. However, your forward bias feature (needs a name) does add to the fun factor. :slight_smile:

Does it transition ok with Q_TILT_MAX set to 25 degrees?

I’m pretty sure I saw a slow forward transition with Q_TILT_MAX set to 25 degrees, but I couldn’t find it in my logs. Of course, the presence of an airspeed sensor will affect that behavior since it is using a different estimate of airspeed in that case.

I’ll modify the PR to use a separate parameter for the tilt limit today.

Name suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My imagination seems to be quite limited in that respect :slight_smile: