E-flite Convergence Using Matek F405 Wing

Hi Greg, I’m having the exact same problem, did you find out what caused this issue?

Shef

No, I simply reverted back to my original firmware and it never happened again. It’s not the kind of issue I wanted to deal with since the Convergence can move out quickly.

Huh, what firmware version works for you?

The motor cutout issue I had was when using Mark’s Forward Bias feature from the V3.10.0-dev (a141bf4f) build. I switched back to the released v3.9.9 firmware and the Convergence continues to fly fine.

Cheers!

The “VTOL forward throttle” feature went into master in July 2020. This is the upcoming wiki info: https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-future-wiki-changes.html?highlight=future#manual-forward-throttle-in-vtol-modes

I was never able to reproduce Greg’s motor issues with my F405-Wing Convergence.

Thanks, Mark.

It sounds like Shef has seen the issue using normal release software…but I am not certain until he reports back.

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the information Greg, have a good one.

Shef

Right, well I only experience the issue when using FBWA. Like I said, my dual motor plank just yaws out of control. Not bad esc calibration, identical motors and props, flys perfect in QStabilize and Qacro.

It’s not essential I figure out why it does it since I have q Stabilize or Qacro to mimic forward flight. But if anyone has any clue, id like to hear it.

Shef

That would imply that FBWA can’t use differential thrust for yaw stabilization. I’ll take a look at the code when I get a chance.

What firmware release are you using?

My issue was also only in FBWA mode. I felt that the yawing out of control was simply due to the front motors stopping in flight. The elevon servos still worked fine when I retrieved the plane. A re-boot fixed the issue.

It could simply have been bad timing that I saw it when I was testing Mark’s new feature. I can’t wait to fly it again this summer. I’ll bring it out with my new XK X450.

Yeah I’ve been asking around about if its possible-even created a new topic about it. No response yet. In the wiki FBWA is described as having fully manual throttle. But I did read here : Differential thrust plank flying wing

That maybe some stabilization can be achieved.

Shef

My elevons work just fine too in fbwa, however no amount of rebooting solved the issue.

In using the latest stable plane firmware: 4.09 I believe

So it sounds like your issue is not exactly like mine. Maybe you can try the v3.9.9 firmware that I am using.

When you transition from copter mode into FBWA mode, does it fly at all? or do you immediately lose front motor control?

Hello Greg!

When I transition to FBWA I can see it attempt to stabilize in roll and pitch but since yaw is totally manual and since I’m not fast enough to correct it- it goes down. I believe my motors are slightly overpowered and that the small differences between them are enough to produce that uncontrollable yawing.

But! With Tridge and Jean-Philipes help, I now have zeroed in on the parameters that need to be changed to enable differential thrust yaw stabilization in FBWA. They are:

KFF-RDDRMIX : 0 WAS .2
YAW2SRV-SLIP : 0 WAS 0
YAW2SRV-DAMP : .08 WAS 0 (.08 is suggested)
RUDD-DT-GAIN : 100 WAS 10

Now I can observe yaw stabilizing outputs to motor left and motor right in FBWA, so it should be manageable with some tuning when I do my first test flight with the changes. Did you know of these essential changes? Perhaps when you upgraded firmwares it erased your changes leaving you with differential thrust yaw stabilization disabled?

Shef,

Thanks for the update. Feel free to post a .bin file if you want us to look at it.

Cheers!

Hello, this is Nobu.
I want to try x450 with Ardupilot too.
I ordered it, and now shipping from overseas.
Please share the x450 information.
Thank you.

Hi Nobu,

You may want to look at the thread below for X450 information. This thread is for the E-flite Convergence. Granted they are similar.

I am keeping my XK X450 stock as it flies super and has some interesting features. No need to add autonomous flight in my opinion.

WLTOYS HK450 as ARDUPLANE VTOL

Cheers!

Thanks you for your information.
I’ll check the E-flite Convergence discuss and the URL you send.
Best regards.

Good day! Dear GregCovey, tell me - Where is your Convergence parameter file, which is stable today. I want to try to fly my DIY plane into the sky. Sorry for google translation)))

Will your settings fit my 800mm size?

[image]

I am trying to make a VTOL tricopter as well but I am using the f765wse. I am having issues with the motors, in servo setup I have them labeled as motor _ but the throttle isn’t effecting them.