E-flite Convergence Using Matek F405 Wing

I’m trying to add an F405 Wing to my convergence. I loaded gregs Convergence4normal.params file, but in QSTABLIZE the ailerons work, but elevator input moves the control surfaces not the tilts, and yaw seems to do nothing. I have checked the servo settings many times, the tilt_type and mask are set for vectoredyaw and 3. What am I missing?

Hi David,

This is correct. It is the Flight Mode that determines if the tilt rotors are up or forward.

Cheers!

in qhover shouldn’t the elevator tilt the motors forward and back, and yaw tilt them in opposite directions? FWBA does tilt them forward, but elevons are useless in MR mode. I’m using version 4.10 dev . In MR mode does Arduplane treat the plane like a normal tri-rotor or quad, using only motor speeds for control? That is not the same as the e-filte controller at all. And it contradicts using vectored thrust for yaw in MR mode.

After arming , in QSTABILIZE, I do get opposite tilting with yaw input. No tilting if I apply elevator. The elevons respond to any movement of the plane, going to full deflection in the opposite direction of the movement. Is that normal? It seems like a lot of control travel for a minor change.

I can not get passthru telemetry working either. I have made 5 passthru cables using MAX232’s, checked every serial port, but no sensor data ever works. Is there a good way to check that it’s work without an OScope? I can borrow one from work but it will be a few days before I go to the office.

I’m nervous about testing MR mode with the controls not working the way the stock eflite flight controller did.

I should mention that I had problems loading Greg’s params file into QGroundControl’s latest version, but it worked in APM2 and I believe mission planner also. The file format for params changed sometime recently. Save a stock parameter file and use any text editor to see the format. Maybe Greg will be nice enough to save a new .param file from QGroundControl .

I have been enjoying this thread and it motivated me to try to convert a Convergence to run on the new Cube Purple. I was wondering if anyone has run their Convergence with the new Arduplane 4.0 firmware? I am having an odd problem where moving the rc controls doesn’t move the proper control surfaces. Its not as simple as the servos are plugged into the wrong channel.

WOW! A lot of good info here. A bit overwhelming in fact, lol. I am printing parts now for a Nano Skyhunter VTOL project using the F405 wing. This is the only thread I have found using this board doing VTOL. Hoping this is an active thread because I am going to have questions.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the APM forums!

Both Mark W. and Henry W. are experts in the F405-Wing so feel free to ask away. You could even start your own thread on your Nano Skyhunter VTOL project. It sounds very interesting!

Good luck!

1 Like

Good afternoon.
is VTOL TAILSITTER possible with the Matek F405 Wing?

Even if it was a quad tailsitter the -Wing boards would be fine. Look at the H743-Wing instead unless you already have the board.

Hi Dave,
yes i already have Matek F405 Wing board,
I wonder if she would behave properly in tailsitter?

Hi Greg, I’m having the exact same problem, did you find out what caused this issue?

Shef

No, I simply reverted back to my original firmware and it never happened again. It’s not the kind of issue I wanted to deal with since the Convergence can move out quickly.

Huh, what firmware version works for you?

The motor cutout issue I had was when using Mark’s Forward Bias feature from the V3.10.0-dev (a141bf4f) build. I switched back to the released v3.9.9 firmware and the Convergence continues to fly fine.

Cheers!

The “VTOL forward throttle” feature went into master in July 2020. This is the upcoming wiki info: https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-future-wiki-changes.html?highlight=future#manual-forward-throttle-in-vtol-modes

I was never able to reproduce Greg’s motor issues with my F405-Wing Convergence.

Thanks, Mark.

It sounds like Shef has seen the issue using normal release software…but I am not certain until he reports back.

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the information Greg, have a good one.

Shef

Right, well I only experience the issue when using FBWA. Like I said, my dual motor plank just yaws out of control. Not bad esc calibration, identical motors and props, flys perfect in QStabilize and Qacro.

It’s not essential I figure out why it does it since I have q Stabilize or Qacro to mimic forward flight. But if anyone has any clue, id like to hear it.

Shef

That would imply that FBWA can’t use differential thrust for yaw stabilization. I’ll take a look at the code when I get a chance.