Dual-motor tailsitters

I rebuild the Skywalker as a Tilt Tri VTOL as long ago now with the actual FW 4.4.2
But now the ESC Telemetry Data no more are to see in the Log or MissionPlanner connected via USB.
I use the same BLHeli32 Params as with FW V3.9.8 and/or recommended in the Wiki and the same FC Pixhawk 1.
And tried 2 different ESC Products, Serial5 and Serial4
At the Serial Inputs the Signal is to see with a Oscilloscope.
The Motor is reacting normally, and the ESC can be configured with BLHeliSuit32 V 32.8.1.2
This are my ESCā€™s:

Here my Params:
After configuring BLHeli32.param (19.5 KB)

Has anyone an idea what has changed in the meantime or where to read more about BLHeli32

@andypiper I think I saw something about issues with the Tekko in the past and that you were involvedā€¦

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I forgott, the Tekko shows No signal at the Tele Output.
I tried to load a new FW but it did not work.
Therefore I tested the old single ESC and this shows a rectangular stream of 3.5 V.

Edit:
It is the 4in1 TMotor ESC with Firmware Heli 3.8 which has no signal on the Telemetry Out.
And in the specs. nowhere is described it has Telemetry. There is a pin of the connctor marked
ā€œTeleā€ on the board only. So I assumed it has Telemetry.
In the meantime the Telemetry works with the Tecco 32 F4 but NOT the TMotor Velox.

SERVO_BLH_MASK,1792
SERVO_BLH_OTYPE,0

This means you are using PWM - no ESC telemetry with PWM

Ups, can you explain what would be correct for Telemetryā€™

@andyp1per should we put a note on the BLHeli page that ESC telemetry only works if the ESC is being addressed in DShot modes?

Yes I think so. People have reported it working in 4.0, but I donā€™t really see how.

Sorry, really not familiar enough with this config to guide you - perhaps @hwurzburg can help?

I think you just need to zero out the SERVO_BLH_MASK and use SERVO_BLH_AUTO=1 and motor 1 (function 33), 2 (func 34), and 4 (func 36) will be set with Q_M_PWM_TYPE and use one of the DShot settingsā€¦SERIAL4 looks to be setup for ESC telemā€¦

ps I have never used ESC telem myselfā€¦just going by what the wiki saysā€¦and ESC telem is under the BLHeli section of the wikiā€¦

@hwurzburg
Serial4 is now instead of 5 because I supposed 5 as defectiv.

I tried Auto=1, Mask=0, Q_PWM_TYPE=4 (DShot150), Servo_BLH_OTYPE=4(DShot150)
It wonā€™t work. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

But with FW 3.9.10 it worked with the same Params, Pixhawk and ESC until I changed to Tailsitter with newer FW.
The reason to get Telemetry is because I want to know the temperature of the ESC. I remarked they become verry hot when installed in a fuselage even when charged with 25% of the indicated Current. Mostly the actual ESCā€™s are used for Quad where they are cooled by Props around it.

As next I will step back to 3.9.10 with old Params to reproduce the ā€œsuccessā€

A Question:
When I want to install the FW with ā€œAll optionsā€ I found Versions wiht the Ending with_BLH.HEX
is this Options needed to get the Telemetry and how to install?
When selecting the .HEX File I got a large error message.

Either set Q_PWM_TYPE or set SERVO_BLH_OTYPE but donā€™t set both

Sitting Bull is only one Betatester; thanks to the developers for your great work.

3 Likes

Small quadcopter follow shot, very cool

Today I ran into a problem that popped up and I didnā€™t even move any parameters. When I enter FBWA from QH, the planeā€™s YAW axis will rotate about 90 degrees to the left, I donā€™t know what happened

Hi all. I converted a nano drak to TVBS and itā€™s working alright except descent from altitude in qstabilize is proving tricky. It seems to lose stabilization in the prop wash. Is this a known issue or something that can be tuned? See video and log file below. Problem occurs after transition back from forward flight.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fWskZ9PNkTYAOhszqyBro5Sy1Jfm-Yd7/view?fbclid=IwAR2JAGHD9ywgEE9uqUnXxLmS5Lj2GOI3ofOZ8F1BFNGltsByROoU8xQ4A1k&mibextid=CNobwR&fs=e&s=cl

Thanks for any help!

Did yours have a similar issue to my nano drak?

hope you were using the ā€œflareā€ switch option! that gets the motors out of the dirt on TVBS fixed wing landings!

descents are always an issue for tailsittersā€¦no matter how well tuned, too fast a descent will usually be unstable in VTOLā€¦ get a good VTOL tune and be sure the descent speeds for QLOITER/QHOVER are low enough

Hi Appelm, and great job :slightly_smiling_face:

I confirm precisions of the @hwurzburg , and about the flight modes, after check, you use Q_Stabilize, try QLOITER/QHOVER

About tune sequency, you can see @Satoru_Sasaki post :

Can U add more precisons, like photos , type of the AP, servos ?

What is the weight of the wing ?

Regards

I have since added the landing flare switch! I didnā€™t expect to have to use it but it would have saved me some bent linkage and a broken servo horn. All easily repaired but I was done flying after that ā€œlandingā€!

Looks like I need to work on the tune some more. Qstabilize is smooth but itā€™s not well tuned in qloiter.

AUW is 1275g. Hereā€™s another photo of it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/139Eyb4uHUIl5A3qFF4EpSoTl6LHGL3ZH/view?usp=drivesdk

Servos are kst ds215mg.

Your drak was the inspiration for this! I think I need to do low altitude transition back to hover so I donā€™t have to descend far. Will take some practice.