Cannot get my drone in air (dead battery, no tune)

The good thing. I am learning more and more to read (and interpret) logs with mission planner without still having an own Ardupilot compatible FC. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

No sir, I did not miss anything exept the current calibration. My power module is this:

This is the Description of the same:
Input voltage: 6~30V (2~8S)
Output voltage: 5.3V ± 0.1V
Maximum output current: 3A
Maximum current: 90A
Maximum voltage: 30V
6P cable can be directly connected to APM/Pixhawk flight control
Additional 4P rows of pin-free to wire/PIN to connect to another flight control
Dimensions: 25mm x 21mm x 9mm
Weight: 17g (containing all the wire/plug is not included)

Yes the battery was fully charged, and yes the battery is 2200 mah, 80C(Not sure).
I just couldn’t understand 2 things,
1st Why on Land Failsafe why would it increase altitude on its own.
2nd Even when the graph shows the dip hits 10.5 several times before it triggered FS. Why after 30 seconds it triggered failsafe?
Regards

Showing the picture is fine but helpless.
Also your summary of specification is fine but not what I wanted.
Manufacturer / Brand / Manual
Exact description of all pins of the connector as on this is giveb the information the FC used to determine the voltage and current.
Also I don’t think, that you really read all information. Otherwise you would know that you can change the timelimit how long the FC waits until it triggers failsafe after it reach the low voltage value. This is that not some single pulses directly will trigger the failsafe. How your drone act after FS triggered is also defined by some settings. These I don’t have checked.

Manufacturer / Brand / Manual
These power modules are local maybe and do not have a brand or manufacturer, they were just ordered from FlyRobo website. So I am unable to find the exact manual.

I tried looking it up online but only got results how long the FC waits for the Radio lost control. And found this only RC_FS_TIMEOUT.

And I still could not understand why in Battery Failsafe it would increase its altitude.
Regards.

Is the picture above a picture from YOUR power module or just a picture you picked up somewhere. If it is not exact that power module you have, why you don’t send a picture of yours.
If the module is a locale one, ok. But also in that case you can provide a link not only to a shop but directly to the product you bought.
Based on you last .bin file

• the BATT_LOW_VOLT is set to 10.8V
  • the BATT_CRT_VOLT is set to 10.5V
  • the BATT_LOW_TIMER is set to 10s
  • the BATT_FS_LOW_ACT is disabled
  • the BATT_FS_CRT_ACT is set to 1 - LAND
    but
  • the FS_OPTIONS only Bit 4 is set “Continue if in pilot controlled modes on GCS failsafe”

So due to these parameters failsafe is triggered if the voltage drops below 10.5 V for more than 10sec. But nothing will really happen due to the FS_OPTIONS setting.
If the shown voltage values are the correct ones I can’t say as I don’t know if and how you calibrated your power module.
You said that you did all correct but you didn’t read the documentation about battery failsafe. So I have a little doubt that you really did this.
First Time Setup - Mandatory Hardware Configuration - Failsafe - Battery Failsafe

Please describe exactly step by step how you calculated and set the BATT parameters, especially following values:

• BATT_VOLTMULT
  • BATT_AMP_PERVOLT
  • BATT_AMP_OFFSET
  • BATT_VOLT_OFFSET

@adityapruthi01 you are clearly not following the Blog post. If you were you would have sag compensated voltage monitoring configured already and the battery parameters would be correct.

In my opinion you are very clearly waisting your time and ours.

Other users accept our help, follow instructions and solve their problems. You refuse to follow most of the stuff we recommend.

Prove me wrong by posting a .zip file with your edited intermediate parameter files.

1 Like

Since APR23, incredible.

Yes sir, the picture above is the same one that I have got,

Here’s the link

No sir, The power module is indeed set correctly. I only know this by saying that the HUD displayes the exact value(volts) that my voltmeter/battery charger displays. As said earlier, only current calibration is not done.

I’ve seen all these thoroughly but nowhere I saw that why would it gain altitude. Nor after what time it will trigger the failsafe.
My apologies if I missed anything
Regards

Sir you literally left after i mistakenly took a flight after thinking the new motors will help. You didn’t even considered. For the param files, I’m new to all this and a bit weak in terms of reading and understanding long blog posts. I try me best. If I were to read the documentation and solve my problems i would never have created this thread in the first place. If I am weak in some thing, and you know that, you should atleast do not leave me alone knowing that I have an important project. But you had to ask me to send you intermediate param files which I had no clue about. Only if there would be a post seen timer, you would see how many hours I spent on taking literal notes of your “How to tune your quadcopter methodically”. But still I am slow paced learner and I admit that. Yet, I have apologised every single time to all of you seniors. And yes, I am still sorry for asking help for a thing that is already available on a blog, or taking a flight when you did not advised. You all are great enthusiastic people, much ahead than a newbie like me. Nobody helped me like @dkemxr did. But I cannot do anything when you don’t reply. I daily struggle on my own, I buy stuff, replace things, troubleshoot, read this thread from the very beginning, and still there are always somethings that are going to offend you or dave. I am a slow leaner, weak learner. Do you know what will happen if you guys stop replying to me? I will fail my major. But this is a decorated forum. I cannot beg you guys also.
I again am sorry sir. I will try to follow the tuning blog again. You have all the right to not even give this a read and shut me off. I’ll take that even being sorry.
Regards

Just read the beginning of section 2 !

Prove me wrong by posting a .zip file with your edited intermediate parameter files.

Just read one Section and do what is in there. Then move on to the next section.

No need to read it all at once. But you do need to read it, especially the beginning of Section 2.

It is hard to believe you:
You now show a chinese crius module but you said you don’t now the manufacturer and brand as it is a local product. So what is it now. What is written on your module exactly. Why you don’t show a picture from that.
But nevertheless it is also possible to go on without this information.
How you in detail compared the voltage between the HUD display and your voltmeter. Did you measure the actual voltage at the same time with the FC / HUD and parallel with a voltmeter?
How you connected the voltmeter at that moment?
Describe it so detailed that a small pre school child or a senile senior like me can understand.
On the page I linked above is clearly writen:

"When the failsafe will trigger
If enabled and set-up correctly the battery failsafe will trigger if the main battery’s

• voltage drops below the voltage held in the BATT_LOW_VOLT parameter (or FS_BATT_VOLTAGE in older versions) for more than 10 seconds. The default voltage is 10.5 volts. If set to zero, the voltage based trigger will be disabled.

"

Out of your questions I believe you didn’t read these simple information. As @amilcarlucas said, you didn’t follow the guide.
I can’t say why your drone gain altitude, your last log file only show that it was always in stabilized mode. So I assume you controlled it all the time.
But again before any flight and maybe any cost intensive further crash follow the guide.
To set the right parameters of the power-module you don’t need an extra amperemeter or wattmeter, you only can follow the instructions @dkemxr gave you on Mar 3rd:

All you need is a charger that provides mah put back in the battery and it’s simple to calculate a correct amps/volt value from the ratio of mah logged to mah re-charged.

So, charge your battery to full. Make a motor test run on the bench. Note the consumed mAh (CurrTot) Recharge the battery again to full. Note the recharged mAh.
Due to your last log the old amps/volt [BATT_AMP_VOLT] = 17
Calculate: new amps/volt = 17 * recharged mAh / consumed mAh (edited)

You started this thread 11month ago. A long time to read all information.
I first time noticed Ardupilot during September 23.
So I am a newbie as you but I am learning a lot just by looking to your problems.
You are young and flexible, so you can also do it.

1 Like

Alright, one more comment about the battery and forget about it. In the last log you posted it was not at full charge (only 11.6V) when you started or you screwed up the voltage calibration. I don’t care which, figure it out for yourself ,we have given you all the info required:

Your other major problem is the outputs are oscillating. It could be because you did not set all the Rate PID parameters as suggested. This is what that looks like:

So, because you have not shown that you can follow instructions given I’ll post a parameter file here that you can simply load to update the required parameters. In Mission planner go to the Full Parameters List Screen, select “load from file”, pick this file and then press the “Write Params” button.

Fully charge your battery and/or calibrate the voltage sensor and then make another hover flight in Stabilize for ~30 seconds. Don’t bounce it off the ground, don’t make multiple take-off attempts. Get it in the air and then land. No more flights, just one and then post a link to that log file.
f450.param (190 Bytes)

Here you go sir, I don’t want to prove anyone wrong just need your guidance.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gv4Bb8WlMuELfAB41wAF7tMBjxq7MjGl?usp=sharing

I tried my best. Still apologise if this is also wrong.
Regards.

Sir actually there is no brand written on the module, its just bare pcb, I’ll post a picture in few hours if that’s the case. Also, We ordered from the same link which you say chinese.

I have something like this:

This is accurate and maches with my skyrc B6 charger volatges. I used voltage from this and entered into the battery calibration voltage tab of mission planner.

Sir I know the 10 second timer(that is for low batt volt), I am just confused that when only my critical batt voltage was set to 10.5 volts, then how after 30 seconds it triggered the land. Maybe I’m still missing a param that;s there for this.

It could be due to high vibrations, I will test this tomorrow morning sir by enabling battery low voltage failsafe.

Yes, I have this noted down, just wanted to ask, that I can reverse the props and run them at max speed for this calculation right? Or should I take a flight and then proceed?
Sincere Regards.

Hi dave, glad to see you are back.
Apologies for anything in the past.

Umm, alright, but just for info, I take my battery out of the charger, when it fully completes 12.6 volts. So maybe its the power module.

Are these what you are talking about?
I did them exactly like you told dave, I don’t know where I went wrong, I’ll run them again.

Can’t thank you enough for this. Means alot.

Will do this first thing tomorrow morning.
Sincere Regards

I copied that from a previous post where I said to also update the Roll values to the same. I assumed this would be obvious. But no matter, just load the parameter file I posted and it will do it.

Flashed them just now.
Will update you with this tomorrow morning

My consumed mah in currtot after a flight, shows, 470.33
Battery charger shows mah put back in battery as 841 mah.
So, 17 * 470.33/841 = 9.50
Am i correct?
Regards

Yes, was this a flight test from this morning.
Show .log file

Edit: as my formula was incorrect. See @Janno comment below