Benewake TFmini LIDAR works on Ardupilot

Cool :slight_smile:

I agree, I2C would be really fine !!

I found a cheap SIP to I2C converter so when it arrives I am going to see if it gives me lidar over I2c. Then I can have my second GPS back. Damn pixhawks don’t have enough serial ports

For that you would have to write a new driver, or ‘‘spoof’’ an existing one, that can be done but its more difficult.

You can use uart 5 now , or mavlink the lidar == I am working on a new project base on this, I will write a blog soon , stay tuned :wink:

Hey thanks man. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. In the mean time I think I will buy a GPS that uses the CAN port. This will give me dual GPS while still allowing me to use the Lidar. I just wish you could daisy chain the Lidar or other such serial devices

https://zubax.com/products/gnss_2

Tadam !!..TFMINI as a Maxbotix I2C emulation :wink:

1 Like

I have written the Blog
How to make the TFMINI rangefinder talk I2C

Hi Siya… im new member of this community.
i need a little bit of help to set up my new tf mini lidar on my pixhawk.
When im connecting on mission planner the sonar info is giving me 4.21 and is variable, and the voltage is 1.32 variable…, i don’t know if the parameters are corrects. I connected the lidar on i2c splitter…

Hi ppoirier, im David new member of this community, i just need of help just in case my tf mini is not working on i2c of pixhawk 1 how i can wire it on arduino mini pro and how i must configure it on arduino and after this on mission planner.
Hope in a your positive help

Have you read my blog above?

hi… ppoirier, yes but i cannot understand very well coz i dont have enough experience on this… im beginner

There are excellent tutorials on the web for Arduino, gain some experience and get back to this project whe you feel ready :slight_smile:

i know… only i need of a drone for my work, that’s whwi need to set a lidar

You can use the serial interface then ?

me for now I’ve connected the lidar on the i2c of the pixhawk… after I have done the connection the parameter of the sensor is 4.21 variable and the voltage is 1.32 variable… this is what mission planner show me

Hi, David. I have invited engineer to pay attention to this topic. Would you pls check some tutorials for Arduino and also ppoirier’s blog first and tell your specific questions, or send email to Benewake support :blush:

hi Siya, ive already sent an email to benewake but didn’t help, ive also placed an order of the arduino mini pro so i can wire the sonar, but i need help or the steps for configure the board like ppoirier’s blog and maybe ive solved the problem

Hi,David.

This is a simple diagram.
If you have any question you could send email to me.

hi mincy, thanks… for what kind of lidar is this scheme, after i have soldered all the wiring how i can set up the arduino boar and the parameters.
My email is dchaim84@gmail. com… yours?

Good pm, after few time of trials maybe my lidar is working but i don’t know if the parameters are corrects

I have tested the tfmini on the TF software, changed the Device command to 47 57 02 00 00 00 04 06 and confirmed the serial output was getting readings through Tera Term. However, after changing my mission planner parameters to be configured with the serial 4/5 port I still see no reading through mission planner. Do i need an update on the lidar firmware? Any other suggestions? Also I tried modifying the ‘LightWare’ serial driver but that was locally through my computer. Would I have to flash settings onto the pixhawk with an SD card to change the Lightware serial driver?
Thank you