Bathymatric mapping --urgent help--

now the good news: i managed to get a depth reading inside missionplanner.
i connected the TX and RX from serial port 4 from my pixhawk to an UART TTL → RS422 modifier. (see picture)
the NMEA 0183 cable from lowrance than is connected to this (the thicker wire with 4 smaller wires in blue,green,yellow,orange)
i set the lowrance output sentences to only “DPT” and a baudrate of 4800 (however, any baudrate should work i guess, as long as SERIAL4_BAUD is set the same.)

Great work - Can you give specifics for the pins on the serial port on Pixhawk and the setting in Mission planner. I have tried for a while and have not succeeded at this so this is great information.
Thanks

1 Like

The answer to this question can be found at Lowrance NMEA 0183 to Cube Orange - #10 by RDodds

Hello rmackay9. How did you manage or get the nmea to reefmaster? I tried that 1 year ago over nmea out and couldn’t get it to work. Please see my post. Thank you. https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/arduboat-live-depth-to-gcs-map-or-reefmaster/93173

@rmackay9 rmackay9 Hello, Master, there are only a few SERIAL ports on our FC. I noticed that the wireless data transmission of the ground station is bidirectional, but other modules such as GPS are basically unidirectional. Only RX pin is used, while TX pin is not used. Also let this port TX output signal such as NMEA?

Hi @admired,

It’s not possible to mix the use of the RX and TX pins. Also even for the GPS, AP does automatically configure the GPS at startup so both RX and TX pins are used.

It might help to replace some of the serial sensors (including the GPS) with CAN equivalents. Another more complex alternative is to attach an AP_Periph device which can run the AP sensor drivers (which may use Serial) but then connect to the autopilot using CAN.

Just a note for visitors to this thread. If you are considering inputing data into lowrance (RS232 or RS422) check out these other threads, and note the fixed RS422 wiring diagram.

1 Like

I have a Lowrance HDS7 and it also outputs NMEA0183 data on port 10110

Here’s a sample.

$GPGGA,172213,0,01,M,M,63
$GPGLC,73
$GPGLL,172213,V,N
$GPGSA,A,1,21,1D
$GPRMC,172213,V,120323,7.1,W,N
$GPVTG,T,M,N,K,N
2C
$GPZDA,172213,12,03,2023,06,0049
$GPAAM,N,38
$GPAPB,N
$GPBOD,T,M,47
$GPRMB,N
$GPXTE,N,N
5E
$SDDBT,45
$SDMTW,24.1,C
$SDVLW,N,0.0,N,N,N74
$IIHDG,67
$SDVHW,T,M,N,K
$WIMWD,T,M,N,M
5A
$WIMWV,R,N,V34
$WIMWV,T,N,V
$IIXDR,C,C,AIRTEMP,A,D,HEEL,A,D,TRIM,P,B,BARO,A,D,RUDDER*07
$IIHDG,*67

Just to add my 5 cents:

You can enable deeper Pro ball sonar to send NMEA messages without phone or app.

here is commands:

It will send back UDP packets to any device that sent deeper command to send NMEA messages over UDP