Autotune on a bench

Hi,
Has anyone tried autotuning on a bench gimbal (wire, etc…).
Do you think/know that would work?
I’m working with a 5inch.

Thanks.

It should be possible to rig something up but it would need to be light, rigid and pass exactly through center of mass.
Though auto tune should be done on an already flyable drone so I would say that there is no point really to do so.

I would say not worth it at all.
Just do a quality build paying careful attention to vibration damping and motor order and rotation.
Run the Initial Parameters calculator
then adjust these params and it should fly OK
ATC_ANG_RLL_P,12
ATC_ANG_PIT_P,12
ATC_ANG_YAW_P,6
ATC_RAT_RLL_P,0.06
ATC_RAT_RLL_I,0.06
ATC_RAT_RLL_D,0.001
ATC_RAT_PIT_P,0.06
ATC_RAT_PIT_I,0.06
ATC_RAT_PIT_D,0.001
INS_HNTCH_ENABLE,1 ← set this then refresh params to see the rest
INS_HNTCH_MODE,1
INS_HNTCH_REF,0.13
INS_HNTCH_FREQ,150
INS_HNTCH_BW,75
INS_HNTCH_FM_RAT,0.7
INS_LOG_BAT_MASK,1
INS_LOG_BAT_OPT,4

The Harmonic notch filter will need some adjustment after AltHold flight testing.

Here’s one thing that came to mind: A propellers effectiveness is not only from it’s rotational speed, but the induced flow of air as a result of the crafts movements. By not letting the quad move through space as it would when flying you’re significantly altering the airflow, and therefor altering the reaction the flight controller would see during autotune. Supposing you could make a perfect gimbal system that would not impose any frictions to the movements of the quad, the tune that you would get would not be representative of what the quad would be doing in flight.

Long story short: Just follow the wiki and use the initial tuning parameters tool to get started.