ArduCopter 5" Long-Range Standard Build

Pull request is done.thanks

Yea it is. Page down to ESC Telemetry.
ESC Telem

This was updated several months ago for the same reason you are pointing out.

That won’t work with most 4in1’s. I have an exception with an Ori32 but these are more expensive to produce, larger and heavier. Nice though.

I’m lost now concerning ESC telemetry from 4-in-1 ESCs : does it work or not ? The link to the wiki page you mentioned says y it works and explicitly mentions H7 mini as a supported board. But it does not work (ESC telemetry) in my current experience with a H7 mini and its 4-in-1 Tekko ESC (using Dshot 600).
I probably do not know some other information to take into account for it to work ?

Sure it works but they don’t often have current data. As I said there are very few 4in1 ESC’s that have a current shunt resister for each of the 4 sections. Much more common is 1 (or 2 in series/parallel) shunt resister for total current. This signal is supplied on the analog current out pin of the ESC. And so unless it does have individual current shunts then no current is present in the ESC telemetry data. Your only choice is total current on the analog pin of the ESC.

Note: I have a the same FC in a 4" quad and ESC Telemetry works fine. In my case current is available via telemetry for the reason I gave above showing the photo of an ESC that does that. Your Tekko will supply telemetry just no current thru it.

Not so. Here it is:
Bat

It works. I have this stack and it works fine (just not current - you have to get that via the individual current wire).

I get indeed individual ESC voltage measurement. But hwo to get the global average of these four individual voltages ? (batt voltage 2 is always zero in mission planner)

Is BATT2_MONITOR set for ESC (9) ?

Example. In my case BATT 1 (0 in the log) is from ESC Telemetry and BATT 2 (1 in the log) is from the Flight Controller. You would configure them the opposite.

I’m pretty sure the default setup simply reads the voltage from VBAT without needing to interpret the ESC telemetry stream - I get a correct voltage measurement without setting my sensor to ESC telemetry.

Ok ESC telemetry provides a global battery voltage monitoring but to avoid it displaying zero, the batt2_options parameter needs to be set (in addition to selecting the ESC type for batt monitor2):

I have added a final video and updated the tuned settings to reflect where I got to. I’m very pleased with this build - it works really well.

These video series are solid gold!

I just finished (well, finished for now) tuning a 3.5” Cinewhoop-styled Shen Terraplane with the latest revision of the Kakute H7 Mini. After a few shaky starts, I can report that I’m REALLY happy with it.

It always behaved poorly with a rev1 MatekH743Mini, which I think can be attributed to board design, since they quickly revised that board. The ICM20602 on that board always seemed highly susceptible to vibration, no matter what I did. The single BMI270 reports FAR less vibration on the exact same frame/motors (but maybe slightly better damping, so I shouldn’t be too quick to judge IMUs, though my last few tuning attempts on the Matek board proved completely futile and near catastrophic!).

Of note for the KakuteH7Mini-Nand firmware, the only Copter target has BDSHOT enabled on the first four outputs, though it isn’t obvious by the firmware name alone.

I even loaded the 4.4-dev firmware today just to see how the new yaw-D autotune might play out. I know it’s designed more for larger frames, and it certainly didn’t do anything amazing for the tune (yaw D settled at 0.001, probably because that’s the min allowable :slight_smile:), but it was cool to watch it in action, nonetheless.

I also enabled wind estimation/baro compensation, which I can report is a bit tedious but very effective! Maybe I’ll look into a helper script, as @priseborough and Tridge discussed in the video presentation a year or two ago…although that wouldn’t help the H7 Mini, since it has no file system for scripting.

2 Likes

Hi Andy.

Please help me tuning ACRO mode for 5 inch quad (apex5 frame, about 700g weight)

I’m make auto tuning, but this very bad for acro - wobbles a lot after roll or pitch or yaw.
I’m incresing D for roll and pitch - more better but in high throttle - also starts to shake - because big D.
I’m include logs.
10 01.01.1970 3-00-01.bin - Google Drive,
11 01.01.1970 3-00-01.bin - Google Drive

Did you see the video series I just did on this? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_O9QDs-WAVyPrHMBa5SC_AF-u5Bx2Gy_

This copter looks very powerful, can you share some details of the motor setup?

Xing2207 1855kv. Mambah743 esc 50a. 6s 1300ma.
Im try watch your videos. But im think im need such TPA as in betaflight ? :slight_smile:

Wobble at high throttle is usually an incorrect value for MOT_THST_EXPO

You should not need to increase D from autotuned values. Which log shows the wobbles?

So I suspect what has happened is that your copter is so powerful that MOT_THST_HOVER has hit the minimum of 0.125 - which means I think the tuned PIDs will be wrong. Really we should relax that constraint.

Im install 4.4 and make auto tune again. And after acro flying im send new logs.

But what im need if my quad so powerful? Any recommendations for tuning? Hover trust - stay in learning and save mode. Thst expo - this is from tuning guide - mission planner make calculation from 5inch.

For acro - im have overshot after roll or flip or yaw maneuver. Increase d helps. But high throttle - bad

Please turn on PID logging and full rate attitude logging and send the autotune log.

Your copter is not actually as powerful as mine so should be fine

I’m think after last auto tune with 4.4 fw i’m have more better results in ACRO.

How increasing speed of stick reaction?

There are many things you can change to tailor the pilot feel

ACRO_RP_EXPO
ACRO_Y_EXPO
ACRO_RP_RATE_TC
ACRO_Y_RATE_TC
RCx_DZ
ATC_INPUT_TC

etc