An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

Dave, could you please check latest version on github it has an option to pause telemetry, let’s see if it solves the edgetx issue

Hi Mike,
thanks for your feedback!

Heading uses ArduPilot’s yaw, if you saw a moving compass ribbon on the main screen than the arrow had to move.
My widget does not use standard CRSF sensors, it uses custom telemetry, so if you had yaw in your sensors but the widget was frozen it means you had no custom telemetry flowing and therefore no moving arrow.

This is how I control zoom using trims, I’d rather not chase every possible way of overriding channels but trims should work just fine
You need to keep the trim “pressed” for a short while to let the widget pick it up!

And finally CRSF in RF Mode 1 is simply too slow to carry custom telemetry, there really is nothing I can do to “fix” it, CRSF receivers switch to RF mode 1 quite early, this is a known “limit”.

cheers,
Alex

1 Like

yes i did check 1 to 20
i did redo maps all good now

1 Like

Thanks for coming back on all questions Alex.

I use the trims to switch pages already and will try your approach of the mixer for zoom next.

Maybe the heading is also related to RFMD 1 then. I dont recall the telemetry script on X9 was that sensitive to the RF mode but I guess there is no way to use the standard telemetry in the widget then.
That would allow the widget to continue to work, at least for basic stuff and navigation.

Thanks.

Hey, I also noticed that on RFMD 1 makes the script very laggy and barely usable when somehow video gets killed (happened once 9km away on DJI and I was pretty afraid if my plane would come back as the script was updating veeeeery slowly and also was dropping some weird error messages of IMU crash, emergency landing etc - but it came back).
Anyway - maybe it would be possible to use some code from the LUA telemetry script? I do use it on INAV planes with Crossfire and the flight data there seems to be accurate and pretty quickly updated. Just a though.

I simply did not want to use standard CRSF sensors for they do not cover telemetry at 100% (No airspeed, waypoints, wind, etc).
Refresh rate for standard sensors is around 1Hz.
RF Mode discards most custom telemetry frames so no way to have a reliable status text messages stream.
What I can do is a hybrid approach: either use custom telemetry or standard telemetry based on RF Mode, should work and be better than the current freeze.

And it will require some memory, so hard to say it will be available on Taranis radios, expecially on the older not 2019 models

1 Like

I see. The question is whether it would be better to have a limited telemetry script that works with longer ranges anyway? Actually why do we need that script for flying is the most important factor here, like how do people use it. For now I use it mostly for audio callouts on battery level and that’s it but in case you lose video and need to fly back using instruments (if you don’t want RTH) then I think a limited telemetry but with good update rate would be better.

1 Like

Thanks Alex, it does.

1 Like

With Ethos 1.4.2 and Crossfire only NO TELEMETRY / NO GPS is reported, although 9-11 sats incl. 3D fix are available. CRSF is set in the setup.

What could be the reason?

Widget is 1.0.0e dev.

Hi, can’t reproduce it. I updated from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 power cycled the radio and it just works, anything special you might have done? I’m on crsf fw 6.19

1 Like

Is there a particular ELRS receiver that you have been testing with Ethos and Yaapu? It seems that some do not support telemetry. I have the Matek ELRS R24 S bookmarked for purchase. In addition to my flight controller, I plan to have GPS, Lidar, and a pitot reporting telemetry.

1 Like

No, nothing special. I had already tested the widget successfully with ELRS, so I am now surprised that it does not work with Crossfire. My CF is also on FW 6.19

1 Like

Is my problem maybe with widget version 1.0.0e? In your last screenshot I can see version 1.0.0f.

As you can see here, I have probably 9 sats, according to widget but no GPS …

ethos_yaapu_no_gps

yes, you need version 1.0.0f, ethos 1.4.1 changed the crossfire lua bindings

Just a quick note, when I installed 1.0.0f, it reports as version e as shown in Reinhard’s screenshot above. I upgraded from version d.

ouch, you are absolutely right…I messed it up :slight_smile: now it’s updated

With 1.0.0f dev …

ethos_yaapu_no_gps_f

What must be selected in the setup under Link quality source?

Whatever you like, btw did you enable custom telemetry in ardupilot by setting rc_options +=256?

It must work, can’t think of a reason it should not work

Wasn’t it always the case that “RSSI” must be present as a telemetry value?

Here there are only “RSS1” and “RSS2”, regardless of whether ELRS or Crossfire.

This option is required with my widgets

1 Like